Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Congrats on the huge milestone! Love this build.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Country Flag: Sweden
      Thanks!

Been some intense weeks at work, but after Monday I'll finally have some time for the car again!

Some pics before it came down on the floor!

A lot of hours has been invested here... Most of what you see is created from scratch by myself...

Very Cool, awesome one of a kind parts!

Love this build and the gold wheels!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

WOW you've gotten so much done Anders! Last time I checked on this thread you were rebuilding the dry sump. Now it's running!!! It's by far the most complex, sophisticated, technologically advanced, labor intensive, BUDGET build I've ever seen. ahahaha

The gas filler..... Awesome
      The brake pressure sensors..... Now I NEED to figure out a mechanical set for my twin manual master setup so I can easily set the bias.

Oh ya, make sure you're using linear bicycle brake cable housing for the gas pedal, not spiral wound. the housing on the spiral wound type will slowly compress and you'll continually have to adjust the cable to get full throttle. If you want lighter weight you could use linear gear cable housing with gear wire.
      Last edited by NOT A TA; 07-06-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Just finished reading the whole thread again this week; what fantastic work you have done! This looks like a 6-figure track car build, of which there are a few posted on the forums. Congrats on getting it running and moving on it's own. Your satisfaction level has to be through the roof! Isn't the panhard bar a little low ? what's your roll center height? But really, who cares now? The following assembly of the car will be a much followed adventure!
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Thanks! I really appreciate that comment! 6 figure car? Imagine what car I could build with all those money!
      I realize that it might be slightly more crazy build than others due to the reaction I get when I share it on different sites. I will probably never sell this car and that's why I put so much effort into it. Once it's rolling, I'm looking forward to continue to develop and refine it. Hopefully I will be able to focus on smaller areas then, instead of working all over it all the time.
      I think some people will become disappointed when they see the exterior since I'm aiming for a subtle appearance (probably silver/light blue paint, not much visible aero etc) but that's the way I like it. There will be some mods, but I'll keep them to myself until I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      It's by far the most complex, sophisticated, technologically advanced, labor intensive, BUDGET build I've ever seen. ahahaha
      Glad to hear that! That was part of my plan with my 'budget' build. Although the detail level has been higher than I initially planned. I'm blaiming that guy who helping me to zinc plate all fasteners for that. Once I got them back, I realised that I had to step up since it would look boring to put back old parts with ultra-fresh looking bolts.

Good point with the cable housing. It's actually linear since that wire is a brake wire (wouldn't fit ina spiral wound).

Awesome!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Awesome skills, love the build, cant wait to see more!!!

Was wondering if you'd be willing to share your rear hub mods with me? I'm working on my own sports car design (inspired by the Lotus 7) and wanted to modify the rear hubs of a ford 8.8 IRS to use a larger bolt pattern like you did, I was wondering on the type of steel you used and the amount if interference, what welding you did to attach the larger flanges, Thanks

Rick

Such a great build! Can't wait to see more!
      Eddie

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bungi View Post
      Awesome skills, love the build, cant wait to see more!!!

Was wondering if you'd be willing to share your rear hub mods with me? I'm working on my own sports car design (inspired by the Lotus 7) and wanted to modify the rear hubs of a ford 8.8 IRS to use a larger bolt pattern like you did, I was wondering on the type of steel you used and the amount if interference, what welding you did to attach the larger flanges, Thanks

Rick
      Hi,

I don't think type of steel is that important - the hub is some kind of casted so most type of steels will probably be higher quality. i used high quality steel called IMPAX SUPREME which probably is above 4340 or so. But that was just because that was what I had laying around in the right dimensions.
      After turning the outer part of the hub, I left 0.5mm under dimension on the flange. Heated it in the oven as hot as possible and then pressed it over the flange (make sure you have prepared everything before because the heat spreads quickly to the hub). I didn't weld anything since the hub was casted. I just made a flange on the inside to prevent it from sliding over the hub.
      Bolt pattern should cross the joint of course, so you might have to adjust the outer diameter on the hub to ensure that. By doing that, you'll prevent the pieces from slip in relation to eachother.
      Pressing the wheel studs from the backside will hold everything together.

Edit: Pics here http://www.propontiac.com/hjulnav/
      You can spot the lip on the flange here;

I recently did the same operation on my lathe to fit a bigger chuck.

So much car to build, so little spare time... It has been an intensive year, atleast outside the garage. Haven't had much time for the car due to new job, a little kid that arrived a year ago and some other things. Planned to start and map the engine september last year. One year later, I still haven't done more than a 3 min test drive... Every time I made it to the garage, I've either been too tired to start something big or there have been something else to do...

Anyway, work continues it will be finished sometime. Who cares if it takes ten or twenty years? :D

Currently finishing the last part of the exhaust system.
      Made a very simple fixture for cutting the tubes.

And a small angle finder for finding the right angle under the car and transfer it to the fixture

Last part was to do a support for drawing a straight line around the tube:

Making two tight radius bends.

Exhast until now. Quite loud

Routing started. Trying to get as far away as possible from the boots and also clearing the dedione.

Measure, measure, measure, cut, measure, adjust the cut, measure, remove the pipe, spot weld the pipe. Start over with next bend...
      After like 20 times in and out from the car, first one is ready.

Aaaaaaand the second one. ☝️

Laser cut flanges. They came out heavier than I thought (specially since the exhaust is divided into three parts - 12 flanges...). Adding about 3 lbs just because of these. :( But I guess an exhaust system without leakage is better than a light one. (I actually considered making the last part in the pics in aluminum tubes instead of steel...)

Fantastic work, as usual. And congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thanks Andrew!

Exhaust finished, finally!
      Did some very quick evaluation this weekend.

Next attempt on test drive shouldn't be too far away...

Country Flag: France
      Awesome !
      Winter in comming ;) did you test drive yet ?
      show us your getaway in stockholm

Well, there is some progress actually...

Finished off the exhaust

Rolled it out and took some pics

Here are some pics of the other part of my exhaust too. I don't think I've shown pics on it before. Flatoval tubes, same area as a 2,75" tube.
      Made it flat so that it wouldn't protrude down below the floor. Lots of welding...
      This was supposed to be my temporary system but I'll probably keep this for longer time than initially planned since I put quite much effort into it.. :D

And then it was finally the scary moment of checking the weight. All the small things are there, and it's 'only' glass/panels/interior left to mount. Only...
      I was hoping for 1100kg build in this state and 1200-1250kg when finished (with glass fibre in hood, fenders and doors).
      A little disappointment realizing it was already 1230kg (but 55kg of those are gas) and it is still heavy in the front. I will have to consider an aluminum block for the engine in the future. ;)
      I will have to mount the steel panels to begin with, since they calculate allowed power based on weight during registration. So right now, I want it as heavy as possible. But then, long term goal will be sub-1300 (2800lbs)

And THEN I actually took that test drive! A couple of laps around the block in the neighbourhood, testing brakes, some acceleration, shifting, turning the wheels etc. Low speed but everything seems to work for now. A really great way of celebrating this season and a great inspirer for the coming winter!

Unfortunately no pics from actual testdrive. I was busy with other things then...

Yeah, and I bought some new tools too... A CNC-plasma, an english wheel and a shrinker stretcher. Pics are coming.

A LS swap will put you right in your target weight. Just saying...lol

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I haven't viewed this thread in quite some time now and I've got some questions. I've been searching for fabricated spindles/uprights and this is the first build I've seen with them (at least for a pro-touring vehicle, there's plenty of offroad ones out there). I've wanted to do exactly what you did and design them out of sheet metal and weld them up to accept the corvette hubs. With my limited knowledge of suspension design I've had trouble determining how to design the spindle though so I'm left with the stock 1970 chevelle ones. It looks like you made them with "X" amount of caster and made the rest adjustable (I'm sure you incorporated an increased hub height to drop the car down as well)? Do I need to run a suspension analyzer or could I get away with building in a more optimal caster than the stock ones and be on my way?

I love this build and it was great to see a video of it firing up. Keep up the great work.
      Doug

1970 chevelle, carb'd, turbo'd 383ci with a tremec tko.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com