Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Small update:

I was having a hell of a time pressing in the lower control arm bushings using the manual press at work, and I was afraid I was gonna damage the arms, so I dropped them off at my mechanic and he pressed them in the right way for 30 bucks. So the lower control arms are assembled and ready to go. I just got the offset shafts in today for the uppers, so I'll most likely be on the safe side and drop them off and have him press those in too. I'm also still cleaning up the subframe the best I can while its on the car, and most likely the next step will be the G-mod. more to come............

Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Dropped the upper arms off today for the bushings to be pressed in, those are now done. Again, well worth the $30 to have these pushed in.

Starting on doing the Guldstrand mod tonight. When I'm done drilling the holes and cutting the old holes out for arm clearance, I'll be finishing up cleaning the frame and the plan is then to put POR-15 on it.

and finally, just a shot of the engine, nothing special, just your plain ole SBC.

Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Now you just need to replace that sbc with a 455 poncho.
      69 Firebird Convertible.
      www.stevegarrison.com click Firebird link at bottom of page

Quote Originally Posted by steve g View Post
      Now you just need to replace that sbc with a 455 poncho.
      hahaha, I knew someone was eventually going to say that. Its not my fault though, previous owner had this in, this is originally a straight six car.
      Rene P.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Firebird View Post
      More Firebirds on here every week it seems. I like it! Car looks nice good luck with the mods.
      Im restoring a 68 firebird too. Just not picture worthy yet. as more progress is made then ill start a thread.

Country Flag: Canada
      ive got a few 455 blocks kicking around, i could let one go for a decent price, just not my SD block.

started the guldstrand mod this weekend on the drivers side. I have to say, I was actually very nervous to do this since I would be cutting away the stock holes, but I feel a bit more confident after what I've done so far.

template cut out and put in place

new holes drilled with studs in, checking to see what needs to be cut

stock holes cut out for clearance of upper arm, still need to grind it to make it look all purty

also have to grind down a small area of the rear of the upper arm for clearance

well, that's it for tonight, more to come.....
      Rene P.

More info on gulstrand mod?
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

Quote Originally Posted by bonecrrusher View Post
      More info on gulstrand mod?
      Click on the first link of page 1, post 4.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Cool looking forward to it.
      Quote Originally Posted by NYTRANSAM View Post
      Im restoring a 68 firebird too. Just not picture worthy yet. as more progress is made then ill start a thread.

1968 Firebird. Owed and operated since 1981. 455 5 speed 4 link mini-tubed ect.....

I ordered a hotchkis sway bar 2 weeks ago from Never enough auto cause they had a good price on it, and the damn thing isn't shipping from hotchkis until next friday!!! Not that I'm even ready for it yet, just saying. When I ordered my subframe connectors from global west it was the same thing, seems like most of these places either sell out of their product really quick or they make it as its ordered.

anywho, went out and got some flap discs for the angle grinder and its cleaning up the frame much better than my previous assorted methods, this is actually getting to the metal. Tonight I ordered some chassis black primer and chassis black paint from eastwood. I've decided to go that route instead of the POR-15. small progress in small increments right now, but I'm finishing my basement at the same time, and as far as my wife is concerned the basement is what should take priority, LOL.

Rene P.

Looking good, and glad to see more firebirds on the site.

Got the front clip all masked up today, just gotta cover the hood now, I ran out of tape. also started grinding the passengers side of the frame. Getting ready for when the paint arrives this week. still have to do the Gmod on the passengers side.

Rene P.

Your car looks great. it's good to see a first gen. firebird. I get tired of seeing the first gen camaro's. I dont think the firebirds get the attention that they deserve. Good luck with your build.

Painted the engine side of the fenderwells today. They were really dull looking.

Also ordered some not so fun stuff but very necessary stuff today:

- UMI performance tie rod sleeves from Summit
      - front shock bolts, upper shaft to frame bolts, and lower arm bolts and nuts from ames performance, $68 on nuts and bolts, plus shipping of course
      Rene P.

Quote Originally Posted by 68firebird View Post
      Painted the engine side of the fenderwells today. They were really dull looking.

Also ordered some not so fun stuff but very necessary stuff today:

- UMI performance tie rod sleeves from Summit
      - front shock bolts, upper shaft to frame bolts, and lower arm bolts and nuts from ames performance, $68 on nuts and bolts, plus shipping of course
      Car is coming along NICE -- Look around for a local hardware store - I have learned to save extra coin by stopping by the local hardware. We have Tractor Supply stores and also SECORE Lumber - both have very nice supply of stainless and grade 8 bolts and nuts - my last deal was stainless bolts for my rear diff $7.32 out the door (Summit or Jeg's was around $20 plus shipping and waiting)
      Don
      Grace - 67 Camaro daily driver with upgrades along the way.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Camaro-Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Dons67 View Post
      Car is coming along NICE -- Look around for a local hardware store - I have learned to save extra coin by stopping by the local hardware. We have Tractor Supply stores and also SECORE Lumber - both have very nice supply of stainless and grade 8 bolts and nuts - my last deal was stainless bolts for my rear diff $7.32 out the door (Summit or Jeg's was around $20 plus shipping and waiting)
      thanks Don, and thanks for the tip! there is at least one mom and pop hardware store that I can think of, I'll have to give them a try when I need new nuts and bolts. I've tried both home depot and lowes and for the most part they suck for that stuff.
      Rene P.

small update:
      Guldstrand mods are complete, frame cleaning about 95% complete, probably get that finished tomorrow. Chassis primer and paint comes in tomorrow from eastwood and all the bolts I ordered from Ames performance comes in tomorrow also. I'm so close to puttin the front back together I can smell it.
      Rene P.

crispy new bolts are always nice! i dont know if u have osh or ace hardware stores on the east coast but they have super reasonably priced fastener selections for other odds and ends on ur project. (stainless grade 8 zinc etc). I've spent lots of time sourcing them for my bird.
      1968 Restomod FireBird • Twin Borg Warner EFR Turbocharged LS3 • T56 Magnum • Ford 9”• Modern Sub-Frame & Suspension • C7 Seats • 24 Pistons • Forgelines

Wow, looking good! I need to start doing that to my 2nd gen T/A.

How in the world were you able to have that beauty in the garage for 4 years and not drive it? Sounds like torture to me, lol.
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am, Ls1/t56, SLP lid, LT's, cut-out, Borla cat-back.

1980 Pontiac Trans Am, soon to get Ls1/t56 transplant.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com