Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

is it safe to run nitrous with a dual plane intake

I was wondering how safe is it to run a 125 shot nitrous plate kit with my dual plane air gap intake I just dont want to have problems like leaning out a cylinder because the dual plane . the motor is a 454
      thanks Les

Country Flag: United States
      If you tune it right, dont for get your retard and colder plugs, oh and dont worry about running too rich, run it that way for safety. I usually tune 2 degrees retard for ever 50 hp minimum, and go at least 2 steps colder on plugs. Get a jewelers loupe t oinspect the plugs, if you see silver your detonating.
      I get my centrifugal all in as fast as possible without knock, this plus your base timing should give you max power off the juice then I would be conservative, start with lowest setting in kit but remember rich(on fuel) is safer to start.
      Say run like a 25-50 hp and read plugs and make sure it pulls good, pull at least 2 degrees timing out upon activation, get this going, then step to 75 hp, then 100, and so on.
      Depending on your compression I would say initial timing at idles in the 14 to 18 range, then depending on your heads try for a total in the 29 to 36 range. I would also ask , is this engine built with larger top ring gaps for NOS, forged pistons, good bolts.
      If its standard street engine keep it under 100hp shot and if you have controller (I would highly recommend one)leave off say a 25hp then progress after your over 3000 and in high gear. The engine needs a WOT switch so it wont hit unless its WOT.
      Good Luck.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

the motor is a 454 that supposably 30 over with hypereutectic pistons the bottom end Im not to sure about the top is stock steel 049 heads, I just installed a extreme energy 578 lift comp cam , I have msd ignition ,with a dual plane air gap intake oval port,with a 750 holley dp but im thinking about apgrading to a 850 cfm holley dp

I did it (a 100 shot)with no problems on a stock ZZ3 motor with hypereutectic pistons. I did retard the timing 2 degrees for the nights I planned to use N2O. A retard box makes sense rather than fiddle with the timing all the time if you plan to use it a lot. I wouldn't worry about the ring gap for that small a shot unless you are currently building the motor. Adding a few gallons of race gas as insurance is not a bad idea either, but probably not necessary unless it's a hot day.

Jim

Don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Half-Assed = Half-Fast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com