Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
      Country Flag: Sweden
      The front suspension is also finished and assembled.

Heat shields for the joints. Mirror finish. Will most likely work ;)

My initial plan for brake cooling was a large duct blowing through all holes in the upright. That has been changed though, but the cut out turned out to be useful anyway since the nut could be reached from outside instead of inside the suspension (where the pushrod is blocking)

Added steering restrictions so that the calipers don't touch the arms during full turn. Aimed for 33º steering angle, but ended up with 28º. Still good though.

Hard to get a overview of the push rod geometry, but a l o t of hours were spent on getting the geometry right.

Looks pretty good when you take a few steps back

Country Flag: United States
      You have done such an amazing job on this. Fabrication skills far beyond my comprehension. It will almost be a shame to cover it all up with sheet metal... Well until you take it for a hot lap that is.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Thanks!

I might have to investigate how to create transparent body panels... ;)

Front center bolt system really didn't come out that great, at least not the locking of the front axis to the hub.
      So I upgraded the front axles. Could have kept the center bolt solution, but decided to make a new system based on Porsche dimensions. Lower weight, and the front nuts didn't protrude outside the wheel when standing in front of the car.
      Handmade!

Making new centerbolt washers for the wheels. Having a CNC-mill in the garage is really really really convenient once the shapes are a little more complex.

The downside with having a CNC-mill in the garage - there are chips everywhere. And I mean everywhere - in the garage, on the car, outside the garage, inside the house... in my socks, pockets, in the bed etc...
      I need to fix that... once the car is finished 😂

Finished washers

Some other parts. Rear axles and locking washers for them, together with new nuts. Porsche nuts are made of gold, atleast judged by the price of them, so I bought Toyota half shaft nuts instead.

On the car. That last centering-thing, visible on the picture above is not mounted yet but it'll slide over everything.

Initial plan was to anodize the washers black since the nut is black. I tried one polished though, and it felt a lot more "vintage" than the black alternative.

Straight from the mill above
      Polished below. The edge was polished when I started the project 2010 but I see it needs some love now, seven years later... That'll wait until I'm done with everything else...

Minty!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: England
      OMG! Awesome build. Subscribed to this one!

Feel your pain on getting parts and paying tax on tax btw...

'This build continues to blow minds. Everything is just so well thought out an executed. It looks like there shouldn't be much more left before the first startup?

I forgot about this thread. So spent a few hours reading. Yep, still amazing.

I finally decided what gas cap I was gonna use. Decided between the cap from the F16 air plane, and the classic le mans style. Although the F16 looks a little too modern for my exterior plans, I like it because it's so low profile and smooth. I might get another cap and remove the text to get a little more sleek appearance in the future.

I was gonna weld a tube to connect the filler hose on it, but realised (with the weld nozzle in my hand) that it was magnesium and not aluminum. Phew, could have been exciting... Made a bolt pattern in the mill instead.

Made a chamfered mount to make it look more finished

Since I couldn't weld the lid, I made a adapter instead

The necessary R&D-work that needs to be done when your making your own parts. It's a good idea to stop by the gas station making sure that the nozzle actually fits...

Since time in the mill is free, the adapter was made as light as possible.

Testing another time, making sure that flow is good

The angle is not more than 2-3°, but it will be enough because of the angle the nozzle when it's loaded into the fill hole

Throttle wire...
      The initial plan was to go drive by wire, but since that module didn't offer many features more than skipping the wire (I was hoping for cruise control, improved anti spin, improved launch control etc) i saved the money. This is a budget project after all, lol.

Home made relocation inside since the set back engine doesn't allow for the wire to enter in front of the pedal. The cable housing is from bicycles, teflon brake wire from a bicycle, 3/8" fuel line, threaded in the end, allen bolts with holes drilled through so that the cable housing is routed all the way through the line. Upper bolt is entered outside the firewall and fixes the fuel line. Patent pending ;)

Impossible to shoot pics when everything is black, but you get the idea.

View from the firewall:

Had some issues with the dry sump system. Too high pressure during test crankning. Long story short - Ordered wrong over pressure spring from Barnes.

Removed the inner one and it looks better now. Will keep track of it once engine is started

Filled the brake system. Found some leaks... fixed them and refilled the system

Ordered a new battery, lightweight version, from Odyssey. It arrived with a broken pole which was kind of frustrating.

Got a new one and was told that I could throw away the broken one.
      Throw away a working battery? Me? Haha! Why not just fix it instead?

Now I have two working batteries for the (expensive) price of one!

Then I filled the fuel system to look for leaks. Had forgotten to tighten a couple of AN fittings so had to sanitize the garage from fuel and fumes the next coming days...

Soooo...
      Cooling system, check
      Oil system, check
      Fuel system, check
      Brake system, check
      Steering, check
      electrical, almost check
      Lots of snow outside, check... :(

Pressure sensors for the brake system

Installed and routed to the dash

Something is not working properly though, so I'm looking into it right now. No contact between the sensors and the dash (and the Porsche siluette will be replaced, of course)

New shoes too

That's all for now

As much as I want to see this car finished I am going to be so sad to not see your build pictures and details on how and why you did what you did.

But seeing this car finished is going to be awesome and I am really looking forward to your first drive.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Country Flag: Netherlands
      amazing as ever!
      1st 2nd
      Pro-Touring outside the USA !
      Martin's Camaro Page

Thanks Martin!

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
      As much as I want to see this car finished I am going to be so sad to not see your build pictures and details on how and why you did what you did.

But seeing this car finished is going to be awesome and I am really looking forward to your first drive.
      I don't think you need to worry. The initial plan was to create a platform that enabled future upgrades, so there will be upgrades and improvements. It's not finished just because I start driving it. What (hopefully) will happen though, is that I'll start sharing driving experiences too and not only build updates.
      With some luck, I'll be able to attend 3-4 track days, a couple of road trips and some exhibitions each season.

Aiming for registration and paper work until summer 2019, but I guess it won't have paint nor interior by then. But once it's registered and road legal, I'll probably turn it into a winter project and driving it during the summer. A lot of this has been modified, so I'll probably wait with the show paint until some of the errors has been sorted out.

This thread won't die. ;)

Country Flag: France
      Your build is mindblowingly awesome. Outstanding work, sir.

+1 on mind-blowingly awesome Anders!!

This really is a helluva nice project!

I love the amount of creativity in this build. That radiator support is just awesome!

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

It's alive!

EDIT: Embedded doesn't seem to be working? What did I do wrong?
      Here's the link:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBIXYS0Xb00

Rockers has been adjusted since the clip was shot, but other than that it's seems to be quite OK for first start up attempt!

Next goal: touchdown!

The end is near(er)! I have to agree with the others, as much as Id like to see you drive this thing, I really enjoy the level of detail and innovation in the assembly and design.

Video is embedded properly for me
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Yes, it's definitely closer than before! Aiming for a registration early next year, although it will be far from finished then but just to make it road legal. I need some track days with it to sort things out, keep the motivation up etc.

I will probably spend years and years on continue developing it, finishing the interior, the body work, painting it etc... No chance it will be 'done' before 2023. ;)
      My plan was to create a solid platform for further development (to make it really really fast) and I'll try to stick with that plan instead of buying another project. I'm confident that this thread will contiune in the same way but with slightly more impressions from driving than before.

This week has been intense so far with lots of milestones reached;
      Sunday; First start in 8 years. It started much easier than expected.
      Monday; Down on the ground, no more jackstands!
      Tuesday; Fixing some issues related to ride height etc, got the scales under the wheels to get a quick weight.
      Wednesday; Base map and first time I heard 5000 rpm from that engine in a while. Neighbours were happy
      First class support from ECU manufacturor DTA when they connected to my computer via Teamviewer and assisted during start up, correcting some settings that I'd done wrong etc. Took them 10 minutes and would have taken me 3 months to find out.
      Tonight; Family related things and then a weekend with the family. So no more time this week unfortunately.
      Failed test drive during the same week because of a failed crimping of a cooling hose and a unadjusted clutch wich prevented me from putting it into gear. Otherwise that would have happened yesterday.

Will update with pictures and movies when I have a little bit more time.

It has still been the most action packed week during all these years so far. Motivation has reached all time high.

I had a ten minute left yesterday evening, so I just HAD to run out to the garage, start the car and put it in gear! Seems to be working just fine. Just rolled it out from the garage and in again a couple of times.
      Felt really odd to sit in the car, feeling the rough idle through the seat, put it into gear and actually drive it back and forth. Can't wait to do it again!

This has been the best week ever since I tore it down.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com