Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Thanks!

Yeah, I've been thinking about aero catch or pins too. Aero-catch are nice, but I've recently started to striving for a more 60/70's era-correct look (well... almost...) and they will look too modern. Pins would work, but it would be great to make it with an under-hood solution.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      Thanks!

Yeah, I've been thinking about aero catch or pins too. Aero-catch are nice, but I've recently started to striving for a more 60/70's era-correct look (well... almost...) and they will look too modern. Pins would work, but it would be great to make it with an under-hood solution.
      Volvo P80 latches. They mount on the corners of the core support
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I'll take a look at those Volvo latches. Thanks!

Finally done with the fender mounts. Light and rigid!

Plan was to continue with building mounts for lights, but once I realised how much the holes in the front moved around when I twisted it into the correct position, I changed my mind and started cutting up the front instead.

Building an entire car by yourself, after you've taken care of full time work, family etc always require topping up with food and beverages that contains quick energy. You start with chocolate, then you go for candy since it contains more sugar. Then go switch over to eating 100% clean sugar with a spoon, then coffee, Espresso, double espresso, tripple espresso. Red bull... Redbull with a tripple espresso etc. Right now I'm evaluating heavier stuff:

With a pound of glass fibre dust in my lungs, it was time to cut up the front to (hopefully) have an improved fitment against the fenders and the hood.

Made a wooden fixture, which would have made any Morgan owner jealous, and fixed the front against it with screws while I had it mounted to the car. Once fitment was good, I could just remove the front without risking to change the position of the surfaces.

Also removed about a 1/4" from each side of it. Grinded the inside surfaces with a angle grinder to remove excessive old polyester and to get rid of the oxidised surface since it's probably a couple of years old.

Taped all the cuts trying to prevent ending up with polyester all over the floor.

Three layers of glass fibre later and it was time to remove the wood fixture.

Before:

And... I was a little nervous here... After:

I know, it looks a little brutal with all the cuts, but all surfaces are in-line so it just needs gelcoat and some filler and then it will look better.

Previous owner (I bought it used - remember; budget project...) didn't succeed very well with cutting the outer shape.

5 minutes with 80-grit paper and fitment was better.

And this is what I'm doing right now: A simple mold to make a flange so that I can bolt it to the fenders. It will probably take another week or so before it's finished.

You can also mask off the fender and use filler to merge the gaps as well.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Anders I needed a laugh today and this post did it for me and it brought back the smile to my face today. Thank You

Okay, WOW ! The Car looks incredible and I love the fender brackets and this car blows me away.

Thank you again for sharing your build and for me it's Dark Chocolate M&M's when I get tired and I am in my garage. I also bounce back and forth between my car and my mountain bike projects to keep me from falling asleep when I am in the garage. Of course the hammock in the garage does offer a nice place to nap when I get exhausted and don't feel like walking back into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post

Building an entire car by yourself, after you've taken care of full time work, family etc always require topping up with food and beverages that contains quick energy. You start with chocolate, then you go for candy since it contains more sugar. Then go switch over to eating 100% clean sugar with a spoon, then coffee, Espresso, double espresso, tripple espresso. Red bull... Redbull with a tripple espresso etc.

Right now I'm evaluating heavier stuff:

marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Project's not dead. At least not yet.
      Lack of spare time right now - Career, second kid arriving any day, projects related to house and kids are 'taking' time for the moment.

I do have some limited time in the garage, but that's mostly focused at getting somewhere rather than uploading pics... I'll be back later this year, hopefully. Last kid demanded a 11 month break from the garage because of no night sleep at all, so we'll see how that statement will hold up. ;)

Anyway, working on lights right now so that I can route that part of the electrical system.
      Tail lights prototype is done. Works better than I expected and eBay-leds are enough bright to work as brake lights (DRL in pic though).
      https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...1a&oe=5DA08B06

And the front clip is on! Starting to look like a car!
      https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7d&oe=5DDD072D

I also found a Ram Air-hood north in Sweden that hopefully will arrive later this year.

Right now, updating the facebook page is easier (mobile pics, app in phone...), so make sure you guys are following that.

SyborgTT; Thanks a lot! Yes, it does start to look like a car again! There are some serious amount of hours needed to panel fitment (and some mods) before it looks the way I want it.
      Don't blow away too far, it would be nice if you could reach the keyboard after future updates. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
      Of course the hammock in the garage does offer a nice place to nap when I get exhausted and don't feel like walking back into the house.
      I would kill for having a garage large enough to house a hammock AND a car. At least some ants, perhaps a rabbit or a deer...

Any chance you can show the mounts you made for the nose to fenders and how you attach them to the fiberglass?

Thanks,
      Stan

any updates?

anything?

I hope this project is still moving forward. Such a cool build.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      I hope this project is still moving forward. Such a cool build.

What? How can you not think it's moving forward? It's only been two years since last update!
      Hope you guys didn't hold your breath...

Been busy with family, work etc bot goal is to spend more time (read: downgrading hours slept per night...) during fall and winter to make some progress.

Already started a bit, but here are some overall pics so far.
      Really like the stance right now. There's 10mm rake right, front wheels sits perfect but the rear could be appr 5mm further out. Rear wheel arches are modified, but the fronts still needs to be done. Low prio right now though.

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Looks good sofar ... I think we all have periods that life gets in the way of our projects
      1st 2nd
      Pro-Touring outside the USA !
      Martin's Camaro Page

Such a mean looking Firebird
      My thoughts and ramblings while working on my motor driven menagerie http://mechanicdude.blogspot.com/

Good to see you're at it! Two years isn't so bad. We won't talk about how long it's been since I worked on mine, currently rebuilding the exterior of my house.

Don't get me started on house projects... Need to do some extensive gardening planning, but that project will hopefully be postponed until the Firebird is road legal again. When we moved to house, 9 years ago, we ended up with buying a 1 year old hose. Was mostly looking for houses built 1930-ish but today I'm really glad I haven't had to renovate an entire house. That would probably have stopped me from ever starting the Pontiac project...

Anyway, 1.5 years break. Then it must be some really juicy updates you think?

How about... ... ...the wiper motor!

I got the lever from a Opel Corsa (since the steering column is from the same car) so I ended up with a motor from the same car too, to make the wiring easier. Tried to use the original motor (that has the parking-mode too) but never got the parking feature to work properly. And since that motor is made out of cast iron has the same amount of copper as a new Tesla, there was some appealing weight reduction with a newer motor too.

Stock Corsa motor. The engineers has really made an effort not having any traditional mounting holes on the motor. two metal tubes are crimped onto the chassis. Attachment points are in the other end of the tubes...

...So I copied with aluminum tubes. Used a vise to make the ends flat, drilled them and put a rivet nut in them to make a good attachment point.

Mounted where it should be. Engine is so close to the firewall so this was the only option. Should have painted the tubes black though. Gonna add that to the future-white-lab-coat-update-list.

Water tank. Same thing here, not a really good place to put it in the engine compartment, so I put it as far back and as low as possible - I mean, it will carry 2 lbs of water. Don't wanna carry that weight in front of the wheels, doh. ;-)

Nice work as always. I love seeing the updates on this car. Keep it up!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Thanks!

Have done some prepping for the windshield during the last days. Need to have that mounted in next week.

The end of the A-pillars looks really bad. Is this really stock, or has something happened to my car?
      The cut is not aligned with the door, the shape is not parallell to the door (if you look at it from above) etc. I made a small piece of metal that has the same shape as the stainless window trim has.

I'n not sure yet if I'm gonna cover the dash with something else but steel, but I made some templates for future projects.

Also some finishing work of the base for my future headliner. Sun visors are mounted - they need some trimming to fit the cage. Headliner was trimmed around side windows and windscreen.

Trying to utilise most of the original mounts

I also printed mounts for the headliner to be attached to the cage at the A-pillar. They needed to be glued to the headliner before the windscreen was mounted. Printed in carbon fiber reinforced ABS. We get hot summers here, but not that hot so I think that should be OK.
      They are just snapped around the cage, and a small screw in the bottom fixing the liner. The screw would probably have been enough, but avoiding potential rattle is important...

Glued and fixed!
      Good luck doing that with the windscreen sitting there...

Also made a tool for releasing the window trim in the future.
      [/img]http://www.propontiac.com/wp-content/uploads/A_IMG_5239.jpg[/img]

Finished the mod. Forgot to take pics of it, but I'lll do that later.

One of the window trims for the rear window was cracked, so made an attempt of fixing it before buying another one.

In the future when the car is at the painter, I'm planning to polish the trim, rechrome other parts etc but for now I settled with a quick polish. A little concerned of the different tone of the weld and the rest of it but that'll hopefully disappear once they're polished.

Adding filler...

I am glad to see your still working on it and I understand the life get's in the way.

Love the updates and looking forward to more pictures.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Thanks Marty!

Some more updates. Windshield is in

Painted the metal inside the windscreen. Which I made paper templates of in last post to cover with vinyl. That I'm now painting. Before I'll cover it..
      Well, we'll see what I end up with, but just to be safe I painted it now.

silk matte. It looked cheaper than I thought.

Nothing a little matte clear coat can't fix

Even though paint still is far away in the future, I've decided color. Has taken some time and I was originally going with a light blue according to this render

But then I stumbled across a light blue original paint, Adriatic Blue. This was the only -72 Trans Am that was painted in it and... ...I understand why.
      EDIT: But when I look at it now, it looks better than I remember.

So... Some time ago I found another darker blue, painted on an old 911 and it looked really good.

Worthless sample, but it looked OK so I ordered a spray can.

And yes, that looks better!

Discreet and sober, just like I want it. Chrome lists around the windows, dark interior and it will probably look like a lowered regular Firebird with some modern wheels.

Painted the window frames, and of course the 2k clear cote spray can broke and started dripping everywhere. But at least I managed to paint all surfaces beneath the window trim.

Glued the windshield. First time I did this. Unfortunately, it ended up just a little to low for the trim to rest on the glass (it's really little, but I will have to do another attempt once the car is painted).

Bought new wiper blades too, but due to Corona there was no regular blades so I ended up with aeeeeeeero blades!

Designed and printed an adapter in CF-PETG so that they would fit. Bought other windscreen washer nozzles too, since I don't want them attached to the hood.

All for now. Next up is the dyno! Will hopefully have a result within the next few days! Or in the market for shopping a new block. Time will tell

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com