Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast
      I forget right now who makes it...but theres a sequential dog ring gearbox out there for our cars. Thats surely strong enough! Plus the ability to flat shift, and do super quick shifts.

Manuel Scettri
      ------------------------------------------------
      1973 Firebird - Pontiac 455
      1990 2 Door 4Runner - byebye
      2016 KIA Sportage diesel - The Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      Parachute, if we can design a pin on dolution where it plugs in when we need it, a chute at Maxton would be nice.
      A chute might be quite helpful if things started to head south and you wanted to get straightened out ASAP.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by jp455 View Post
      I forget right now who makes it...but theres a sequential dog ring gearbox out there for our cars. Thats surely strong enough! Plus the ability to flat shift, and do super quick shifts.
      Wasn't Kiesler making that dog ring t56?
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

Man... I get my July issue of Hot Rod Magazine today and see that another guy read the same Mark Donohue autobiography (The Unfair Advantage) as you guys and they're calling his project the same thing!!

BUMMER!! Now THAT is "UNFAIR"!!

Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Yeah I think you're right Phillip, it was Keisler. Theres a video out there of it being tested on a truck
      Manuel Scettri

16 Pages and only a hand full of pictures... This build thread is becoming boring.. We want progress pics!
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
      16 Pages and only a hand full of pictures... This build thread is becoming boring.. We want progress pics!
      Your right. I have been slammed in the shop working on finishing 2 other projects that are leaving. And have not worked on Unfair.

AND, we have been waiting on something BRAND NEW and we got it today..............

Our 3.6L Kenne Bell blower is here! And it is crazy! These have already made 1400HP on 5.6 litre motors! We did some careful measuring, Welded some engine mounts to our body jig.

So to get the crank pulley behind the rack (allows us to lower the enige 2" more), and to get the motor low enough for the blower to stay under a 2" cowl, we are moving engine 8" from stock location. This puts the motor 5" inside the cowl. It also puts the front of the engine block behind the centerline of the wheels!

So we are moving about 85LBS from the front to the rear (170LB swing) which combined with our aluminum nose should put us at 50 / 50 with no driver.

We are also moving the toe board back and the seat back which will recreate foot well space. Also, the floor gets lower as you move the seat back from stock position, which will lower the seat and will help give back the headroom we sacrificed raising the floor. Also we will move our own body weight back about 4 inches which will move another 40LBS (a 80LB swing) from the nose to the rear when we are in the car.

Additionally, besides the 1 1/2" channel on the body, we are also bolting in the subframe with no bushing gaining another inch of body drop. So with 2 1/2" of body drop and 3" of suspension drop, we have a 5 1/2" drop on the front and 4 1/2" drop on the rear, WITHOUT compromising suspension geometry or travel!

We have other HUGE news to announce as it relates to the engine, but are in a quite period for a few more days. But it is a BIG DEAL with a BIG name engine builder we are super excited about.

Here are a couple pics we can share.

We most likely will have to build a custom throttle body! The inlet is HUGE and we will have to work on a few ideas to get a progressive TB that will open a little blade for drive ability and pull open the big blade for Hail Mary performance!

Tomorrow we will make a relief for the blower which needs to move back a tick over a inch from where it is sitting in this pic. It is going to look super cool when it is done. No worries about wipers, our new hidden delay wiper relocation kit (coming soon) gives us plenty of clearance.

just curious what is being sprayed as undercoating????

Quote Originally Posted by baggins View Post
      just curious what is being sprayed as undercoating????
      Undercoating? On the floors? Probably none actually. They will be pretty enough to paint.

Undercoating? There won't be any. We might add some heat diffusion material, but that will be on the inside of the car.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

You guys are killing me!! Now you got me thinking about moving motor back. AHHHHH!!!

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

Is it me or is this build starting to go beyond what the "average" joe can do?
      Manuel Scettri

The firewall and seat mounting will be by far the heaviest fab work, we knew that from the get go. but none of the fab is rocket science. Anyone capable of doing the quarters should be able to do the firewall.

The magazine story will discuss the engineered advantages and formulas for moving the engine back, but will also point out this is a elective thing we are doing. Well, elective for most............ because of our monster blower, it is a requirment for us. A good requirment, but a requirment none the less.

We doubt very seriously many people will use this is exact combination of monster blower and raised the floor, and set the motor back. Most will probably use a NA motor and not need to do any of this. Keep in mind also, If we would simply go ahead and use frame bushings (give up that extra inch of channeling), we could set the motor in the stock location as it would clear the rack then. but we like moving the weight back. And we will show you how we do it with no real trick tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitter Dun View Post
      You guys are killing me!! Now you got me thinking about moving motor back. AHHHHH!!!
      We will be providing a engineered formula and explanation in the story. But in fast math if you assume the lump, (motor and transmission) is 800LBS, and if that lump is 60" Long overall and you move it 8" your moving 7.5% of the weight from the nose to the tail, so 7.5% X 800 is 60LBS. So 60LBS off the nose and added to the rear is a 120LB swing. If the stock car weighs car weighs 1700LB up front and 1500LB in the rear and you have 53 / 47 weight balance. If you move 60LBS from the nose to the tail you get 1640LB up front and 1560LB in the rear, and go to 51 / 49. It is a pretty big deal actually.

Now if you lower that lump 1 1/2"...................

Like I said, the story will have lots of engineering explaination

Vertical CG is the big deal here, if you drop your engine 1.5" you're easily lowering your CG by 1" which could easily be 5%, and will decrease the distance between your RC and your CG by more than that, which will change the roll stiffness significantly, which is very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel
      is this build starting to go beyond what the "average" joe can do?
      No doubt, but what Frank said. I would argue that this mod isn't that difficult, as long as one has a welder and a supply of quality sheet metal. Let me add that we intend to photograph and show how do it, provide the engineering behind it, and document the drawbacks to this approach. One casualty is the wiper motor. It has to move, and so we'll show you our approach to how we move it. The throttle pedal is affected, the A/C evaporator, wiring, etc.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Sounding good. The intake on that blower is F'n Huge, interested to see what you come up with to match up with that massive hole.
      Dave
      FUeL 69 Camaro RS BuilD by G-Force Design & Concept
      68 Corvair coupe
      65 Impala SS
      64 Corvair Rampside
      62 Corvair Greenbrier
      Asst. daily drivers

http://www.sourceboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      Your right. I have been slammed in the shop working on finishing 2 other projects that are leaving. And have not worked on Unfair.

AND, we have been waiting on something BRAND NEW and we got it today..............

Our 3.6L Kenne Bell blower is here! And it is crazy! These have already made 1400HP on 5.6 litre motors! We did some careful measuring, Welded some engine mounts to our body jig.

So to get the crank pulley behind the rack (allows us to lower the enige 2" more), and to get the motor low enough for the blower to stay under a 2" cowl, we are moving engine 8" from stock location. This puts the motor 5" inside the cowl. It also puts the front of the engine block behind the centerline of the wheels!

So we are moving about 85LBS from the front to the rear (170LB swing) which combined with our aluminum nose should put us at 50 / 50 with no driver.

We are also moving the toe board back and the seat back which will recreate foot well space. Also, the floor gets lower as you move the seat back from stock position, which will lower the seat and will help give back the headroom we sacrificed raising the floor. Also we will move our own body weight back about 4 inches which will move another 40LBS (a 80LB swing) from the nose to the rear when we are in the car.

Additionally, besides the 1 1/2" channel on the body, we are also bolting in the subframe with no bushing gaining another inch of body drop. So with 2 1/2" of body drop and 3" of suspension drop, we have a 5 1/2" drop on the front and 4 1/2" drop on the rear, WITHOUT compromising suspension geometry or travel!

We have other HUGE news to announce as it relates to the engine, but are in a quite period for a few more days. But it is a BIG DEAL with a BIG name engine builder we are super excited about.

Here are a couple pics we can share.

We most likely will have to build a custom throttle body! The inlet is HUGE and we will have to work on a few ideas to get a progressive TB that will open a little blade for drive ability and pull open the big blade for Hail Mary performance!

Tomorrow we will make a relief for the blower which needs to move back a tick over a inch from where it is sitting in this pic. It is going to look super cool when it is done. No worries about wipers, our new hidden delay wiper relocation kit (coming soon) gives us plenty of clearance.

Something to consider would be a C5 or C6 oil pan. It would give you alot more room to drop the engine another 3-4 inches. I know John used it on II much. You can even build a custom pan since you can basically build the frame around it. We have a similar situation with the 70 we are doing.

i like the TBI blade idea. Run a progressive actuator that functions like the variable tuner valves the some modern intake manifolds. Opens up a second sets of runners when power is required.
      Looks good guys.

vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Weak. If you don't do a full Dailey Engineering dry sump pan on that engine you missed the point of being 'unfair'.

I look forward to seeing this car built and then not doing any of the things you set off to do. It will never see a track day, you will break it on the drag strip and it will be at Meacom or Barrett before it has been done for 6 months. Mark my words. (Heavy sarcasm and ribbing at John/Frank before someone crys foul)

Tyler

oh yeah even better, dry sump that bits. Put that crank center 5 inches over the ground.

Tyler, has So Cal made you a salty fart already. LOL
      I know j/k.

Vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com