Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

How long is too long to be in the crate?

I bought an L92 crate engine last year with intentions of putting it in this summer (after gathering 90% of the swap parts). I just found out that I will probably be moving to Chile in July for 3 years. I have thought about doing the swap but don't have the time (between work and getting ready to move). With all of the advances in the LS world I am trying to figure out whether to sell it and buy another one when I get back or just put it in storage until I return. What would you do? Any advice would be appreciated.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Here's how I think about it/how I deal with the breakneck pace that LS engines are developing and improving:

you have to decide if the engine you have meets your goals with the car. If your goal is to have the latest, greatest thing....well, good luck, you've got about 15 minutes and better know the right people to get the right parts before anybody else does.

If, however, you set a series of performance goals and targets that you want to meet with the engine, you can cater almost anything in the LS line to meet those. For example, my engine:

-Started out wanting to do an ls1, way back nearly a decade ago.
      -Watched as ls1s were overtaken by ls2s, and changed my plans
      -then came ls3s, changed my plans again, then ls7s, ls9s, lsAs, every time I kept rethinking things so I'd have the hottest setup on the block.

finally I realized I'd fallen victim to scope creep. I sat down and decided to lay out exactly what I expected from the engine:

--all aluminum for weight savings
      --close to factory-spec for reliability
      --500 crank hp, 500 crank tq
      --decent gas mileage when I was driving long range

Once I laid all of this out, I was able to explore the possibilities out there to achieve them. I finally settled on an l76, out of a G8--after a simple cam and lifter swap, I dynoed 420rwhp and 410rwtq, so pretty much on the money for my crank targets. It's almost entirely stock--I used 'vette accessories and a 'vette clutch to make parts that much easier to acquire and improve reliability that much more. I still get 20 mpg or so on the highway.

Is it the most WOWWWWWW-factor engine on the road? heck no, compared to a lot of guys on here it's downright boring (thanks mr. Rupp for showing all of us up, then pulling that engine and showing all of us up AGAIN) but it's a blast and a half to drive and I can swing by the GM dealership in the unlikely event that something does go wrong. All in all, that makes for a much more enjoyable overall package IMO than trying to stay on top of an ever-advancing curve.

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      I bought an L92 crate engine last year with intentions of putting it in this summer (after gathering 90% of the swap parts). I just found out that I will probably be moving to Chile in July for 3 years. I have thought about doing the swap but don't have the time (between work and getting ready to move). With all of the advances in the LS world I am trying to figure out whether to sell it and buy another one when I get back or just put it in storage until I return. What would you do? Any advice would be appreciated.
      I see I missed your call. Been super busy.

Sell it, I can get you anotherr when you come home.

always a good deal on a project when you have cash in hand!

I would sell it, you can always pick up another one when you return.

I'm going to second what formula said, but there's no reason to sell it in the case that you're worried about reliability. If you have the storage to keep the engine in a safe environment, it will be in the same shape when you return if you take the proper preservation precautionary measures.

I'd look into throwing some preservatives in the engine (crank case, cylinders) that will keep it from rusting and possibly putting it in a concealed wrap along with some desiccants. ( I used to have a machinery preservation role in the oil/gas construction industry). It'd be great if you could get someone to turn it every once in a while, but only if they internals are properly lubricated.

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      Just ship it to me Chris... I have a nice "blue storage compartment" for it! Congrats on the assignment to Chile!!!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Oil up the cylinders and turn it over on leave. Unless you aren't happy with your current choice and want to take a loss.

Todd

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com