Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My exhaust: side by side like a Lamborghini Murcielago

I have watched this site forever and I have had an exhaust idea that I want to do but it will take some planning. I plan on running mine out the back SIDE by SIDE very similar to a Lamborghini Murcielago. More than likely I will be running 3" from the back of the mufflers to the back of the car. I am either going to run a fuel cell or a sunken fuel tank of some sort to keep the center of gravity a little lower. I will lift the license plate about an 6 inches and put a little notch in the bottom for the exhaust. This is what I have so far.
      T/y
      EDIT: Most recent pics as of 3/13/06

Video of the complete exhaust out the back! (sound only)

Last edited by CAMAROBOY69; 03-13-2006 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Updated this first post with the most recent pics.
      Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

Country Flag: United States
      I too am interested and had Kris Horton do a rendering of what it might look like:

69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

EXCELLENT! I like it! Just need to get that license plate above the exhaust and under the bumper. Thank you for posting! Are you going to be running your exhaust the same way? Ive been planning this for at least 2 years. I was even thinking of cutting the license plate too and notch the bumper just a little more. I might not be able to run 3" tips out the back. Might have to go smaller to make it look right.
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

I'd like to . I have alot of NOS sheetmetal for when I can have the bodywork done. Kind of troubles me to cut up the tailpan but the look would be distinctive. Maybe a repro piece and use the bottom part and resell the NOS tailpanel. Don't have the $ currently for the cell, etc. I was thinking about modifying the bumper in some kind of split fashion to put the license in the middle. On notch the bumper to put the plate higher.
      68 camaro - SOLD

LOL we are in the same situation with the exact same ideas. What you just said is exactly what I said at the top of this thread about notching the bumper and cutting the tailpanel.

I used the Mule as an example since its such a beautiful car and its silver like mine is going to be.
      This is what I have been thinking of doing. Worst case scenero is that I split the rear bumper in half to get the license plate above the bumper. I know this will make the structure of the rear bumper weaker but lets be real. If you get rear ended in a 69 Camaro your pretty much screwed anyway. Those bumpers are not going to save very much. I will probably add reinforcement inside where the bumper bolts anyway. What do you think of this idea?? I will add round 3" pipes similar to what Rick Dorion posted above.
      The pic would look better with some tail pipes in there but im at work without photshop to add the pipes.
      The most shocking thing was ive had this idea forever then while playing Midnight Club 3 it gave the option to do this to the 69 Camaro.
      modified-----------------------original
      Last edited by CAMAROBOY69; 04-26-2005 at 04:50 AM. Reason: added original pic next to modified pic

I think a notched bumper is ok but if you split the bumper it will look awkward. the pipes on the blue 69 convertible look great , too bad we have to clutter our cars with dmv stickers and plates. I leave my front plate off , so far no problem. I trimmed the plate on my streetbike and then repainted the edge blue so it appears uncut, again no problem.you could probably really shave it down if you roll the edge of the plate.

I just checked , you could take about a half inch or more off a car plate before its noticable.

I appreciate the feedback and would like even more if its available from other members.
      My original plan was to just trim the license plate and raise the plate up about an inch or so but there is just no way with the bumper there. The exhaust will stick down under the car and I dont want that. I want the bottom of the exhaust pipes level with the bottom of the tail pan and tucked up just like in the pic that Kris Horton made Rick Dorion.
      If I went with flat modern Camaro tips it would be easy but I dont want that look and I dont want it the easy way. I want to modify and make things harder than they need to be so it doesnt look like everyone else.
      I am certain if I went without a plate in Michigan I would be pulled over instantly. Damn ugly plates!!!
      I will post the original Mule pic next to the modified one.

NO plate? I think you might make it down the block before you hear the whoop whoop behind you!

Some day when $ becomes available, I want to put a fuel cell in for safety (rear-end collision, etc.) and have my pipes comes out like the rendering shows. This will also solve my minimal clearance with the leaf springs when I hit bumps!

In you pic, I think the opening could be more agressive by trimming the plate somewhat. What about offsetting the plate to one side?
      68 camaro - SOLD

I also am waiting for money for a fuel cell so I can do the exhaust. I will probably fab myself as much as possible.
      As for the offset plate, I dont think I would like the look of it off to the side since everything else will be centered. SS emblem, truck lock, and Tail pipes all centered. That also wouldn't work for your car either since you have the RS back up lights. I will not be installing those back up lights on my RS/SS Camaro.
      Good ideas though and something to consider for anyone else thinking of this conversion thru the center.

Here is a pic after about 7 minutes on Microsoft Paint to offset the plate like you were talking about.

See what you mean. I kind of like the split bumper deal. Too bad we can't color match the plate to the car!
      68 camaro - SOLD

Rick I thought of another new idea today that I figured I would toss up. I would hate to cut a good bumper in half and get the ends rechromed sooo what I was thinking is use mine that is old but paint it to match the car instead of leaving it chrome. I dont think I have seen a REAR bumper painted on a 69 Camaro yet. Everyone does the front but how about the rear??? Or would that look too out of balance since I have the Marquez tail light alumunum housing and the clear tail lights?

I like colored bumpers. I think I've seen them in some of the mags. I have an extra bumper I can play with. At least that's free for me!
      68 camaro - SOLD

Have you seen any rear bumpers painted? If so can you get me a few pics?
      My bumper is a throw away bumper too so if I dont like the results it wont be a big deal.

I'll look tonight.
      68 camaro - SOLD

Is it legal for you to put your rear licence plate in the rear window. So it is sitting on the rear package shelf. If you can that might make it a lot easier to do what you want.

That would block my vision out the rear window and I personally dont think I would like that at all. Nice idea though and thanks.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com