Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1970 OO Judge

1970 OO Judge

Hey guys. I sold my Hurst Rambler today so I figured it would be a good time to start building the Judge. I plan to keep the body fairly stock since it is a real Orbit 70 Judge. I'd like to add coil overs , probably something like an LQ9 and a TKX. I like the look of stock style Rally 2 wheels and found a couple options. Unfortunately they don't come in anything over a 9.5" wide. I was thinking maybe 18" front and 20" rear. I'd love to stuff a 305 in the rear, but it won't happen on a 9.5" wheel, so unless I go for another style, a 295 is probably a big as I can go. I have to restore the car too but I'm hoping it won't take too long. Any recommendations on coil over kits? I'm trying not to break the bank on this one and will not be doing any sort of racing, I just want a good tight ride and I like the height adjustability of the coil overs. And if anyone has seen a nice reasonably priced wheel that might look good I'm open to others. I found a 295/30/20 at work and there is plenty of room. US Mag or Rev 9 is what I was looking at for wheels.
      https://www.performanceplustire.com/...shed/ws:20x9-5

Name:  IMG_20230130_142543732_HDR.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  357.0 KBName:  IMG_20230203_144302591.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  170.2 KB

I had a 295/30/20 in 10” wide wheels and the were very squared…. No stretch at all. I think it might be 2 wide for a 9.5

I believe I saw they recommend a 285 max on a 9.5 wheel. I saw a video of a guy that had a 285, 295, and a 305 on a 9.5" wheel. The 285 and 295 looked fine, but the 305 looked weird. I suppose it also matters what tires they are. Surely they are not all the same. I am not married to those wheels, it's just a good looking affordable option. I even considered seeing about having them widened. They do make those in bigger sizes, but they are a 3 piece. $300each for the ones I'm looking at or $1700 each for the 3 piece. Big jump $$!

Country Flag: United States
      Nice project.

You could have the wheels widened. One example of a company that does it. https://weldcraftwheels.com/
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

Yeah I looked into that. It's about $300 per wheel and they will only do the backside on those. That would end up having way too much backspacing (about 6.5") for a wide wheel for me. I'm in a situation for sure!

Anyone have any thoughts on a reasonable coil over kit? And are tubular A arms necessary?

Umi performance suspension. I have really enjoyed mine over the last 10 years.

Nice, I've been looking at a bunch of them. Seems like they are all pretty similar except for the shocks.

I want to try to get my wheels picked out and in my hand soon, because I have to put outer wheelhouses in it, and I could modify them a bit if needed to clear a wider tire.
      Up front (if I go with the wheel I linked) I would probably go with an 18x9 with maybe a 255/30 or 35.

In my opinion, 18" wheels on the front and 20" wheels on the rear make these cars look very awkward. I would do 18s or 19s all the way around.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

To each his own but I agree with Andrew I think it throws the appearance of the car off

Ok. I will look at that option. The wheels I'm looking at don't come in 19's. Might be time to look at other options. Getting to be too many strikes against them.

Also I'm open to suggestions. Seen anything recently that looks good on a gto? Trying to stay under 2k for wheels.

Ok. I finally got the outer wheelhouses and quarters finished up. I've been looking at different options for the drivetrain. I had talked myself into a LT1 and a 10 speed, but last night a deal fell into my lap on a 2012 Corvette. Obviously I can't use the trans so I'd have to get that figured out. Probably go with a TKX. Does anyone know if I could make the Corvette brakes work on my car? I see some F and G body conversions, but I don't see anything for an A body.

Quote Originally Posted by gtome View Post
      Ok. I finally got the outer wheelhouses and quarters finished up. I've been looking at different options for the drivetrain. I had talked myself into a LT1 and a 10 speed, but last night a deal fell into my lap on a 2012 Corvette. Obviously I can't use the trans so I'd have to get that figured out. Probably go with a TKX. Does anyone know if I could make the Corvette brakes work on my car? I see some F and G body conversions, but I don't see anything for an A body.
      Kore3 has brackets if you want to use stock spindles. A better option is to get the SpeedTech spindles and the appropriate control arms. Their spindles use modern C5/6 hubs and use the Corvette brakes as well.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

ridetech offers a kit for the A body that comes with corvette hub spindles(looks to be new designed spindles by ridetech), not sure if it's compatible with the tru turn drive link. Might be a good option as your trying to run some larger front tires.

Thanks guys I will look into those. Just want to try and use as much of this car as possible to make buying it worthwhile.
      This is a real orbit orange Judge so I also have to be careful I don't do anything I can't undo if I wanted/needed to.

There is a template on the internet but now i cant find it. I used in on my chevelle. If you have access to a laser cutter. It also requires a small bushing and you need drum brake hubs. Ill dig for some pictures if i still have them

Name:  IMG_1707.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  47.8 KB
      You can also machine down ur old discs brakes to hubs. Press in bigger studs and use the corvette rotors

Interesting! We do have a small machine shop at work. I bet my guy could machine them for me.
      I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing for a rear end yet. I have a couple of 10 bolt rears but I'm not sure what kind of power they will hold. I will be running the LS3 with something like a stage 2 or 3 cam in it most likely(so less than 550 crank hp). I've kicked around putting a turbo on it, but I have some much work to do on the car still I doubt that would ever happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com