Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

"Project X" Pro Touring Hornet

Well it has been quite awhile since I posted anything about our Hornet LSX pro touring project and now it seem I'm having to rebuild this thread as all of the images are missing since I first started the thread quite a few years ago.
      This is what we started with as a base for our project build. A low mileage 1973 Hornet X complete with a hurt 258 six cylinder motor and automatic transmission. The car only had 54K miles on the odometer and all the paperwork to prove it. I receive allot of flack about cutting up such a low mileage Hornet with all of the documents including the original build sheet but I'm on a mission to finally build a Pro Touring AMC Hornet my way. follow along if you will as I rebuild this thread and give a review of the history of creating our little project on a super strict budget.
      1973 was the first production year of the Hatchback body style for the AMC Hornet. After some research we discovered this this Hornet X was a special order with lots of unique options added. Turns out our Hornet was pulled from the "test batch" lot of cars built for testing and evaluation and then were later to be destroyed and not for sale. This one survived and was sent back through the assembly line to have all the special options installed in it.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/asset.ph...9&d=1525504903
      Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 10.35.59 PM.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  20.8 KB

Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by Hornet LSX; 05-04-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Deleating thread as images no longer available

Cool project. I like the look you have going on it.

oh wow very nice!!! looks great with the 17" wheels
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Thank you for the motivation. Most of the time you see Javelins and early AMX's out there with the "pro" stock / touring status. Have seen a few Hornets road cars that really impress but not all of them. Kind of overlooked body style until recently. Also excited to see the AMC Rebels and Matadors being looked a favorably for Pro-Touring builds.

The 17's look nice, but I liked the 18's a little more. It is probably more functional with a little more sidewall though.
      Stephen

Country Flag: Canada
      Your Hornet looks better than my wife's did.
      They are a nice light car so it won't take a lot of power to make it scoot. I'm sure the MOPAR fans will tell you to put a newer hemi in it.
      For a smaller bumper you should look at some of the older model years. The '72s were a lot smaller, then grew a little in '73, and ballooned for '74. I don't think they made any extreme changes in the body to accommodate the porky bumpers.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Great project. I think you've got a lot of good ideas for the car too.

The car reminds me of late 70s Corollas.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Agreed, I'm still considering going back to 18's in the rear. Once we get the narrowed 8.8 installed and the mini tub completed will start calculating how big of a tire we can tuck up under the rear. Running the 17's for now for ease of driving at least twice a week. I'm having so much fun driving the car as is it's hard to pull it off the road and tear it all apart again.
      Funny you should mention Corollas, That's not the first time I have heard that. Had one guy suggest I take a Corolla, mod it to look like a Hornet AMX and AMC power it.
      When the Hornet was having the suspension fabricated Al at Control Freaks did offer a really good deal on installing a Viper motor and trans in it while they had the car in their shop. Was oh so tempting but really could not afford the swap at the time.
      Looking for a place that makes fiberglass parts for the AMC's. There is someone up in Canada who claims to make the parts but has mixed reviews on communication and quality. Considering glass bumper for the front for ease of modification. Also they make glass doors, tremendous weight savings but then there is the safety issue driving on the street.
      The other mod I want to do is create a Challenger type hood for the car. There is a really cool rendition of a rally car hornet that has allot of the mods I want to do with the car.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Hornet LSX View Post
      Looking for a place that makes fiberglass parts for the AMC's. There is someone up in Canada who claims to make the parts but has mixed reviews on communication and quality.
      If it's that outfit in the Toronto area (416 or 905 area code) STAY AWAY FROM THEM !!!
      Even local guys have trouble dealing with the knuckle head.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

That is a very sweet car. I will be tuning in for your continued build! I like the 17s on there, they're a good balance for what you mentioned are the relatively small wheelwells.
      My father owned one of these cars in the late 70s and I've been casually trying to track down a hatch for a while now. I nearly pulled the trigger on a low mileage, good condition 74 Wagon a couple weeks ago, but was having trouble with one of the DDs and didn't want to spend the money... of course, by the time I was in a position to buy again it was lonnng gone.
      1969 Dodge Coronet Coupe - PT Project
      1974 Dodge Dart Swinger - The Cruiser

Ken, I'm thinking we are talking about the same group up in Canada. To bad as they are the only group that lists anything like doors and the rear hatch in glass for the Hornets.

Sneke_Eyez, I sent you a PM with a like to a decent Hornet. There are "Hatches" out there for sale just have to travel a bit to get a decent starter project.I see one or two listed on e-bay every other month or so. I was lucky to purchase mine for $700.00 from a one owner and only 54K(documented) miles on the odometer.

I found a Hornet the other week while heading to the beach that exact color yours was before the repaint. It is in near mint condition, thinking of going to look at it.

HELCAMINO, Do it you wont regret it. These are awesome cars to resto-mod. The aftermarket industry is expanding rapidly to include AMC's.

"Project X" Pro Touring Hornet

Love the project! I may be doing an AMC in the shop soon; my son is really wanting to build a Gremlin! We found one in Arkansas that looked like a great candidate, but it was already sold. Keep us in mind of you run across one.
      Joe Hinds

Joe, Will do on finding an AMC Gremlin. Since it sound like you will do a full on custom are you considering a clean "roller" Gremlin with good title? or prefer a complete "driver" to start with? will let you know if something shows up in our area. I know where two Gremlins for sale are in our area right now but they are complete running customs so the price is up there. You know how is goes. Wanting to recoup as much of their investment as possible. Any particular year model?

Wynn

We got lucky, and found a running (but fairly rough) '72 Gremlin X, and it wasn't even that far from us...up near Lookout Mountain. We paid $1500 for it, and it still has the factory 304 V8. I'm planning on using the Control Freak front suspension, and maybe fabbing up a 3 link with an 8.8 Explorer axle. The purists are going to hate me, but we're thinking LS power and a T56 too.
      Joe Hinds

I love the small AMCs, thats why I got a Spirit.

On power plant have you considered staying in the family with a newer i6 from a Jeep and a turbo on it? That combo can more power than you'll need.

304s have thick walls so good for boost if you upgrade rods, pistons, etc. If you stay naturally aspirated with an AMC V8, 401s are getting hard to find but 360s are common, can be stroked to 400+ cuin, are a direct fit, and can make good power with mildly ported stock heads or fit Edelbrock or Indy SR heads to save some weight. AMC V8s aren't that heavy - especially if you fit aluminum intake, heads, water pump and headers. A Chevy LS T56 bolts to an AMC using a Quicktime RM8075-T56 bell or you can use an adapter plate with a Lakewood or Quicktime T10 style bell. I have a T56 Magnum behind a 401 in my Javelin.
      Duane
      '74 AMC Javelin AMX

Very cool build, love it.

Thanks for the input guys!
      Joe, congrats on the Gremlin find. You will really like the Control Freak Suspension. Al and the crew are really great people to deal with and will do what ever is needed to get the suspension dialed in.

Thephranc, Had considered a 4.0 with turbo but after talking allot with "Turbo Tom" who was running a 9 sec Spirit with 4.0 turbo they are very temper mental. He is now running an LS motor in the Spirit. I'm helping My Son build a Spirit GT. It will be an all out drag car.

AMC Racer, The only problem with a 304 is it's basically a "square" motor. plus the crank is cast. limited HP build. We have a 360 and considered custom forged rods and pistons, 390 factory forged crank. I don't know if you are familiar with the Melinnie Brothers but they built a really nasty 360 for a "Pinks all out challenge" and I have access to most of the information on their build. pricy build but worth every penny! My ultimate goal is a 6 speed tranny. Thanks for the info. is you Javelin posted on the forum?

Thanks Glenn! I'm glued to the Hornet Hatchbacks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com