Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

ISIS Powercell Mounting Locations

Curious where those with the ISIS system have mounted the Powercell for the front portion of the vehicle. The instructions recommend placing it generically at the front of the vehicle, but I "think" I would prefer to keep the cell inside the vehicle. Has anyone had any experience (good, bad, or indifferent) for running the power through the firewall? As always, any feedback is appreciated.

~ Jason

I haven't started wiring my car yet, but I have my ISIS kit and I've been "conceptualizing" and starting to plan the installation. I'd love to discuss this with you and anyone starting their ISIS install.

My battery and Mastercell will be located in an electrical equipment cabinet located in the middle of the car, essentially where the back seat bottom cushion use to reside.

The rear Powercell will be mounted in the rear trunk area. However, I too am not sure as to where to mount my front Powercell. I would much prefer to mount it inside, under the dash somewhere, maybe in the glove box, to keep it totally protected from heat and the elements. However, I would love to take advantage of the ISIS system by having a (power wire and the CAN cable only ), going through the firewall instead of all the wires to each component in the front of the car.

One thing I've considered is a custom, vented box to house the Powercell up in the engine compartment. The box would be made out of either ABS plastic or aluminum, or a combination of both.

O.K., so that's as far as I've gotten so far. Any similar or different ideas going on in your head?

I haven't installed my system either but my theory is this...

Master cell under the dash on the PASSENGER side so its easier to get to without ducking under the steering wheel and dodging pedals.

InMotion for the windows and door locks will be in the center console.

I relocated the battery to the trunk under the package tray (passenger side) and I will have the rear power cell in the same area, just on the other (driver) side.

The front power cell will be all the way up front on the driver side, behind the headlights, in the empty space of the fender. I chose this side becasue my engine controll harness fuse block will be located on the passenger side but in the same area. I will build a plate that bolts the fender adn inner fender to mount these.

I wouldn't worry about the elements effecting them. They were built to withstand a beating except for maybe being too close to a turbo... You want to pick a place located closest to the items you are controlling. Headlights, turn signals, horn, fans etc for the front.
      Rich
      1969 Camaro (in hibernation)
      1972 K5 Blazer - LQ9, 4L80e, NP205, D60, AAM 14BFF => http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423432

I just put in my master and power cells the other day. I put the rear power cell in my trunk mounted vertically on the braces behind the back seat and mounted the front power cell and master cell behind my dash, i posted pictures on my build thread (see sig). Still have to run all the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 68 View Post
      I just put in my master and power cells the other day. I put the rear power cell in my trunk mounted vertically on the braces behind the back seat and mounted the front power cell and master cell behind my dash, i posted pictures on my build thread (see sig). Still have to run all the wires.
      None of the pictures in your build thread are coming up.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

I have a few Ideas about mounting the master cell in the trunk for easy access. along with a power cell under hood,uner dash and in trunk.

I will not start my build until they come out with IN Touch. This was one of the items that sold me on the kit and they still have not released it $1200.00 in a electrical kit and I do not have what I think is the most important part. Come on guys you need to finish this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
      None of the pictures in your build thread are coming up.

I apologize for that, in the pictures you can see the area behind the dash where I mounted the mastercell, front powercell as well as my LS2 engine computer. I know it looks like a drunk just slapped them on but I actually put each one in their respected locations for a reason. Now I have access to the fuses on the power cell if need be, and I can properly read the diagnostic screen on the mastercell since I mounted it upside down. For the rear powercell, you can see the bracket I used to mount it to those supports. I still need clean up that bracket, along with the plethora of wires, but this system rocks, it took me less than 3 hours to put everything in and run my CAN cable and all that’s left is just plugging stuff in.

I've worked a little on my electrical mock-up today. I've built a 1/4 thick aluminum plate for inside my cabinet. The flat area is 14"x17" and then it bends upward near vertical ( 115 degrees ) for 8"x17". My Mastercell will mount to the vertical section (ISIS recommends vertical preferred) and have a 6" hole cut out behind it for best air circulation. There will be a trickle charger mounted to this plate to keep the battery topped up when the car is just sitting. I'm sure I'll come up with other components that can be mounted to this plate as well. Maybe a multi-disc CD changer if I go that route. (they're outdated now because of Ipods, right?) Anyway, I've plenty of room on the plate to mount relays, car alarm module, etc.

Getting use to the idea of the front Powercell being in the engine compartment. I'll just have to come up with the mounting point and would really prefer to put it in some kind of vented box. Anyone know if the Powercells are preferred vertical mount?

I am still trying to "conceptualize" my preferred setup also. Since my car is in paint now only in my mind. I am toying with the idea of powercell up on the back of the rad support to deal with those front functions close by.Ideally I would like a power cell in the dash for power for gauges,console etc but don't want one more thing to add under the dash and only have 2 at the moment. Cuda, my concern with placing the mastercell anywhere other then the dash area is I think many if not most of the inputs will be coming from dash mounted items..switches, ecm outputs for fan control, etc. Glad you guys got some conversations started on this and chris is already going for it.
      David Beckstrom DVM

Denvervet,
      I think you're correct that most (if not all?) the inputs would be coming from the dash. I'm not sure if my MCell location will be bad for that or not.

My Cuda is a fastback with a roll bar and two struts going back to the top of the rear axle hump. It's all open back there, like a station wagon. LOL I have a tube going across from one upright to the other, about 10-11" up from the floor. This allows for a false, aluminum floor to go all the way to the back of the car. Right about where the back seat bottom was, there's a real nice hinged lid with latch. Down inside all that cavity will be my battery (pass. side) and the electrical component plate mounted to standoffs on the driver side. The plate bends 115 degrees vertical, and that's where my MCell will be, fairly centered in the car. When you open the cabinet lid, you'll be looking right at the MCell. The front of the cabinet will house my stereo bass speakers and a custom made console will go from under the dash, all the way back to the front of the cabinet. I'll run a lot of wiring through the console, including the inputs. I'll probably house my ECM somewhere in the console, toward as far back as the wiring harness will allow.

With all that said, are the inputs supposed to be kept pretty short? Maybe there's a "no longer than" number we're supposed to shoot for? I haven't read all the instructions, etc., but it seems I remember the inputs are actually 5V, outgoing from the MCell and contact is completed through "ground" back to the MCell. ?

Quote Originally Posted by GRNOVA View Post
      I will not start my build until they come out with IN Touch. This was one of the items that sold me on the kit and they still have not released it $1200.00 in a electrical kit and I do not have what I think is the most important part. Come on guys you need to finish this.
      Any word from the guys at ISIS on intouch? I'm a long ways from installing mine but would love to add intouch when it's finally ready?
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

I'm currently working on an ISIS install for PT board member JoeJaze. For mounting locations, I chose the trunk area for the fuses as well as the rear power cell and inmotion cell (still waiting on it).

The Mastercell and 3rd Power cell are both mounted on a custom glovebox insert made by board member "JoeeLutz". This glovebox fit the bill perfectly!

The front powercell is mounted against the firewall on engine compartment side. Its mounted where the blower motor was originally. Joe plans on putting inner wheel wells back into the car so I recommended a "trap door" that is dzus fastened into the wheel well. Sorry for the crappy pic, it was taken on my cellphone.

Quote Originally Posted by wellis77 View Post
      Any word from the guys at ISIS on intouch? I'm a long ways from installing mine but would love to add intouch when it's finally ready?
      Last word from Jay on April 15th was about a week for them to recieve the necessary harnesses, then they would start to ship...

Side Note: I also asked about express down/up to control the windows. My suggestion was a double tap of the window switch and he said it looks like they will be able to make it work.... but you will need to reprogram the master cell ... I'm glad I got the programmer on the first group buy....
      Rich
      1969 Camaro (in hibernation)
      1972 K5 Blazer - LQ9, 4L80e, NP205, D60, AAM 14BFF => http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423432

Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
      Last word from Jay on April 15th was about a week for them to receive the necessary harnesses, then they would start to ship...
      Exactly the info I was looking for!
      Then this is when I will use my discount code!

Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
      I'm glad I got the programmer on the first group buy....

AMEN!!!

Can't wait to get to this part of my project.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

I wanted to make a brief report on my recent experience with the ISIS folks on my project.

I got in on the first ISIS group buy and sprung for a 3 power cell setup - one for the engine bay, one for the cabin and one for the trunk area.

My plan is as follows: the engine bay Power Cell will directly power the turn signals, parking lights and side markers, headlight low beam, headlight high beam, horns and provide the ignition 12v power to the ECU. I'll install relays to provide power to the fans and the DSE wipers.

The cabin Power Cell will directly power the turn signal indicators, the high beam indicator, the radio, provide ignition only power to the gauges, provide always hot power to the courtesy lights and radio memory and provide accessory power to another set of relays for the power seats, power windows, AC and two auxiliary power outlets.

The rear Power Cell will directly trigger the starter solenoid, power the turn signals, parking light, side markers and license plate light, the brake lights, the backup lights and an accessory power relay to power the radio power amplifier.

All of this requires some reprogramming of the Master Cell and Power Cells. I'm extremely pleased to report that I sent an email to ISIS at about 9:30 California time last evening, and had the revised programming in hand by 2:00 in the afternoon today.

Mike Weber at ISIS was very helpful, caught an error in my plans and even sent me an Assembly Instruction Manual schematic confirming his advise. He answered all my emails very promptly. I couldn't be more pleased or impressed with the customer service.

Did you put your engine bay powercell on the firewall? How many of the outputs did you use up on that one? Is your ECU in the engine compartment? I am planning on putting my ecu (Accel gen 7 + wideband module) in glove box area and since at this point only have 2 power cells one in engine bay and one in back. Since paint done next week time to make a diagram and get mine on paper.
      David Beckstrom DVM

Quote Originally Posted by Denvervet View Post
      Did you put your engine bay powercell on the firewall? How many of the outputs did you use up on that one? Is your ECU in the engine compartment? I am planning on putting my ecu (Accel gen 7 + wideband module) in glove box area and since at this point only have 2 power cells one in engine bay and one in back. Since paint done next week time to make a diagram and get mine on paper.
      The car is still very much in the project stage. My plan is to put the Power Cell on the radiator support. I'm using seven outputs on the front Power Cell, after having ISIS reprogram input 1 on the Master Cell to the front Power Cell. I'm not sure yet where I'll put the ECU.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com