Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

more Musclecar Challenge info

All:

After reviewing the various comments posted on the Pro Touring and Lateral G forums it seems the main concerns are as follows:
      • concerned about driving skill
      • concerned about being slow or looking like a novice
      • concerned about hurting their car
      • Too little track time for the time and expense required
      • No reason to go /nothing to see if you are not racing
      • Driving Distance
      Hopefully the information below will address some of these concerns:

• Mothers Car show – We know there are lots of guys who have a keen interest in this kind of event but don’t want to subject themselves or their car to an all out track assault...slow, fast, or otherwise. The car show portion of the MMC is designed to give hotrodders a way to participate without putting their car on the track. Pre-registering for the MMC car show gets you a goody bag [with all the swag inside!] 2 Flowmaster RibFeast meal tickets, and a prime parking spot while you are watching the track activities. Although there won’t be any “trophies”, we will select 5 cars from this group to be featured on the Mothers Car Show that is being filmed at this event!
      • Bowler 99 Mile cruise – The only performance criteria for this segment is that you drive your car from Putnam Park to the Flowmaster Ribfeast to demonstrate that you actually have a street car and not a race car. There is no time criteria and the points award is minimal. If you break something at Putnam Park, trailering your car to RibFeast will only impose a minimal penalty.
      BFG Hot Laps Road course Segment
      • Tire rules – We understand that this is primarily a street car event and that the drivers have limited on-track experience, especially with sticky tires. That is why we have decided to have everyone run a 200 treadwear tire [or harder]. We feel this provides the best chance for “mainstream” street cars [driven by non-professional drivers] to exhibit their cababilities safely.
      • The runoff area is large, flat, and grassy to make even to most inexperienced hotrodder comfortable with pushing their car and themselves to go a little faster.
      • Novice run groups – There will be 3 run groups at the MMC – Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced. You can indicate which run group you prefer when you pre register . That way you will be combined with people and cars of similar experience and speeds so no one gets run over…or unnecessarily slowed down.
      • Track time - As the day goes on [and people inevitably drop out to rest their cars or themselves] we may combine some of these run groups and/or allow people to change run groups to increase your track time potential. If every run group is filled [and stays that way all day] you will get at least 6 sessions of 15 minutes each. Lap time at Putnam Park is approx. 1:30-1:40, so each session will get you around 10 laps. Shorter sessions are easier on the car and the driver, and allow ample time to rest and make vehicle checks and adjustments.
      • Timing runs – For the Road course portion of the event, we are providing transponders for each participant to offer accurate, reliable lap times. We will record all of your laps with the fasted lap determining your ranking at the end of the day. This way you can spend most of the day practicing/tuning/learning to drive without the pressure to make every lap count.
      • Spectre Top Speed Challenge – During the BFG Hot Lap sessions we will be recording top speeds for the Spectre Top Speed Challenge.
      ridetech Street Challenge Autocross Segment
      • The autocross track will be approx. 50-60 seconds long for most cars. You will likely use 2nd and possibly 3rd gear on this course, and reach speed of up to 60 mph in some spots. The runoff area is huge so you’ll be able to let it hang out without fear of running into anything solid.
      • We will be able to run 2 cars on the autocross at the same time so you will get LOTS of track time here. Again, every run will be recorded with your fastest time determining your final ranking, so there is no pressure to make every lap count. Theoretically, if the full roster of cars makes every lap you should get 12 runs in that day. In reality, it will likely be closer to 20 runs because not everyone will want to run every time it’s their turn. You will get a time slip for every lap so you can tune your car and yourself.
      Baer Brakes Speed-Stop Challenge
      • The format will be as follows:
        • Accelerate from the starting line for approximately 800 feet to the brake zone marker cones
        • Stop within the confines of the 40 foot long x 20 foot wide stop box.
        • The object is to get to the stop box [and stop within it] as quickly as possible. This will be a test of both your acceleration abilities and your braking abilities. Think of it as a drag race where you have to stop completely within a designated box! Each participant will get as many runs as time allows to optimize their times.
      • Awards – The ridetech Street Challenge Autocross and the Baer Speed Stop Challenge will end at 4:00 CST. We will have an awards ceremony at 5:00 CST so everyone can get an early start for home and enjoy the rest of the Memorial Day weekend.
      • In addition to the segment winners we will crown an overall Midwest Musclecar Challenge “King of the Hill”. In addition to the product prizes this person will receive a beautiful lettermans jacket with the MMC logo on the back and their mane and date on the front so you can show off your accomplishment to all your friends!
      General information
      · Trailer and RV parking – both Putnam Park and the Lawrenceville Mid America Airport have plenty of trailer and RV parking. There will be no overnight parking at the Putnam Park facility but camping WILL be allowed at Lawrenceville. The airport also offer secured trailer parking for Saturday night. There are NO RV hookups or dumps at either facility.
      · Consessions and bathrooms – There will be GOOD food available at both Putnam Park and at Lawrenceville. You are certainly welcome to bring your own, but if you don’t, we won’t let you starve! Putnam Park has nice restroom facilities and trash containers. We will have a good supply of CLEAN port-a-johns at Lawrenceville.

· optima Invitational – The Midwest Musclecar Challenge is a QUALIFIER event for the year end optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational. ONE vehicle will be chosen to represent the MMC event at this year end invitational. It will LIKELY be the overall winner, but only if the overall winner has not already qualified, AND is willing to make the commitment to travel to Las Vegas in November to participate in this televised event.

You DO NOT have to make yourself eligible for the Optima Ultimate Streetcar Invitational to participate in the Midwest Musclecar Challenge. It will have NO effect on the scoring or the outcome of the MMC event at all. It merely provides an OPPORTUNITY for you to be included in Las Vegas event.

Remember the goal here is to have fun with your family and your car. Going fast is optional, and but a happy coincidence!

Oh, yeah...here is how to get signed up...http://www.midwestmusclecarchallenge.com/?page_id=13
      Bret Voelkel
      Director of Innovation Fox Powered Vehicles Group
      Founder/ Former Owner
      RideTech/Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

How do you spell Impossible?

Country Flag: United States
      Love it Bret !!
      We can all add some of these ideas at future events ..
      Thanks for supporting the hobby and lifestyle..
      Thanks for all the hard work and planning..
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Lots of behind the scenes planning on several peoples parts...Jim and Wally and their staff from FM3 MArketing, along with Mark Bowler and myself have a weekly teleconference as well as dozens of emails throughout the week. I also have my website and marketing guys who create the graphics and such. The comments from everyone here have been invaluable. I think we'll learn a lot at the Face Off event and the Mitty next weekend as well. Of course, for next year, we'll [hopefully] be ever so much smarter and better prepared
      Bret Voelkel
      Founder/ Former Owner

If I preregister and something happens (like kid sick, car broke or whatever), is there any refund on the cash? Or is the money just out the window?
      Thanks again, this sounds pretty dang cool!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69 View Post
      If I preregister and something happens (like kid sick, car broke or whatever), is there any refund on the cash? Or is the money just out the window?
      Thanks again, this sounds pretty dang cool!
      Good point...had to confer on this one.

If you cancel UP to 5:00 pm EST May 21 [1 week before the event] we would refund 50% of your entry fee. After that we have to finalize commitments for trandsponders, food, staff, etc. and would be unable to make any refund. However, we would have no problem with you selling your entry [at whatever price] to someone else and making a name change at the event. Of course they would have to fill out the appropriate paperwork...the sooner the better on that.

Hope this helps!

Bret Voelkel
      Founder/ Former Owner

Thanks man. I will discuss this further with my wifey and make a decision soon!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

Awesome Adjustment Bret.

"Track time - As the day goes on [and people inevitably drop out to rest their cars or themselves] we may combine some of these run groups and/or allow people to change run groups to increase your track time potential. If every run group is filled [and stays that way all day] you will get at least 6 sessions of 15 minutes each. Lap time at Putnam Park is approx. 1:30-1:40, so each session will get you around 10 laps. Shorter sessions are easier on the car and the driver, and allow ample time to rest and make vehicle checks and adjustments"

That should really excite people worried about getting only 3 laps. Sounds like now doing touring type laps one can really get some time under their belt.

Damn I wish I was not in the middle of every project. I will be there, car or not.

my size tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...35&diameter=17

that leaves me one choice.

So now I have to go buy a new set of tires for the rear for this one event?

not trying to be a pain but it seems like every event now is requiring their own set of tires and I have so many sets now that are still good but none will work - I have 3 sets of drag radials a set of r1s from vegas that are still good and a set of front proxess tq's and a set of front bfgoodrich street tires.

This is getting crazy.

do you have any other suggestions?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

It would be great if you would allow this tire - its affordable - has good reviews and I think will be fine - but its 160 tw. most performance tires are going to be this treadwear and lower - unless of course if you drop down to 245 and below there are a ton of options - just not in the 300 and wider range.

If you guys can allow this tire - that would make up my mind to come up.
      HPDE is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
      So much to learn......so much $$ to do so lol

bump - bret ? ? ? ?

We have had much discussion about tires over the last 2 years. I am truly sympathetic to your tire size problem.
      The tire rule has been changed, tweaked, modified, and at various times, ignored.
      Every racing association or competition body that I am aware of has some sort of tire rule. Ours is a 200 treadwear.
      I wish I had a better answer for you but any other path would open a whole new set of problems for all the other participants.
      Bret Voelkel
      Founder/ Former Owner

tires

Nitto also makes two tires in the 315/35R17. I just purchased some for my Nova to compete in the optima Faceoff. I went with the NT05 with the 200 tread wear rating. The handled great compared to the Summitomos with the 160 rating. I ordered them from Discount Tire Direct online. I got them in three days.

I'm hoping to make it to this event but I'm installing a new fuel pump and plumbing. I also messed up my tank so I have to try and fix it. If I can't I'll have to build a new tank.

Dennis
      Dennis Linson

Quote Originally Posted by DLinson View Post
      Nitto also makes two tires in the 315/35R17. I just purchased some for my Nova to compete in the optima Faceoff. I went with the NT05 with the 200 tread wear rating. The handled great compared to the Summitomos with the 160 rating. I ordered them from Discount Tire Direct online. I got them in three days.

I'm hoping to make it to this event but I'm installing a new fuel pump and plumbing. I also messed up my tank so I have to try and fix it. If I can't I'll have to build a new tank.

Dennis
      thanks for the info dennis - these look pretty nice.

certainly more affordable then the goodyears!

any information for near event hotels? we will be arriving on the 28th

I'll try to remember to see where my wife has reserved and let you know. I'm not sure where everyone else is staying on the list from the website.
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

Both locations are small towns...the hotels listed on the musclecar challenge website are all close together and of about equal quality/price. I hear they are starting to fill up...not just with our event but also with general Memorial Day traffic.
      Bret Voelkel
      Founder/ Former Owner

for us:
      Friday night Super 8 in Cloverdale, IN
      Saturday night Comfort Suites in Vincennes, IN
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

Looks like a great event that I'd love to participate in when it's in my area. I really like how you've combined open track, autocross and a car show all in one event. My biggest initial concern was with the limited track time for the expense, but it seems like you have addressed that issue.

When do you think you'll have an event in the Northern Cal area?
      67 fastback
      351w
      Baer brakes
      G-Force T5 trans
      9" rear w/3:50 gears & 31 spline axles
      Link
      Recently moved Salt Lake City from the SF Bay area.
      Looking forward to driving on the Miller Motorsports track this summer!

We may have the opportunity to offer trained driving instructors at the Putnam Park venue. Anyone interested in some qualified driving instruction in their own cars?
      Bret Voelkel
      Founder/ Former Owner

Yes!!!! I'm definately interested!
      I have rooms reserved, but not officialy signed up because it has been raining for a week since I got the Camaro put back together. I want to drive it a bit to make sure it is fixed before I commit.
      But I do plan on coming.
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

Count me in!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com