Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

1965/1966 mustang..wheels too big?

Anyone have a picture of a 65 or 66 mustang coupe with 20s tucked under the back ? Just wondering if it would look okay if it was low enough...?

I was going with 18x10s but I got a deal on these 20x10 boyd smoothies and thought I might try it with 18s up front...

I'm guessing you'll be mini-tubbing the back to fit the 10" wheels, I would say that the 20x10 could be okay if you tucked the wheel better in the back, maybe 2 or 3 inches lower in the back. What kind of suspension are you planning on running in the front/back? Are you planning any other body mods, side skirts flares etc?

yeah it's mini tubbed so the width isn't a problem.. once the car is put back together it should drop a couple of inches....

No other body mods planned

i have a mustang project also. im planning on going with 18s in the back

Country Flag: United States
      I think 20s are too big and there is a lack of performance in that size. A 17 is perfect.

That white 67 or 68' fastback that was a SMOY finalist had 24's? in the back...Stance is more important that wheel size IMO. You need to have them tucked! Mustang's are kinda close in size to Nova's, after deliberating for months I finally pulled the trigger for a 18/19 combo.
      1963 Nova SS

mini-tub

hi i have a 68 coupe trying to get a 19x10 on the rear do you have any pic's of the mini-tub work you did or if not can you kinda give me an idea of what you had to do thanks jeb conde

I think the 68 will fit a 275 on a 10" wheel without a minitub

depends on the car... it seems as though every car varies quite a bit.
      I haven't talken any pics of the mini tub, but I can tell you how to do it.. it's pretty straight forward.

You want to cut the inner wheel tub out by starting with a tape line along the seam of where the inner/outer wheel tub are welded together. The tape line will give you about an inch of lip left of the inner wheel housing to weld your new tub to for strength; from your cut along the tape line you want to go about 4" inward towards the inside of the car. You'll notice the biggest gains in the front and rear corners on the wheel wells as the factory ones are tapered. This will allow you to retain your factory interior panels. Based on my 295/35/18's I can still fit my interior panels and I may even go a bit more just to have some more room. I'll take some pics when I get a chance.

Hope this helps

Let me know if you have any questions

Tom

depends on the car... it seems as though every car varies quite a bit.
      I haven't talken any pics of the mini tub, but I can tell you how to do it.. it's pretty straight forward.

You want to cut the inner wheel tub out by starting with a tape line along the seam of where the inner/outer wheel tub are welded together. The tape line will give you about an inch of lip left of the inner wheel housing to weld your new tub to for strength; from your cut along the tape line you want to go about 4" inward towards the inside of the car. You'll notice the biggest gains in the front and rear corners on the wheel wells as the factory ones are tapered. This will allow you to retain your factory interior panels. Based on my 295/35/18's I can still fit my interior panels and I may even go a bit more just to have some more room. I'll take some pics when I get a chance.

Hope this helps

Let me know if you have any questions

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jconde View Post
      hi i have a 68 coupe trying to get a 19x10 on the rear do you have any pic's of the mini-tub work you did or if not can you kinda give me an idea of what you had to do thanks jeb conde
      I bought two new inner wheel wells... cut the old ones long..then moved them in towards the gas tank about two inches each side... then trimmed the edge of the rear frame rails and welded in support.

with a 68 you should have more room but I know on a 66 the springs are the first problem you run into.. I did a 3 inch spring relocation on mine.. next time I'll just do a four link though...

Check this out. 18's in front and 20's in back. Pretty sweet ride.

http://www.autoworksracing.com/AWRac.../101_0291.html

saw the car at their shop in August. It is a sweet look.
      68 Mustang Coupe
      392 Stroker
      TKO600
      on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
      Check this out. 18's in front and 20's in back. Pretty sweet ride.

http://www.autoworksracing.com/AWRac.../101_0291.html
      Thanks! Looks good.. not a fan of the whole look but the wheels work well.. Small tire...probably a 25 sidewall or something..

okay...so those are 20x8.5 on the back of that car with 255 35 20s... and 17s up front... If I go with a 285 30 20 on my 10s I will have about the same sidewall... also think 18s up front will look better than 17s with 20s.. But who knows I can't pull the trigger on the 20s yet...

I was just at a rim shop yesterday ordering my 18x8's (do you think i will have a problem with fitting them? and what size tires should i go with?) but i saw a 1967 mustang on 22" rims. I took pics so here it is:

Name:  IMAG0287.jpg
Views: 11996
Size:  115.4 KB
      Name:  IMAG0289.jpg
Views: 11096
Size:  112.3 KB

I just got my 18x8s on my car this weekend. The backspace of the rim is 4 1/2. The tires i went with are 225/40/R18.
      Name:  IMAG0303.jpg
Views: 43708
Size:  219.7 KB

why only a 225? Looks good. I think you could have gone much wider. 245 in the front and 265 in the back.

the shop was saying that wider than 225 would especially since i am goin to be lowering the car. in the rear, if i lower 2 inches the 225 is just right where i wont have my fender cutting into the tire

i will probably be burning up those rear pretty fast, and when i do maybe i will try 235 n see how that goes

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com