Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

CS144 Alt Sense lead

Getting only 12v when the 70 Chevelle is running and the Alt tests good under load putting our 14v at the local Autozone. I have the S lead strapped directly to the hot wire on back of the alt. then there'a long run back to a pair of batteries in the trunk on a big 4 AWG. i don't want to run the S lead all the way to the back.

I think a 1 volt drop across the S lead will cause the alt to pump out a few more amps. does that make sense?

would a resistor in series with the S lead would work here and if so anyone know the expected amps i should see on the S wire?

Country Flag: United States
      you can also run an adjustible resistor block...isn't the sence wire just an on/off?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

You can run the sense wire to the horn relay junction block. That should give you enough drop to excite the alternator.

I forgot to add that the dash light or gage must be hooked up as well or a resistor must be used in their place to excite the alternator as well.
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

OK strapping the S term to battery post is ok, now run a 12 key on to a 10 amp fuse to the F terminal and if you want an idiot light use thehook the L terminal through a light bulb, most use a 194 type bulb, to a 12 key on source, if alternator lights this up the regualtor turns the light on to tell you its dead. I hate cars that dont use at least the S term strapped to the battery terminal and the F terminal to 12 fused key on.
      My trick was I had a red flat lens from an old dash cluster drilled a small hole somewhere in my dash, super glued the lens over it, then epoxied or made place right behind for a light socket and made my own idiot light and made it small so it was hard to find, you can also use on of the lens with gen on it. if you need a diagram let me know.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I dont know if this write up would help or not but it's pretty informative. I got a freshly rebuilt Napa 144CSI alt for 25 bucks along with the harness from Advance auto for about 15 and it definitely made a improvement!. They have the harness's for both Guages and lights. with a diode built in for either.
      http://photos.imageevent.com/durango...%20Install.pdf

Ernesto M.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com