Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Work continues...

New pulley with integrated pulley mount for the dry sump and also converted to multirib instead of the V-version.
      I turned the first parts of it long time ago, before I had the mill. Would still do it today though, since the multirib-geometri is easier to do in the lathe.

Wham, blam finished!
      Firt time I was 3D-milling. The cone is made with a full radius pin and came out better than expected. Kind of nervous since I didn't start with a test piece lol.

When you don't pay per hour, you can afford to save some weight on the back side of it too.

New trigger wheel too. Smaller and lighter than the old one thanks to the holes.

Assembled...

...and finished.

Gonna finish the mount for the dry sump now and will start spacing the alternator and AC in order to fit the crank pulley correct.

Country Flag: Australia
      Looking great
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Alternator mount. I made that steelplate before I had the mill. The future will probably bring an aluminum version of it instead.
      Stable attachment points were important...

Since the AC-compressor was the heaviest component, it was mounted as far down as possible to keep the CGH low. I had some problems with getting it rigid, but ended up attaching it to the block. Hard to get a pic of it, but you'll get the idea on the CAD-screenshot

The extra pulley is just a future lifeline if the belt slips at the alternator or compressor. I'll start easy and use as short belt as possible.

Finished!
      Turned out pretty good. I wish the alternator could be moved slightly towards the left in the pic, but the pluspole on the backside would touch the head then.
      Both alternator and AC-compressor has been moved back as much as possible to

Country Flag: United States
      What an incredible build! The amount of DIY in this build truly represents the Built not Bought mentality - love it! Definitely subscribing to this thread to see the fruition of all the hard work.
      1967 Mustang Coupe - I think I've built more tools\jigs than worked on the car???
      Build Thread: Project OCD

Progress...

Been working on the reinforcements surrounding the engine. Turned out it would have been A LOT easier if i just moved back the engine another 2". It's already set back 8", so I shouldn't...

Reality CAD turns out to be a very convenient method in this case...

...combined with some real CAD, of course.

...which tends to end up in a variety of different alternatives...

However, the one above turned out to be the stiffest alternative of all different models tested.
      I had to build the upper triangle first since I needed some references for the rocker arm reinforcement tube. Not sure I'll do the front triangle now. There are too many unfinished components surrounding the attachment points at the subframe that has to be finished first.

Notching tubes with the mill is really simple. Appr three minutes.

Turns out pretty good.

First triangle finished. Really light and stiff at the same time.
      Those bolts holding the valve covers will be shortened...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by modmotor46 View Post
      What an incredible build! The amount of DIY in this build truly represents the Built not Bought mentality - love it! Definitely subscribing to this thread to see the fruition of all the hard work.
      Thank you for the kind words!

updating the coilmounts, since these:

didn't fit after the reinforcement were made...

I thought about placing them in front of the engine, but eight coils (or 2x4) is a rather large package and there was not enough room (because of the reinforcements, again).

So it was time to start the mill and making new mounts for them...

Easy peasy - One...

...two...

....three!

(just a test piece in the pic. I made two final ones after this)

Some manual work in the late and suddenly I had this:

Which looks like this assembled:

The finished result. Came out pretty good. A little tighter package than before

Anders you never stop amazing me.

Thank you for sharing this incredible project.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Damn that looks tough!

Very inspiring! Makes me want to jump on the mill :-) Just wish I had CNC.

Danny,
      1967 Mustang Coupe - I think I've built more tools\jigs than worked on the car???
      Build Thread: Project OCD

Thanks!

Some teaser pics of what I'm doing right now.

Hopefully the rest of the electrical system will look like this too.

And an "in the moment" picture. Slightly chaos, but it's hard to avoid considering the cramped space

Some pics of my front reinforcement bar. The subframe is almost as stiff as the rest of the body now. Almost.
      By just lifting one of the front wheels up with a jack resulted in a 0.01" movement between the upper A-arms attachment points. It will be alot more when you actually put some G on it.
      The movement was reduced to 0 with the bar (but it'll still flex with higher loads of course).

Upper triangle is finished since before

And here's the lower one.

Compact design around the engine. The beast is caged. :D

Some reinforcements in weak areas.

For those of you wondering why I didn't do a symmetrical design; Straght tubes are the best (of course), and bended should be considered as a compromise. For me, it's really hard to justify bringing in more compromises than necessary. Performance above looks, lol.

Country Flag: Australia
      Function always has to trump form. Great work as always
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Some overview pics

As you can see, status is slightly ahead than what's updated here... It'll come sooner or later. I like to finish the smaller projects and then show the result instead of "live" updating.

Things to finish before startup: Electrical system and oil system. And a ton of minor things probably...
      First goal was to start it before the winter, but some other priorities will postpone that milestone. Will probably wait with startup until snow is gone.

And here's the entire work space I've got available (notice that pic is taken outside of the garage - you can see the frame of the door). It's about 4' between the bench and the car. On the sides, it's appr. 3' from the car to the wall. Tight space...
      It works, but it's not optimal. I'm still satisfied considering that I've managed to squeeze in a CNC-mill, a TIG, a reasonable sized workbench and a air compressor (on the attic on top of the garage). Future plans for the garage is isolated roof and heated during the winter - I want that even more than more space..., some kind of powder coat possibility or some kind of fume extraction for spray gun painting. After that I'll probably have to expand the building to get room for more stuff, lol...

Interior. Kind of chaos right now since I'm working with the electrical system. Inner liner looks good though. Looking forward to cover it with suede.

I love the idea of wrapping the cage like you are doing.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Incredible work. Love checking in for the updates.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Thanks!

I bougth a Vintage Air system for the project. Good and nice quality product, so there's nothing to complain at there.

However, it just circulates the air inside the coupe, which I didn't realize until I had it in my hands. I wanted something that took air from outside instead.
      So I had to modify it... :D

As it was delivered:

The air inlet is hidden behind the hoses for water and gas.

Going to design a funnel for the inlet, but I'm still looking for a filter (like new cars) which will be included in the funnel. Here's the first mock up, just to make sure that it fits.

Some more paper templates to make sure measurements are right.

Press START on the printer and leave it over night. My kind of work... love that machine!

Finished design;

Installed

Very, very impressive work! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks!

You'll have to wait a while before you can see that... ;)

Did the blue flange a couple of weeks ago. 1mm (19ga) aluminum. Total weight of the flange is roughly 1lbs.

Finished... Forgot to take some pics during the construction work.

Condensor mounted.
      When the body is assembled, I'll build a scoop from the front intake to that flange.

Made some quick weld in bolts for attaching the condensor to the flange...

...but I forgot to swith the TIG to AC-mode. #fail

Made new ones and it worked AC-weld worked a lot better...

Used condensor, which is a little boring since finish level usually is higher. But it works...
      The flange is attached to the rad support and the condensor is attached to the flange.

I love this thread! Just proves there are still craftsmen alive!

When ever i see the e-mail that says you did an update I do my best to get to a computer and look at the pictures.

Your e-mails never cease to amaze me.
      marty-mj

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com