Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

header wrap question

i have a set on hooker super competition longtube headers, and was wondering how much header wrap would be sufficient for each header? because i dont want to order too much, or not enough. they sell it in 1"x 15` 2"x25` and 2"x 50`. what do i need to do both headers? thanks -Dom
      Dom Buffa
      69 Camaro- 2JZ /Garrett 67MM, Ls1 13" Front disc conversion, 18" ROH 3 piece Modenas

Country Flag: United States
      Why? Header wrap is not a good thing on a street car. Spend the money and get them JetHot coated. Works far better then the wrap and actually helps longevitiy rather then hurting it...
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
      Why? Header wrap is not a good thing on a street car. Spend the money and get them JetHot coated. Works far better then the wrap and actually helps longevitiy rather then hurting it...
      Mark
      Hey Mark, why is header wrap not good? I was thinking about using it on one of my cars....
      JC Scott

from what i understand the wrap keeps more moisture than you would have with a coating. which would eventually assist in rusting the headers...thats how it was explained to me anyway...
      Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

wir müssen Leben bis wir Sterben...

I would love to know the truth about header wrap.

However, it seems to me the heat generated on the headers would burn off any mosisture on the wrap......if they're was any.

Quote Originally Posted by gmjj13 View Post
      from what i understand the wrap keeps more moisture than you would have with a coating. which would eventually assist in rusting the headers...thats how it was explained to me anyway...
      MarkK

Quote Originally Posted by BossaNova View Post
      I would love to know the truth about header wrap.

However, it seems to me the heat generated on the headers would burn off any moisture on the wrap......if they're was any.
      yes, while running...

but when you park, i would think the opposite happens, as exhaust cools, it draws in moisture from the outside air (this is why water always runs out the tailpipe of a car)

so when the exhaust cools, it would draw in moisture, thru the wrap, and the wrap would hinder evaporation.

just looks sloppy to me, i say save up for ceramic coating

I think the biggest downfall to wrap is when installed properly (soaked, stretched, wrapped tightly), it does not allow the tubes to expand when they heat up. This puts excess stress on the tubes and can case them to crack.

The moisture isn't an issue, just makesure to coat them with a really good hi-temp paint before hand.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

One thing that helps accelerate corrosion is heat. Uncoated, your header could dissipate heat to the engine compartment. While the heat lowers underhood temperature, it's trapping all the heat in the steel. Faster corrosion, more thermal growth, etc. A header coating inside and out will have a lower heat transfer rate into the steel, and reduce underhood temperatures.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      One thing that helps accelerate corrosion is heat. Uncoated, your header could dissipate heat to the engine compartment. While the heat lowers underhood temperature, it's trapping all the heat in the steel. Faster corrosion, more thermal growth, etc. A header coating inside and out will have a lower heat transfer rate into the steel, and reduce underhood temperatures.
      this is also true for stainless steel not just mild steel.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

they have been coated with 2000 degrees header paint , and then i was going to wrap them if that helps any!? they aren't the newest headers and the best looking since they are older but they still work great and sound good. and they are holding my engine bay back from looking good . -Dom
      Dom Buffa
      69 Camaro- 2JZ /Garrett 67MM, Ls1 13" Front disc conversion, 18" ROH 3 piece Modenas

Header wraps are designed to keep the heat in the header to improve scavenging of the cylinders. Keeping the heat in the header allows the exhaust speed to remain high. It also lowers under hood temperatures.

To install it properly, you must wrap your headers off the engine. Don't try to install the wrap with the headers on the car. Also, use the silicone header paint on the header, let it dry for an hour or so and then heavily coat the wrap once your done installing it. This will resolve any possible moisture issues.

To completely wrap a set of headers it will take 3 - 50 ft rolls @ 2" wide.

1967 Chevelle SS Convertible
      1969 Camaro Ex-Race Car
      1967 Camaro RS/SS Top Sportsman (Sold-Now in Australia)

Not meaning to hi jack the thread but does some one care to explain to me how to soak the wrap and what to soak it in.
      Last edited by Jay84SS; 08-17-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
      Jonathan

1984 Monte Carlo SS

As one who works for a header manufacturer, here is a bit of info without getting too involved.
      First thing to think about - I do not know of a single header manufacturer that will warranty headers that have been wrapped. We definitely take that tact and so did Hooker when I worked there.

Now, why? the two biggest problems are thus; One they can actually hold more heat in the header than the tubing can handle, raising temperatures beyond the level of improvements to flow (the whole reason for doing it in the first place) causing problems for the tubing. The header tubing relies on cool air to dissipate excessive heat and the wraps block this.

Two, Headers Oxidize. During use header tubing oxidizes and loses material, this is the physics involved with the material through the heat cycling of normal use. Header wraps accelerates this oxidation and causes the headers to become thin and crack. In fact they will actually oxidize from the inside out because the tubing is holding so much heat. Metallic Ceramic coatings on the other hand create a chemical reaction during use that creates an iron aluminide that inhibits oxidation, which extends the life of the tubing.
      How bad can this accelerated tubing wear be? Back when wraps first became popular many NASCAR teams used them and found that they were having to replace the headers after just about every race. You won't find them using full wraps any more.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'

Quote Originally Posted by Jay84SS View Post
      Not meaning to hi jack the thread but does some one care to explain to me how to soak the wrap and what to soak it in.
      There is nothing to soak. You want to make sure you clean your headers well with a degreaser/cleaner and then paint the headers with a silicone based high temp header wrap paint. Then after you install the wrap, heavily coat the wrap with the same paint. They make a silicone based header wrap paint that works very well. The coating will cure and harden when the header temp reaches 400 degrees.

I have been wrapping header for over 10 years and have never had a problem with any deterioration to the header material, rust or any other problem that would cause me to try and warranty a header. Most header manufacturers only warranty headers for 1 year against manufacturers defects, so trying to warranty a rusted header probably wouldn't fly anyway.
      1969 Camaro Ex-Race Car

ofcours you can always header wrap your ceramic coated headers. to help prevend iven more heat under the hood!!!!!!! no damege ore corosion done there ...

My Hooker Super Competition Headers are ceramic coated. We gave them a light sanding, painted them, wrapped them and painted the wrap as described above.

Here you can see a picture of them when we had to cut and move one of the tubes to clear the new rack and pinion steering shaft. You can also see the condition of these headers. These headers are 5 years old and have been wrapped since they were originally installed.

1969 Camaro Ex-Race Car

Quote Originally Posted by Jay84SS View Post
      Some brands of header wrap do recommend that you soak them in water before installing the wrap. It makes it more flexible during installation. If you do it with the black stuff, you will have very black hands afterwords!
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'

Nothing "sloppy" about that wrap job. Looks awesome.

I'm doing it!

[/QUOTE]

MarkK

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com