Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

From "Grace" to "Addiction"

Over 4 years ago I started with this car with the intention of doing some upgrades and keeping it somewhat stock looking - i have since learned that it is way too much fun to throw it around corners so now anything goes

Figured I'd start posting some of the upgrades as I work on improvements to my summer daily driver. I picked up Grace in Aug 08 -- This is proabaly the only time you'll see her on a trailer - I drove 7 1/2 hours away to pick her up.

She sat a bit high in the rear and the tires were a bit skinny and sunk into the wheel wells....

So she was lowered and BFG's were added....

As you can see both my son and daughter love the car and we go for ice cream all the time but my favorite part is when the kids say "hit the gas" (usually at the top of their lungs).

Plans are to drive the car as much as I can while upgrading a little bit of everything and getting the car to the mechanical condition I want then a winter's worth of body and paint most likely 3-4 years from now.
      Attached Images Attached Images          
      Don
      Grace - 67 Camaro daily driver with upgrades along the way.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Camaro-Driver

awesome!! i love taking my kids out in the 69. nothing like icecream and coke spilt in the backseat. msot people would freak out over it and i just laugh.
      Chris V
      SOLD

Looks good Don.

I like the name.
      Skip

Quote Originally Posted by compos mentis View Post
      Looks good Don.

I like the name.
      I left the name up to the kids -- my daughter's middle name is Grace and it fits - my goal is for the car to look like it could have rolled off the line in 67 but have the to kick some tail and handle the turns.
      Don

Made the trip back to NY from Ohio with a pick-up of goodies including the disc breaks, an engine hoist on loan (thanks bro), some misc engine parts and ......

wait for it.......

Grace's new power plant, a 350 4bolt .040 over (.030 wasn't clean enough), JE Forged Pistons and a stock 400 crank so with the new 72cc heads I should be around a nice street-able 9.6:1 compression

The plan is a top end kit from TrickFlow that is designed to produce 490hp and 440ft/lbs on a 383 - - between this and upgrading the 2.80 gear that is in the 12 bolt with a 4.10, I'm expecting she'll be a bit more fun around town.
      Don

OK - I know it's fluff but I was itching to do something to the car and I'm in the middle of a move to a new place with a 2 1/2 car garage so I can't take on anything to big until I'm in the new place. New LED lights went in....

Before they went in ...

My son hard at work... (once he knew how to undo the bolts he wouldn't let me help anymore)

Kit had a really clean install - It's designed to just bolt in and plug into the factory pig tails but I grabbed the heat gun and shrink tubes and hard wired it.

I liked this kit because it didn't have 1 million LEDs and still looks like it might have been factory until you hit the turn signal or breaks

Good news is I move into the new place this week and after unpacking I'll be able to pull the 12 bolt out. It's getting upgraded to a 4.10 posi (currently a 2.80) and disc breaks!
      Don

Look's good Don.
      Skip

Finally moved into the new place and unpacked (mostly) and it's time for some real work to be done....

Rear end is completely out of the car now

this is the crappy "custom" exhaust i had a local shop put in -it's on its way out - going to dump after the flomasters for now - you can also see where the rear end was leaking (soon to be fixed)

updates for the rear include a new set of richmond 4.10's an auburn posi diff, new energy poly and a disc break conversion
      I Love new parts

all apart and ready to be blasted and have the old traction bar bracket removed as well as a little paint before re-install

and final job of the day was a test fit of the rear breaks before a little paint -- i know it's not a big break conversion but i still like the looks of my 15" ralleys and for the mostly street and limited joy rides around a road course these will do

more to come.....
      Don

i like it!! looks good
      Chris V
      SOLD

fairly productive day off with decent weather to get a few more things ready - calipers received paint

after letting the rear housing soak in "peal away 6" to remove the undercoating I removed the old bracket for the factory traction bar

added some primer

and painted the pumpkin in cast - the ends will get black before final assembly

the next step is to get the old bushing out of the leafs so i can install the new poly -- i hit this %&#$@&!! with everything and tried several pulley puller combinations to get it out with no luck - asked one of my friends today at the dealership and he said we could just use a press or burn it out (i'll let him press them out)

with any luck i'll find some more time this week to get the axle tubes painted and the suspension items taken care of so next wednesday i can take my time and get the new gears set up - with any luck she'll be back on the road in a week. I can't wait -- going from 2.80 to a 4.10 should really help her out from light to light
      Don

Country Flag: United States
      looking good Don!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

looking real good! I really like the LED tail lights you installed
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Don, I too love the look of Rally wheels on these cars. If you ever decide you want to bump up in size on your wheels but still want the look of the Rally, there is a company called 'Wheel Vintques' that makes a 17" Billet Rally wheel. They leave the outer hoop polished and powdercoat the centers. It also excepts a stock center cap so you can continue to have the look of the original rally wheels but in a 17" size. FYI.

Nice project. You're actually doing it the right way (a little at a time here and there).
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

looks great and coming along nicely

The car is looking great. It is awesome that you are including the kids also. Great job, great memories made. Thanks for posting the pics.
      Sam
      Northern UT.
      '68 Camaro "Bodacious"
      '56 210 2dr "Buckshot"

thanks for the encouragement everyone

suggestions or thoughts..... before i put everything back in i'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading the KYB2 shocks that are currently in the car? i figure if i should this would be the time to do it.

not a lot of progress - mostly fighting with old car and new parts but i did get the rear ready for assembly - wednesday should be very productive with install of new gears, diff, breaks ect as i have all my little ducks in a row - hopefully they're not lined up in a shooting gallery

Don

Yipee!!!

The gears are in - The gears are in - it was a long day but I feel like I got something done!!

Started off the day undercoating the back 1/2 of the underside, it was already done once so i figue this was a good time for cleaning it up a little seeing how i was under there and had most of the stuff out of the way.

Did I mention the gears are in? - i'm excited for me if you can't tell 1) i finally have a garage big enough to work in and 2) she's finally getting the much needed upgrade from the 2.80's that were out back and 3)no more drum brakes!!

And if I do say so myself, I did a pretty good job for my 1st rear gear install ever - - great contact - - (according to the textbook)

and was able to get the axels and brakes done...

Only bummer is that I tossed the old cover bolts because i thought i had new ones in the install kit - i'll be ordering new ones tonight and hopefully have them friday so i can get this back in the car and go for a ride this weekend.

still not sure if i should change out the old shocks while i'm at it - - any thoughts???

or suggestions...

thanks
      don
      Don

Great job on that axle. Sweet car to enjoy with your kids. They'll never forget those moments... and that sir is the best.
      Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Dons67 View Post
      Yipee!!!

The gears are in - The gears are in - it was a long day but I feel like I got something done!!

Started off the day undercoating the back 1/2 of the underside, it was already done once so i figue this was a good time for cleaning it up a little seeing how i was under there and had most of the stuff out of the way.

Did I mention the gears are in? - i'm excited for me if you can't tell 1) i finally have a garage big enough to work in and 2) she's finally getting the much needed upgrade from the 2.80's that were out back and 3)no more drum brakes!!

And if I do say so myself, I did a pretty good job for my 1st rear gear install ever - - great contact - - (according to the textbook)

and was able to get the axels and brakes done...

Only bummer is that I tossed the old cover bolts because i thought i had new ones in the install kit - i'll be ordering new ones tonight and hopefully have them friday so i can get this back in the car and go for a ride this weekend.

still not sure if i should change out the old shocks while i'm at it - - any thoughts???

or suggestions...

thanks
      don

Great Camaro project going on..replace those old shocks..there are many great brands to choose from..I personally would go on to this for your 67 if you wanted a little more than just the replacement shocks...just a thought!

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pro...fm?prodID=1422

Then maybe down the road a little..

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pro...fm?prodID=1421

You first Gen guys have all the cool hop up parts out there..I wish I would have not sold my 67 Camaro..

Keep up the great updates!

-Jim

Car is coming along great! Can you tell me where you got that LED kit for the taillights? I'd love to see if they make them for my firebird.
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com