Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Clean a tank after grinding on it?

Attempted to install the RobbMc 1/2" pick up into my new Spectra tank this afternoon, won't work. Both very nice products by the way. It seems the main body of the RobbMc pick up has a slightly larger diameter then the stock piece. It also has some depth to it as well, where the stock pick up is only as thick is the sheet metal used.

Going into my stock tank, the RobbMc part works fine. But the Spectra tank has a slightly smaller hole and the RobbMc pick up wont fit in. Stock pick up fits fine in Spectra tank.

You can see my frustration and dilemma! I don't think it's Robb's or Spectra's fault, each part is designed to work with other stock parts. Not necessary with other aftermarket parts.

What are you thoughts for a solution? I'd have no problem using a Dremel tool on the tank to make the opening bigger, but how would I get all the metal shavings out?

The main body (below O-ring) of the RobbMc pick up will not fit down in the stock tank.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Have you talked to Rob? I just got a spectra tank for my Cutlass & I was planning on getting a RobbMC pickup. I have to think others have run into this.
      Lee
      1966 Cutlass

The difference between truth & fiction: fiction has to make sense.

Build Thread:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=64470

When I got home today, I measured my spectra tank and the opening is less than 2". I spoke with Rob at RobbMc and he said he was aware of this problem, but it was on the early pick ups they made using a stock tank. Since then, they have reduced the diameter of the pick up to 1/32" over 1.75".
      Lee
      1966 Cutlass

The difference between truth & fiction: fiction has to make sense.

Build Thread:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=64470

I emailed Rob and he confirmed that I must have an older unit.

I'd rather not spend the $ on the newer style. Any comments on my idea to Dremel the hole in the tank larger, and then removing metal shavings?

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Another option might be to make a wood bushing and cut it with a hole saw.

Thought tight, you might try putting some duct tape under the opening to catch the chips.

Attach a 3/4" hose to a vacuum and suck up the chips that land in the bottom of the tank.

Wash the tank out with soapy water after vacuuming.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Put a big sponge or a towel in the hole until it is right at the top and it seals the hole.Put a piece of aluminum foil to cover it up. Then do your grinding or cutting and then wad up the foil on its way out and pull the other contents out with any other grit that might have gotten by. You can use a pair of needle nose vise grips to pull it out if it goes anywhere.

If you use a good filter you shouldn't have any worries anyway, the crap i've seen it tanks is far worse than metal dust.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

OK stock tank is steel, so is new tank. Make a scribe mark for where to stop, now go buy 2 big ring magnets or find some old cb antennas and and rob them.
      Slap a couple of them in the tank after you wash it out with detergent and water, then after cleaning it out pour in a couple gallons of boiling water to heat up the metal. then throw in 2 or 3 cans of heet after draining the boiling water(I hope your smart enough to use heavy gloves while working around boiling water/
      Then drop couple of heavy magnets in tank, this will pick up all of the shavings.
      Used to do this when building baffles into tanks, never found any metal in filters after adding magnets, oh and leaving tank out in hot sun can help drying it out.
      also you can use a broom handle with rags taped to them to to dry them out.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com