Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Photos:

Last edited by parsonsj; 05-02-2012 at 10:51 AM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post

I've got about 120 hours in all that.

jp
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

John,

Can the ISIS be programed for a pwm output for fuel pump and/or radiator fan speed control?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

John nice job looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Carl
      Can the ISIS be programed for a pwm output for fuel pump and/or radiator fan speed control?
      Yes, it can. The problem is the input to drive that output. The ISIS can do logic, timers, dependencies, etc. But the basis for that signal is a binary off or on, driven by measuring resistance, rather than voltage. All of which means that an ECM or controller can't provide an analog input (like a range of voltage like a TPS, or a pulse count like a tach signal). I believe its on their list of future enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
      looks great
      thanks Luke!

jp
      John Parsons

It would be a nice featrure to have a pwm signal for:

1)The cooling fans based on temperature and vehicle speed.

2) fuel pump speed control based on combined engine RPM and MAP.

Does ISIS have environmental controls? If one goes so far as to design in PWM it would not be a far stretch to include automatic cabin temperature controls.

I'd love to see pwm output and programmable input with the ISIS gear. They just don't have that yet, as far as I can tell.

I've been talking to them almost daily over the past couple of weeks and I'll pass that on.

For the fans and fuel pump, I believe Holley's new Dominator ECM has direct support for both features. We'll likely be using it on Unfair...

jp
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      No, but I have this worksheet that the ISIS guys and I use to discuss issues as they've come up. It's got all the details except where the wires go. I'll post some pics later today.

jp
      Thanks for that John. I have put something together similar to this so will do some comparison. Install looks good. Keep the info coming on this... Great work!
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Remember on the 120 hours, a big chunk of it (maybe half?) was figuring out what was wrong with the RS headlight covers, and moving the ECM inside the cabin.

The ISIS install itself was straightforward, though it represented a learning curve. I'm sure my install times will improve.

jp
      John Parsons

Wait a minute…that car looks familiar!

I believe that I have benefited from “project unfair” Frank and John have been working on. Frank outsourced my car’s wiring to John and I want to publicly thank John for all his hard work on installing the ISIS system in my car. My car is a little intimidating to work on since everything is “smooth and shiny”. He had a difficult job, because the car was painted and assembled. Plus, the last shop never fully planned out the wiring. I tell my friends it’s like wiring a new house after the drywall and paint has been finished. John did a great job and kept me in the loop with weekly updates.

I also want to thank Jay from ISIS. The system is great and he was always very responsive in answering my questions. It is a great system for a build of this magnitude and his customer service is top notch. I recently had a friend ask me “if I had to do it over again, would I use the ISIS system?” Even though I did not personally install the system, I believe that I do understand what it entails. I said that “I would do again for this type of build”. The bottom-line is that it really depends on the type of build. If you are building a car that is primarily stock, then I would recommend a traditional wiring harness, but if your car has all the latest gadgets (LS engine, electronic transmission, power widows, power door locks, etc) then I would recommend the ISIS system. With the ISIS system, you can have new car functionality in an old car.

What’s interesting is that I learned about the ISIS system from this forum. Back in October of 2008, I posted a question about the ISIS system. Based on the responses, I decided to purchase the system.

When John first called me asking me questions about my car and the ISIS system, I told him that it was good timing, since a lot of other people are working on installing the system in their cars. I hope that we can help others in installing the systems. Keep the questions coming!

Thanks,

Mark
      Project 69 Camaro: Chassisworks G-Bar, FAB-9 & sub-frame, Fesler Billet, ISIS wiring & LS3!

More pictures: http://camaro69vn10.com Updated!

Used to be known as Camaro69vn10

Quote Originally Posted by DRJDVM's '69 View Post
      John
      I'm really interested in the bulkheads you used too.....

I'm curious as well. Post them up.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Molex bulkhead connector

This first pic is a Molex 31 Circuit XRC connector. These are similar to Mil-Spec connectors but at about half the price. They use plastic housings instead of aluminum. Each circuit is rated to 13A, which is plenty for all the signal wires in an EFI install. You can't run the switched power through it though (since they should be 14g 20A wires), though that didn't matter since I powered the starter solenoid, injectors, and coils via the ISIS PowerCell on the radiator core support.

They are similar in size to Mil-Spec connectors as well. As Mark mentioned above, I was working on a completed car installing this. The firewall is razor-sharp, and I had to warm up to the idea of drilling a 1.75" hole in it. It turned out nice, which was a big relief.

The connector has a backshell on it for strain relief on the wires. One can omit that to reduce its bulk and allow the wires to come in at an angle.

A Mil-Spec part like this is $200+, and you'll need a $450 radial crimping tool. I can sell these Molex 31 circuit kits for $105, and you can get by with a standard crimping tool if you work carefully. I can sell a purpose-built crimping tool for those of you that just have to spend more money on tools (like me ).

Last edited by parsonsj; 05-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
      John Parsons

This is the Metri-Pack bulkhead connector. Not pictured is a plastic cover that hides all the wires. This is a combination of Metri-Pack 280 and 480 connectors with 30 circuits in all. You can use standard crimping tools, and run up to 42A through the 480 connectors. You have to cut a rectangular hole about the size of a deck of cards.

I get mine through a company called EFI Connection, and they cost about $125 apiece.

Last edited by parsonsj; 05-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
      John Parsons

We just got done installing this system on a Chevelle with LS engine, power windows, locks ect. and it worked great for what the car is intended for. As markd said, I would probably go with a convetional harness on a near stock vehicle as well, due to the fact that no lighting plugs, gauge plugs, switches, harnesses ect. are provided and that all has to be built by the installer and is very time consuming. But on a high end car with alot of custom accesories, it is a very good system with lots of capabilities.
      Steve Keefer

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the comments on the system and our level of service. We're pretty proud of that we have built so far and we are looking to improve every day.

One comment to add to the mix, we can do a pulse width modulated output based on an analogue input to the MASTERCELL. There are two dedicated inputs on the B connector that can accept a 0 to 5 volt signal. Also included in that part of the harness is a socket for a 5-volt reference from the MASTERCELL to power a sensor or a rheostat.

We can take that 0 to 5 volt input and translate it to a pulse width modulated output on outputs 1 through 8 on the POWERCELL.

This is a bit of an advanced function and precautions must be taken to suppress EMF off of the motors with some diodes. It's not rocket science but put a call into our technical support line and we can see what we can do if you need this function.

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for joining our little group. It's much appreciated that you bring your expertise to share with us.

So, if I understand correctly, a fuel pump pwm function can be achieved but a separate rheostat must be used? Not the TPS? Would braiding the pump wiring, wrapping it in foil, adding an unisulated conductor into the braid, etc. help reduce EMF?

I've bought these bulkhead connectors already, but there are not enough terminals in one to accomodate the 40+ wires I'd need to run to move the PCM behind the firewall.

Apart from that, it looks like a good quality piece and quite cheap too.

But the Molex connectors seems to have a lot more terminals in some of the models.

I could probably clean up the wiring and cut away unneeded stuff, but I'm not sure if I dare, would be a mess if I screw up

I've used that bulkhead setup myself, on II Much's tranny tunnel for transmission signals (VSS, neutral safety switch, and reverse lights), plus the WBO2 sensor. It's a Metri-Pack-based setup.

As you say, it doesn't have enough circuits for EFI. You can get them from AAW too.

jp
      John Parsons

John
      Where did you mount all of the Megafuses for all of the Powercells etc? You've got 10 in your set-up...where the hell did you ount al of those ?

I'm working on getting mine all laid out right now......I'm having serious reservations that this set-up cuts down on install time.....

Just trying to find a place to put the Mastercell....2 powercells ( I may go to 3)...... one InMotion unit and all the Megafuses...is taking a ton of time.

There is so much stuff that needs to find a space and a way to mount up....its taken me alot of time just to do that.... and I havent even started on the actual wiring....

Finding a place for all this stuff is a PITA.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com