Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hey guys I need some advice on choosing a car

I have been lurking on this site for a while and have offered advice where I can (Taurus & Mark VIII electric fans). I currently have a nice 93 Saleen Mustang that I bought and love. This is the first Ford I have ever owned. I have always been a GM guy especially Camaros. I have owned 70, 71, 73, 74, 79, 85 T/A, 87 T/A, 95 Z28 and a 96 SS Camaro, and plenty of Olds 442's, 69 & 70 Chevelles but that was back in the days of finding them cheap and affordable. My problem is that although I love my Saleen and have wanted one for a while (yes it gets a ton of looks and thumbs up too) but I find myself almost uncontrollably drawn to 70-73 Camaros again. I absolutley love the PT look. I love a car to handle (one reason I love the Saleen) and the shear look of these cars. I'm not looking for a Kyle Tucker, Brian Finch or a Mike Yale's car ( I know I left some of the other awesome 2nd Gen cars but these came to mind). I know these cars take years and lots of $$$$ thrown at them. I would be looking for a car that someone has done the suspension or engine or hell even just a nice clean driver to start with. I just don't know what to do. I have a guy here in FL that has a really nice 73 that has had a lot of restoration stuff done to it mainly all the suspension work back to original, but that would be fine for now. I thought we had a trade worked out but he is having his first baby and needs the money. Tell me what you guys think. Sorry for the long thread.

p.s. I just found out that the 73 was sold today but I found a 70 SS350 just as nice.

1993 Saleen Mustang for sale in signature.
      SOLD: 1993 Saleen Mustang #20, 1 of 56 Hatchbacks, 17" Sterns, Black & Gold.
      www.fquick.com/SS1156
      1970 Camaro SS clone..... just getting started on it

Tough to beat a 2nd gen- truth be told, they're actually a great car to do a budget build since they came from the factory with a WAY better suspension design than a lot of 60s-era muscle. Look at Mary pozzi's car-- a consistent winner with a mildly-upgraded stock-configuration suspension.

I'd look for a good driver, like you said. From there, all you really need are subframe connectors, springs, shocks, swaybars, and bushings to get to an excellent car. From there, a set of contol arms and brakes and you're up another notch. Everything beyond that is more than 85% of people can take advantage of (myself included!).

Quote Originally Posted by formula View Post
      Tough to beat a 2nd gen- truth be told, they're actually a great car to do a budget build since they came from the factory with a WAY better suspension design than a lot of 60s-era muscle. Look at Mary pozzi's car-- a consistent winner with a mildly-upgraded stock-configuration suspension.

I'd look for a good driver, like you said. From there, all you really need are subframe connectors, springs, shocks, swaybars, and bushings to get to an excellent car. From there, a set of contol arms and brakes and you're up another notch. Everything beyond that is more than 85% of people can take advantage of (myself included!).
      Hey Wes, Thanks for the vote of confidence. I checked out your fquick page and it looks awesome. I didn't know that you could get a Chevy 350 w/ a 4 spd factory in a Formula? Are you sure it wasn't a factory 400 car w/ a 4 spd? My buddy is a Pontiac guy and he even found that to be weird. I know the early 80's T/A's and Formula's were Chevy motors when you ordered a 4 spd. I love the car man. How wide of a tire do you have back there? Did you mini-tub the car? I think I may have found the car of my dreams. I just need to sell the Saleen.

Anyone looking for a rare 93 Saleen Mustang? 1 of 56 hatchbacks, 1 of 3 Black & Gold Saleens that year, there other 2 are verts, 1 of 2 sunroof cars. Let me know. I have plenty of pics at www.fquick.com/ss1156
      www.fquick.com/SS1156

Quote Originally Posted by SS1156 View Post
      Hey Wes, Thanks for the vote of confidence. I checked out your fquick page and it looks awesome. I didn't know that you could get a Chevy 350 w/ a 4 spd factory in a Formula? Are you sure it wasn't a factory 400 car w/ a 4 spd? My buddy is a Pontiac guy and he even found that to be weird. I know the early 80's T/A's and Formula's were Chevy motors when you ordered a 4 spd. I love the car man. How wide of a tire do you have back there? Did you mini-tub the car? I think I may have found the car of my dreams. I just need to sell the Saleen.

Anyone looking for a rare 93 Saleen Mustang? 1 of 56 hatchbacks, 1 of 3 Black & Gold Saleens that year, there other 2 are verts, 1 of 2 sunroof cars. Let me know. I have plenty of pics at www.fquick.com/ss1156

Yup, got the build sheet and window sticker to prove it. My car was a custom order through a dealer in northern new york, so I wonder if it wasn't a canada-spec car or something that was redirected. Based on a lot of other little physical-evidence things, everything that was in there was factory when I got ahold of it. That's why I didn't feel that bad chopping up a low-mile car like it, since no pontiac guy ever believed it was real in the first place. I've had people stand in front of the car, build sheet in one hand, window sticker in the other, tell me that it wasn't factory. Oh well, now it's DEFINITELY not factory, problem solved.

Thanks for all the kind words. The backs are 325s, I had to tub because of the air ride--only way to get much wider than a 9.5 under there and still be able to air it all the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by formula View Post
      Yup, got the build sheet and window sticker to prove it. My car was a custom order through a dealer in northern new york, so I wonder if it wasn't a canada-spec car or something that was redirected. Based on a lot of other little physical-evidence things, everything that was in there was factory when I got ahold of it. That's why I didn't feel that bad chopping up a low-mile car like it, since no pontiac guy ever believed it was real in the first place. I've had people stand in front of the car, build sheet in one hand, window sticker in the other, tell me that it wasn't factory. Oh well, now it's DEFINITELY not factory, problem solved.

Thanks for all the kind words. The backs are 325s, I had to tub because of the air ride--only way to get much wider than a 9.5 under there and still be able to air it all the way out.
      How do you like those Scat seats? I was looking at those, 4th Gen T/A power seats or maybe someolder Recaros. I think this era car needs seats with headrests, just my taste. I think those look factory in your car. I like to PT a car but make it look oem, well except for the fat ass wheels & rubbers in the back.....lol. I really need t sell the Saleen. I found a kick ass Camaro that has a/c & works!!!!

Do you have any suggestions where to find used wheels?
      www.fquick.com/SS1156

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com