Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Fat Man Fabrication Front end kits for Torino

I'm considering the Fat Man Strut suspension for my '69 Torino - does anyone have any experience with this kit that can offer an opinion on it?

Doesn't have to be on a Torino but that would be nice! Thanks...
      Jeremy Wilson
      1969 Ford Torino GT Fastback

Country Flag: United States
      i have one on my 71 camaro ..really dont wanna comment on it in here..lol..lets just say im replacing it..
      Darrin Stalnecker
      1969 Camaro Convert full pt pr
      2007 Corvette Supercharged
      1968 Camaro LS1 T56
      http://www.fquick.com/dropit69

Strut suspensions have one bad issue, its called "sticktion" (stick-shun), for a microsecond the shock part of it sticks, resulting in some issues on cars/systems designed to retrofit some body styles, A lot of the caster settings, Steering axis Inclination and Included Angle specs all get tweaked to minimize it.
      As for aftermarket systems they may not get the design flogged as hard as stock setups THEN you get people people pushing there vehicles to the limit and it sometimes doesnt work as well as some think it should.
      Some time radical redesigns dont work as well as expected.
      Honestly For that year of Torino there are much better than a strut setup. Actually I would look for something that fixes the geometry then add in some air ride from ridetech.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Neither of those companies offer kits for Torinos - that's the general issue in the aftermarket right now. The next best kit is the RSS one, which is also a Strut-based system, but is about $2,000 more all in than the Fat Man system.

The other option would require welding in a completely new setup, and I don't have the resources to handle that, even if they were within my price range.

As far as the limitations of the strut system, it is still 20 years newer techology than the system in the Torino now, plus I get rack and pinion steering, eliminating the dreadful factory power steering which is my real concern. I figured, if I can get a better suspension while also getting R&P, seems like a win.
      Jeremy Wilson

The TCP front suspension will fit a Torino.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/fcoc-fd.html

We just did a 70 Torino for Mark Bowler at Bowler Transmissions using our Mustang stuff. The only change was a different diameter spacer for the front control arm stud.
      We also used the Mustang AirBar in the rear but had to change the bar lengths. After we document all these little changes we'll release it for Torinos. I had not put a rush on it becasue, well, I just didn't think it was a big market, but there seems to be more interest than I thought.

He will be running the Torino in the Midwest Musclecar Challenge this weekend at Putnam Park. http://www.midwestmusclecarchallenge.com/
      Bret Voelkel
      Director of Innovation Fox Powered Vehicles Group
      Founder/ Former Owner
      RideTech/Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

How do you spell Impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by Psydwaze View Post
      The TCP front suspension will fit a Torino.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/fcoc-fd.html
      It costs more, and doesn't include rack & pinion. But beyond that, it uses custom parts that I can only get from them - so if they break in the middle of podunk, I'm SOL.

The Fat Man kit uses stock Ford parts, so at least I can hit up a Pep Boys if I need replacements.
      Jeremy Wilson

I'm not sure why anyone that wants to make a better handling car would go to a strut based system. The camber curve is terrible. It starts off with a little negative camber as the strut starts to compress but then goes into Positive Camber as the compression continues. I would think that a Double A Arm set up like original, with the upper control arm relocated for camber curve improvement would be a much better way to go. JMHO

read wesleyJ's build thread. He used a fatman kit for his mustang. He had to modify everything on it to work.

I agree with dynodon. dont go strut unless you just want a mild build street car. much better options for all out performance.

What parts do you think will fail in the TCP setup? The ball joints are chrysler style screw in.

The point isn't that I think something will fail, it is about having options if for some reason that, say, the steering rack springs a leak while I'm in Pigeon Forge, TN. Which has happened to me, multiple times. As far as quality, they made a bunch of changes last year, apparently, so perhaps the new kit addresses those issues.

If the strut suspension is so bad, why are there kits like the RRS unit that use it? Given the costs involved, you'd think they'd go for the best option.

Anyway, it's possible for me to use the existing suspension, as all I really wanted out of this is R&P steering. However, I have yet to find anything other than the Fat Man kit that:

- has room for my long-tube headers
      - does not require replacing the z-bar with a cable/hydraulic setup
      - does not need any welding
      - won't leave me stranded due to custom parts that take weeks to order

If anyone can recommend something like that, I'm all for it.
      Jeremy Wilson

TCP will do 3 of the 4 and give you a much better solution than a fatman rack. But you can always use an off the shelf hose and pump for the rack.

Just trying to give you suggestions.

[QUOTE=bret;676232]We just did a 70 Torino for Mark Bowler at Bowler Transmissions using our Mustang stuff. The only change was a different diameter spacer for the front control arm stud.
      We also used the Mustang AirBar in the rear but had to change the bar lengths. After we document all these little changes we'll release it for Torinos. I had not put a rush on it becasue, well, I just didn't think it was a big market, but there seems to be more interest than I thought. QUOTE]

Has any progress been made on making this kit available? I am only looking for the rear suspension portion, and will take it if you're willing to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by bret View Post
      We just did a 70 Torino for Mark Bowler at Bowler Transmissions using our Mustang stuff. The only change was a different diameter spacer for the front control arm stud.
      We also used the Mustang AirBar in the rear but had to change the bar lengths. After we document all these little changes we'll release it for Torinos. I had not put a rush on it becasue, well, I just didn't think it was a big market, but there seems to be more interest than I thought.

He will be running the Torino in the Midwest Musclecar Challenge this weekend at Putnam Park. http://www.midwestmusclecarchallenge.com/

Do you have this setup available for the 1970 Torino yet?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com