Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Pro-Billet Distributors and Ignition box - suggestions

Hello,

I would love some advise on the purchase of Billet Distributor and Ignition box. I have been told to go with a 6-AL MSD box and Distributor but honestly dont know much about the differences.

Any suggestions? Whats the big difference between them. What are the benifits or things I must have? or Things that are nice to have but not necessary. I have seen prices from 200-400 and am just not certain what is the best direction.

Here is a little background on my Car. It's a 72 Chevelle. 468 BB. nice heads, nice cam, Dyno'd 575hp 560TQ. Its backed by a 400TH with a gear vendors Over Drive. 3:73 12 bold.

Thank you for any suggestions

Chris

The MSD site actually shows the differences. You can look at them and compare. The 6AL2 has a stronger spark and it's supposed to have an improved design over the 6AL. It also has a built in 2-step. The digital box allows you to customize your own maps and curves.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

Country Flag: United States
      I'd go with the MSD Digital E-Curve... you can tune the advance curve without springs & bushings, it has a built in adjustable rev limiter, and runs without an ignition box.
      Kevin Oeste
      V8 Speed and Resto Shop
      V8TV
      Muscle Car Of The Week
      V8 Radio Podcast

All about us:
      https://www.v8speedshop.com

If you want to keep it simple look at the PerTronix I 3 Billet Distributor. I has a built in Digital Rev Limiter, and Multi Spark that fires all the way to red line, not just to 3000 like an MSD. It doesn't require an external box, it is self contained. If you aren't drag racing and therefore don't need things like a 2 step it is very cost effective way to go.
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-D7100700/

Thank you!

Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it. The car is a light pro-touring Chevelle. Meaning, nice suspension, full-rotisserie resto but not much track time or drag racing. More street fun, cruise-ins etc.

Thanks again.

If you do run an MSD setup, make sure you purchase a shielded pick-up cable which runs from the dizzy to the box...cleans up any interference especially with the digital 6AL-2.
      Who is wise? One who learns from every man... Who is strong? One who overpowers his inclinations... Who is rich? One who is satisfied with his lot... Who is honorable? One who honors his fellows" - Ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, 4:1

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com