Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quiet performance exhaust?

Right now I have a 69 Camaro, 434 smc, full stainless 2.5" magnaflow exhaust with the single transverse muffler behind the rear end. I've also put dynamat in the interior. Wife says it's too loud. I'm installing a prodigy bar rear suspension and the transverse setup probably won't fit anyways. I'll probably modify my existing setup, but need to make it quieter, especially the "droaning" on the highway. Suggestions please.

Country Flag: United States
      im in the exact same boat as you. ive got 2.5 exhaust w/dr.gas xpipe and dual delta flow 40 series. i am going w/ magnaflow mufflers that have insulation in them. i have heard other cars w/this setup and there is no where near the drone as i have. i have 4boxes of dynamat, dynapad in my 69.

Go down to the local exhaust shop and ask for pair of resonators; they'll help alot

Flowmaster 40's are pretty much as loud as it gets
      1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

have you considered the dynapad sor something similar to go with the exhaust change? (like a closed-cell foam padding) Hushmat offers a similar product.

I dont' think any of the butyl/asphalt type of sound deadeners are made truly made to block air-borne noise, more for the vibratory road noise, aren't they?
      69 RS
      LS7, T56 and other cool stuff
      Back on track in late 2020!
      Build Thread

Foam doesn't really block much sound either. You need a mass loaded vinyl or other heavyweight decoupled barrier, properly installed without large gaps for sound to leak through. I second the resonator idea though, unless you're attached to the loudness of your exhaust they should do the trick.

-- Dan

Yes, I want the exhaust quieter. I'm not familiar with resonators, but will do some research. They are used in addition to mufflers, right?

Do you have an x or h-pipe connecting the exhaust behind the collectors?

I don't know if it helps with a single transverse muffler, but on my dual muffler setup, it helped a lot. It didn't really quiet the car down a bunch, but it really helped get rid of that low RPM drone.

Could be an inexpensive solution worth testing.
      Dan
      Chapel Hill, NC
      ***PM me if you're close by and can help with my 65 Mustang Fastback project***

i went with car chemistry inserts to help quiet mine. still use the mufflers, just add the resonators in the exhaust pipe. i'll find out next weekend just how much it helps.
      Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

wir müssen Leben bis wir Sterben...

Quote Originally Posted by carbondaddy View Post
      Yes, I want the exhaust quieter. I'm not familiar with resonators, but will do some research. They are used in addition to mufflers, right?
      Yes, they're usually added in front of the mufflers, general wisdom is that longer ones reduce the noise more.

-- Dan

Hand your wife a pair of ear plugs, if she refuses to use them then you use them to block her out......

Resonators are your best choice to knock down drone. Anything that reduces noise is going to be a restriction and a lost of performance will be a by product. The tailpipes go out the back or point down at the quarter panels?
      Stay in it till you see God....then lift

Where patience fails, force prevails

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat." G. Carlin

Stapp's Ironical Paradox...... "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Yes, I have an X pipe and tailpipes that dump ahead of the bumper. So, after some research, I'm thinking of resonators right after the collectors, then into the X, then back to mufflers ahead of the axle, then into the tailpipes. For mufflers, maybe flowmaster series 50, or ?. Does exhaust wrap reduce header noise?

Aren't those 50's too long for a first gen?
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

You may be right, as I haven't done any measuring yet.

From what I understand you want to get into your X pipe as soon as you have room for it. I would try to figure out the first available space for an X pipe, closest to the collectors is what I understand helps with sound best because the exhaust still has more volume coming off the collector. So that might mean your resonators should be after the X, but maybe there will be enough room to fit them between the collector and X. It depends on the size of the resonator I guess, and where you have room to fit the cross over.
      If you can find it cheaper, I can fix it!

Here is a interesting article about side by side muffler tests. to me it looks like the borla XS was king followed by magnaflow. I have the magnaflow on my chevelle and like them.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...est/index.html

try a 3-chamber flowmaster or dynomax super turbo mufflers. i've heard on this forum that the borlas are pretty quiet as well but flow.
      89 Supercharged Saleen 352 rwhp, 93 Mustang LX 347 stroker 420 rwhp daily driver, 78 Firebird, 69 Opel Kadett Rallye ex-SCCA track car..."everyone needs to own a 4-bbl 4 cylinder once"

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Aren't those 50's too long for a first gen?
      I have them on my 69, it IS tight, but doable. I had 40's on first and it was too much for me, and my neighbors I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by JChilders View Post
      Here is a interesting article about side by side muffler tests. to me it looks like the borla XS was king followed by magnaflow. I have the magnaflow on my chevelle and like them.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...est/index.html
      Interesting read, just shows that louder is not always more powerful. I haven't been able to find any dimensions for the Borla xs but that looks like the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by carbondaddy View Post
      I haven't been able to find any dimensions for the Borla xs
      Pro XS mufflers feature a 4" x 9.5" x 14" body.
      http://www.jegs.com/p/Borla/Borla-Pr...75466/10002/-1
      Nick

'67 Chevelle 350/th350..... soon to be all aluminum 5.3
      '73 Chevelle 4.8/th350

Thanx for the info!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com