Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

gasoline volume ?

trying to figure out the capacity of a fuel tank but can only find the measurement for a volume of water (231 c.i per gallon). Now since the S.G. of gasoline is 25% less than water (6.25 vs. 8.33) Would it be safe to assume I can reduce the volume measurement of 231 by 25% and use it for calculations ? Or am I totally off base ?

Country Flag: United States
      Volume and specific gravity (SG) are two independent properties. You can figure out your gallons of volume with the conversion factor of 231 ci per gallon.

SG is actually the ratio of the density of a substance to a reference substance, usually water for liquids. So the SG of water is 1.00 A source I found shows the SG of vehicle gasoline is 0.739 Since water is about 8.3lbs/gallon (depending on temperature) we have gasoline weighing about 6.13 lbs/gallon.

Hope this clears things up.
      Adam Moyer
      '69 Cutlass "S"

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, volume is volume, whether it be gas, water or whipped cream, the volume is based solely on dimensions of the cotainer.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Quote Originally Posted by ammoyer View Post
      Volume and specific gravity (SG) are two independent properties. You can figure out your gallons of volume with the conversion factor of 231 ci per gallon.

SG is actually the ratio of the density of a substance to a reference substance, usually water for liquids. So the SG of water is 1.00 A source I found shows the SG of vehicle gasoline is 0.739 Since water is about 8.3lbs/gallon (depending on temperature) we have gasoline weighing about 6.13 lbs/gallon.

Hope this clears things up.
      duh, that makes sense, thanx !

a gallon of liquid is still a gallon, SG denotes what its density or weight is, has nothing to do with capacity.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

[QUOTE= whipped cream[/QUOTE]

The instant I read that, I thought about the old shaving cream commercials where the roller coaster shoots thru the huge pile of shaving cream!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Randy

Tru dat. 1 gallon of gasoline = same volume as 1 gallon of water. Just different weight due to different density.

Mmmmmmm....one gallon of whip cream sounds reallly delicious.

LOL...the question how much does a pound of lead weigh? The elusive obvious.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com