Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

YAY Holley Pumps

So I was driving to work from the Spring Fling up in LA, crusing along, and al off a sudden the motor starts stuttering down and then dies, so I pull it off to the side of the highway and shut it all down. Check for anything obvious, but acted like it ran out of fuel. So I turn everything back on and go check the pump....barely humming. I get back in and crank it, it fires, turns a couple of times and dies. I turn everything back off. Grab the biggest wrench I have and hit the pump on the bottom a few times and jump back in. Turn on the power, pump is humming better now. Fire it up and off I go. At the next stop, I gas up and get some butt connectors so I can wire in my spare pump if I need to. While I'm drving around, the car stammers everytime I do any driving other than take it easy. I just got to work and finsihed swapping the pump, checked volts at pump were 11.90vdc.

This is the second Holley red pump in a year I've gone through, and I'd realy like a more relaible electric pump. I noticed they have a premium pump, anyone had any experience with it? Or have suggestions to a pump that will last me longer than 4-6 months. It seems rediculous that STOCK efi pumps last for 100's of thousands of miles and I can't get a carb pump to last.

For the record, my pump base is below the tank, and gravity feeds quite well (forearm is still a little itchy from all the fuel pouring down it) I run an Earls pre filter before the pump and a summit canister filter after the pump. The fuel goes to a by pass regulator set at 6psi, in the engine bay and has a 3/8 returnline back to the tank.

Dan W
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

This is the "premium" Holley pump btw...
      http://www.holley.com/12-125.asp
      Dan W
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

I hate to jinx myself but my Mallory 140 has been bullet proof. 4000 miles and a dozen races. Your pre filter should be no finer than 100 micron. I'd look everything over very well to see if you are causing the failures. I assume you are running a relay and it's grounded very well. I had a Holley 150 premium pump that was junk out of the box. Frank at Prodigy turned me onto this Mallory. I'm feeding 666 hp with it with 8AN/1/2 and a return regulator. I feed the pump with -10.
      Todd

After i heard more then a few times the holley red dies i decided i will go with Carter GP4600HP and i can't be more happy.

i think you should go with that.

We gotta get you up to Spring Fling Speed Festival. We had a blast last Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by rrunner68 View Post
      So I was driving to work from the Spring Fling up in LA, crusing along, and al off a sudden the motor starts stuttering down and then dies, so I pull it off to the side of the highway and shut it all down. Check for anything obvious, but acted like it ran out of fuel. So I turn everything back on and go check the pump....barely humming. I get back in and crank it, it fires, turns a couple of times and dies. I turn everything back off. Grab the biggest wrench I have and hit the pump on the bottom a few times and jump back in. Turn on the power, pump is humming better now. Fire it up and off I go. At the next stop, I gas up and get some butt connectors so I can wire in my spare pump if I need to. While I'm drving around, the car stammers everytime I do any driving other than take it easy. I just got to work and finsihed swapping the pump, checked volts at pump were 11.90vdc.

This is the second Holley red pump in a year I've gone through, and I'd realy like a more relaible electric pump. I noticed they have a premium pump, anyone had any experience with it? Or have suggestions to a pump that will last me longer than 4-6 months. It seems rediculous that STOCK efi pumps last for 100's of thousands of miles and I can't get a carb pump to last.

For the record, my pump base is below the tank, and gravity feeds quite well (forearm is still a little itchy from all the fuel pouring down it) I run an Earls pre filter before the pump and a summit canister filter after the pump. The fuel goes to a by pass regulator set at 6psi, in the engine bay and has a 3/8 returnline back to the tank.
      SPRING FLING XXV
      April 16 & 17, 2011
      Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA
      800+ Mopars, 300+ swap, 40+midways
      Speed Festival Track Event
      5th annual, Thursday, Willow Springs, 40+ Mopars
      Track Video

I have always used Aeromotive stuff since I had problems with Holley pumps years ago. A little pricey but worth the piece of mnd to me. And if you get the right pump you can go between carb/efi setups by just adjusting the regulator and changing the gauge.

Figures, i bought the holley hp150 about a month ago. Havent run the thing yet. Supposedly it was running constantly at the sema show last year for a few straight hours. If im not mistaken, isnt the red pump the one with the pre-set pressure? Is it possible the regulator is the cause of your problems? Everything else seems to be correct as far as installation goes.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com