Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

ISIS Experience: one installation complete

I just finished the installation of a complete ISIS kit (MasterCell, 3 PowerCells, 1 inMOTION controller, RF interface, plus custom programming) on a 69 Z/28 RS. 40 circuits in all. I used every single circuit available, lol.

The whole system, complete with power windows and locks, rear trunk release, dual cooling fans, Vintage Air Gen IV AC, DSE headlight kit, stereo, Fesler driving lights, DSE wiper motor, and DSE dash insert required only two relays.

ISIS is directly driving the fuel pump, fans, headlight motors (no DSE controller needed), A/C compressor (including turning on the fans when the compressor is kicked on), heater valve, headlights, ECM, TCU, power windows, DSE wiper motor (still need the DSE electronics for that), and stereo feed. Plus it is providing all the logic to support turn signals, hazard lights, driving lights, brake lights, and interior lighting.

It's great stuff, and highly recommended. I'm looking forward to another install.

Oh, and ISIS tech and customer service support is outstanding!! Kudos to Jay and Mike for answering all my questions and providing custom programming.

jp
      Last edited by parsonsj; 06-13-2010 at 08:27 AM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Here's a short video of how the headlight kit works with ISIS controlling it:

http://gallery.me.com/iimuchfa#10000...S%20controller

jp
      John Parsons

I'm preparing for an ISIS install myself. Forty circuits? Wow.

Do you have any install pics (for instance, where you mounted the mastercell and powercells)? I'm still trying to plan out my install and may have to pick up another powercell, as I only have two right now.

Thanks.
      Rod
      Rod Keeling
      '67 Camaro Mast L92 / 4L80E (work in progress)

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RodDawg

Did you have any concerns about getting close or slightly exceeding the 25 amp limit for the ISIS powerecll outputs?
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

we have installed 2 systems, it is critical to get three powercells. its a great system, once you get your hands and brain around it.

if you power anything more then 25 amps, you simply add an external relay, and like john said, you only need a few to do an entire car.

2 powercells gets redundant as your running power from the front or back of the car to the under dash area.
      whenever we do them now they will have a master cell and power cell under dash or console, then one in the front and one in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
      Did you have any concerns about getting close or slightly exceeding the 25 amp limit for the ISIS powerecll outputs?
      No.. I've got a few circuits on a 25A fuse. All seems good.

As an example, the fans are supposed to take 30A as part of inrush, but we set up the fan circuits to be soft start, and I've tested them 50 or so starts on 25A, and the fuses are good. Before the soft start programming change the fans would blow a 25A fuse.

I'm with Jake. I think one would normally want 3 PowerCells. Front, cabin, and rear.

I needed the two relays because we ran out of motor circuits on the inMOTION box, and I used the relays to make a reverse polarity circuit for the door locks.

Otherwise the whole system wouldn't have needed any relays.

I'll try and post up some pics tonight.

jp
      John Parsons

Thanks for being one of the guinea pigs for us. I'm just getting ready to do mine and was trying to figure how to run just 2 power cells and agree that starts to defeat the purpose to run wires back to the dash...oh well. Get out the CC and get another power cell. There's worse things to spend $ on.
      David Beckstrom DVM

This ISIS powercell stuff seems really nice, it's just that I can't really wrap my head around it just yet! I've read a bit about it, and even saw it on 2 Guys Garage, but still don't know how it works!!
      I'm glad others are using it and I'll be reading all I can about it and look forward to hearing others stories!

basically for most circuits you activate them by grounding the input to the mastercell for that device or output.
      you make the original switches grounding switches, so rather then pass power thru them when on, your passing a ground thru them, which when the mastercell see's ground, it powers the corresponding powercell wires for that particular input.

Here's how I think of it:

The devices are separated from the switch that controls them and the ISIS sits in the divide. Switch goes to ISIS, gets processed in some way, then goes to the device.

Turn signal to ISIS to light in the back of the car.

jp
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
      when the mastercell see's ground, it powers the corresponding powercell wires for that particular input.
      Right. The MasterCell is measuring resistance, not voltage, so all your switches use 22-28 gauge wire. Light, and easy to work with. I love the custom programming and the ability to use logic, security, RF integration, and getting rid of those heavy and bulky relays.

Placing the PowerCells and the inMOTION box and getting power to them is a PITA, but after that, the wiring job goes fast.

jp
      John Parsons

Did you use 3 powercells plus inMotion John or 2 powercells plus inMotion. Really looking forward to seeing how you mounted the cells up. Thanks.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

I used 3 PowerCells plus one inMOTION. With the MasterCell there are 5 ISIS boxes in the car. I forgot to take some pics before I put the car up (literally) for the night. I'll get some tomorrow for folks.

jp
      John Parsons

How many hours start to finish you reckon it took you, John?
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
      How many hours start to finish you reckon it took you, John?
      Many many. But much of that was fixing the car, especially the RS headlights. The car came to me with missing lower bellcrank brackets and an engine harness that went to nowhere. I redid the engine harness and brought the ECM inside the cabin via a Molex bulkhead connector, did a battery re-location to the trunk, and used another bulkhead connection (Metri-Pack) for the body/chassis harness. None of that had anything to do with ISIS or non-ISIS. Once I got to the ISIS part, I worked with Jay and Mike at ISIS on a bunch of custom programming (see RS headlights above).

I've got about 120 hours in all that.

jp
      John Parsons

By any chance did you do a wiring diagram for everything? I'd love to see your layout if you put one together. I'm real interested in how people are putting their systems together and compare to the ideas I have for mine.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I redid the engine harness and brought the ECM inside the cabin via a Molex bulkhead connector, did a battery re-location to the trunk, and used another bulkhead connection (Metri-Pack) for the body/chassis harness.
      Hi, I'm going to do the same thing, do you have a link to the bulkhead connectors used? Price and where to get them would be very helpful too.

Thanks!

I can set you up with the Molex and Metri-Pack bulkhead parts. Drop me a PM. I'm not sure about shipping to Norway, but we'll figure something out.

jp
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Will
      did you do a wiring diagram for everything?
      No, but I have this worksheet that the ISIS guys and I use to discuss issues as they've come up. It's got all the details except where the wires go. I'll post some pics later today.

jp
      Attached Images Attached Images
      John Parsons

Here's a basic concept diagram describing how the ISIS system works:

John Parsons

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com