Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Project NVMYSS

Country Flag: United States

Project NVMYSS

After mostly lurking I thought it was time to post.

Here is what I started with in 96

Here it is in 2000 before going to NY

and the latest

Short story is I've owned the car twice since 1996
      Slowly it is becoming a PT car.

Below is the long story..

I’ve always wanted a 69 Chevelle SS396. This bug had been put in to me by my father. He has owned many Chevelles, at least 30 or so 99% of them 68-69 with a 70 thrown in there so I had wanted one of my own since I was little…. even though he never let me take one and drive it on my own.

My project Chevelle started back in 1996, when I got stationed out at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, NV. This was my first (still is) decent paying job.

I located the car after about a 6 months of searching in was in the local penny saver, no picture, just a brief description.

I had my friend that was with me in tech school take me to look at it. It was located about 1 hour north of Vegas in Logandale, NV.
      When I looked at it, it was in primer, ran good and had extra parts in the trunk. This being my first car that I only had myself to evaluate I decide that it was descent for the price of $3000.00 and decided to buy it I gave the man a $500 deposit and returned the next weekend. The hood was not bolted on, no hinges, so that went in my buddies truck along with the extra parts that would not fit in the trunk, extra trim, extra seats, exec. It was late and dark by the time I rolled up to the gate at the base, no hood, miss aligned headlights, and a high idle.

Next day I got my new toy out to show off and wash. This is where I learned for the first time that water and lot of TQ in a rear wheel drive car don’t mix. I had the car going all over the place left, right, left, right, telephone pole…. missed, ok park. I did not have any $$ at this time so I did little to no work on the SS other than a front trans seal well in a full arm cast, and I also found out that the original SS hood does not work well as a kite (remember hood hinges when moving the car in the wind)
      After driving this gas guzzling BB I decided that I need a second daily driver a V6 Beretta that I paid $1800 for. So the Chevelle got put on hold till I paid off the Beretta. When $$ became available (second job at Las Vegas Motor Speedway) I bought parts for the Chevelle, Headers, ARP bolts, Cam, and Carpet. Lots of $$ for me as an Airman before I was able to install these I moved out from the AF dorms and in to a House with a bunch of my friends from work. This allowed me to remove the frame from the car and sandblast the whole frame and cover it in POR15 (hind sight not the best thing to do). After I did this I decided that the Chevelle was just going to keep sucking $$ from me and I wanted something that would handle and brake. So the body was set back on the frame with a few bolts, motor dropped back in, FT clip loosely on and the rest thrown inside.
      Long story short I sent the Chevelle to NY for my Father to work on

So my quest for better breaking and handling took me away from the Chevelle and in to another Beretta. This time a Quad 4 powered GTZ 5spd. This car has a lot of my $$ and plenty of stories even caused me to sell the Chevelle when I went overseas in 2001.
      So I sold the Chevelle for $6000 to a man in Rochester. This I thought was the end of my Chevelle owning for a good few years. Come 4 years later (2005) I get a call for my father say that that he thinks my SS was for sale on Ebay. I was unable to get to it before the auction ended but it was my Chevelle. O well it’s gone again. I week later my father gets a call from the owner/seller of my old SS asking if he wanted to buy it for what I sold it for, so he bought it and ended up with 4 years of free storage and some additional body work.

After my dad got it home he bought a new hood had it painted, well home on leave he surprised me with the Chevelle as I had no clue that he a bought it and I again had my Chevelle bug going. So on returning back to Belgium I started buying parts again and paying him back for buying the car.

In early 2006 before coming back my wife got stationed back in Vegas we bought a truck in TX, a 24ft enclosed trailer in NY and drove the Chevelle back to NV.

Late 2006 put me back in Vegas again I am working and spending as much time as the wife will let me on the Chevelle, even got a second job again back at LVMS as NHRA tech, Tire barn, and security.

So far what I’ve done is:

Extra Frame that will be boxed and braced
      New wheels
      Anvil marker lights

Interior with GTO seats

Fuel system upgrade

Inner fenders
      Sound deadener
      Stereo
      ATS Spindles

C5/6 brakes with a Wilwood MC

SPC Arms

Boxed factory lower with Bushings

Bilstein shocks

Still to do is rear end with something a little better than 2.73's, new frame boxed, headliner, re-contour headrest and someday a LS.

For more pictures feel free to check out my Photo bucket
      http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...myss/Chevelle/

Thanks to My father for reassembling what I took apart. Tyler, Russ for parts and welding. Tobin at Kore3 for the brake MC advice. Marcus at SC&C for the suspension input.
      Last edited by nvmyss; 06-08-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Clean up pictures
      Adam
      69 Chevelle SS 396 < --Sold
      67 Camaro
      93 Beretta GTZ
      09 R50 VW Touareg

Great looking Ride Adam...
      Kurt G
      Las Vegas

SICK WHIP DUDE!! I love those Anvil lights...the little touches make the difference.

Just got me a used Lee 14:1 steering box.
      Now I need to find a new trans as the th350 decided to crap out on me.
      And I can drive it again.
      Adam
      67 Camaro
      93 Beretta GTZ
      09 R50 VW Touareg

The car looks great. Nice work.

Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

its about time you put a build thread up here... Is the front suspension all buttoned up?
      Dump the TH350 for a manual... if you're not going LSx - get a 5 speed from Keisler...
      Rich
      1969 Camaro (in hibernation)
      1972 K5 Blazer - LQ9, 4L80e, NP205, D60, AAM 14BFF => http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423432

I remember seeing one of your Berettas... was it in Columbus or Pittsburgh?

Looks like the Chevelle is getting as much attention to detail as your Burrito did.

Did you leave the high dollar built one in Belgium?

Car is looking awesome, and I see you found some C6 brakes.
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

That's funny! When I saw "NVMYSS" it reminded me of "NVMYGTZ" from Beretta.net. haha

The Chevelle is looking good...and coincidentally I just built a "Beretta SS" last year (really a GT).
      http://beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3868

Quote Originally Posted by bonecrrusher View Post
      I remember seeing one of your Berettas... was it in Columbus or Pittsburgh?

Looks like the Chevelle is getting as much attention to detail as your Burrito did.

Did you leave the high dollar built one in Belgium?

Car is looking awesome, and I see you found some C6 brakes.
      Nope the 93 GTZ money pit has been sitting next to the house for the last 5 years almost. The plan for it if I ever stop spening $$ on the Chevelle and the truck is to drop a Ecotec in it and put the stock brakes under it.
      The 92 is in NY and my dad drives its now and again.
      Adam
      67 Camaro
      93 Beretta GTZ
      09 R50 VW Touareg

Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
      its about time you put a build thread up here... Is the front suspension all buttoned up?
      Dump the TH350 for a manual... if you're not going LSx - get a 5 speed from Keisler...
      The front is done with the exception of the springs and a new sway bar.

The trans will have to wait until we find out if the house in Pahrump goes thru..... I think we gunna end up getting screwed on this one, Thanks a lot Congress!!
      Adam
      67 Camaro
      93 Beretta GTZ
      09 R50 VW Touareg

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com