Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by tonykim View Post
      i've heard on this forum that the borlas are pretty quiet as well but flow.
      I'm going to find out soon.

The Borla's are pretty compact. They are also very nicely made, they look better than a Magnaflow. I got mine from this place:
      http://www.wickednicky.com/borla_pro...et_center.html

I don't know how they sell them so cheap, because it is lower than my wholesale cost by a lot. So I took a shot, they shipped pretty fast and it was under $100 for a 3" muffler with shipping.
      If you can find it cheaper, I can fix it!

yeah no kidding. I couldnt' believe the price. this is what I'd like to do with a Dr. gas x pipe. I just need to find flow tubes and tail pipes for a 78 F body. i'm also considering pypes kit without mufflers and use the borlas. post sound clips if you can!
      89 Supercharged Saleen 352 rwhp, 93 Mustang LX 347 stroker 420 rwhp daily driver, 78 Firebird, 69 Opel Kadett Rallye ex-SCCA track car..."everyone needs to own a 4-bbl 4 cylinder once"

Country Flag: United States
      I run Borla stainless large case mufflers on the Pontiac and have zero drone. They are very quiet when just cruising and have a great note when WOT. The case measures around 18-20 inches. I used to run a transverse muffler on a Firebird years ago, and it was very loud, and droned really bad. All Flowmasters are too loud...period.

i took off my delta flow 40 series soundboxes and replaced w/magnaflows and made a big difference. still have a drone getting up to speed or accellerating but at cruise alot better, and at a stop sign it is tons quieter. i am running midlenth ls headers/2.5inch pipes, dr.gas xpipe and tailpipes that turn down behind the back wheels

I run the ProXS from Wicked Nicky, I love them. However, the only thing I dont like is the fact that Borla has a 2.5 inlet and outlet, and then just adapts them to 3 inch at the outside of the case.

However, I like them SOOOOO much better than my Flowmasters, and power everywhere (per the butt o meter) is noticeable. I use a 3 inch H pipe as a crossover as well and did with both mufflers

WOT they bark about the same as my Flowmaster 3 inch 3 chamber Deltaflows, but cruising around they are downright quiet.
      70 Mustang - 489 cid FE, KC ported Edelbrock heads, Modified Victor Intake, Mass-flo EFI, Erson valvetrain, Supercomps, TKO-600, 4.10 9 inch.
      71 F-100 4x4 SB 4x4, 461 cid FE stroker, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI
      13 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 6.7 diesel - trailer puller

I got so tired of the noise

so I threw the flowmaster 40's away!
      replace them with dyno max super turbo's. what a difference!
      feels quicker, and I can actually listen to the radio, and talk to my passenger, oh,, this is with 3in dual system. headers, cam.

I just switched from flowmaster 40's today and went with magnaflow 2.5'' with x pipe....there is a HELL of a difference in throttle response and sound...unbeleivable!
      colt zantop

1968 camaro LS1.......aka......."NJECTED"

this is awesome news! I have the delta flow 50 series flows and my boy is scared to go in my car from the noise. I am going to look into these other brands and hopefully quiet and quicken up my ride!

Most comparisons are from flows to magnaflow any more comparisons on the borlas or sound clips from either?

Kevin Freund

1961 Impala Drop Top

Just go to youtube.com and type in *Borla* in the search. There are several vids on differant kinds of Borla mufflers.

Thanks to this thread, I think I'm going with the Borla ProXS mufflers. Throaty, yet still quiet at idle and cruise but sounds like they really open up under WOT.
      Doug Gulley

66 C10 383, AFR 190, Accel SuperRam, Hyd Roller 230*/236* 280XFI, aftermarket T56, *under construction*

I'm in the same boat as well. I must be getting really old I just hate how loud my 68 FB Convt is, especially at idle. I have a RARE 2 1/2 kit with Texas TA mufflers. The whole system tucks up very nice. So it sound like the dyno max or the Borla Pro XS Muffler are the way to go. I will check out the Utube clips. What length of mufflers are you guys using that fits in the under seat area of the F-body?

One thing that is rarely mention is how the cam effects how loud the car will be. My cam is 110 deg overlap. I'm told that the 114 deg over lap is much quieter.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Compression ratio also plays a large factor in how loud the car is.

For length of muflers, check out this thread:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=620487
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Great info.

Sounds like the 14” 17784's may be in my future. I like the notched 20" muffler idea too but since I'm replacing mufflers on a X pipe system already I want to be careful in my selection. I didn't see a 16" 2.5 muffler listed.

It's really tough researching a better muffler choice. Sound clips don't really give you a good idea of how loud a car will be and given all the different engine combinations and how they affect the sound there are no guarantees.

It sounds like my only two choices are a Turbo style or a strait through style. I would conclude the strait through would yield the most power while the super turbo would be the most quiet. I have heard many say that the super turbo are more prone to blowing apart on a high hp car as well.

Watching some of the DynoMax YouTube clips I see that I could use resonators but I just don't think I have the room with the X cross over and the belly pan under the convertible. The pipes are already tight to the floor boards.

I was just looking at the DynoMax VT muffler. I know they were talked about on the Performance Years site. I guess I didn't realize those were a DynoMax muffler?

I was also listening to the Magnaflow mufflers on line and they sounded real nice but as I said its very difficult to base a decision off a sound clip.

I just want to make it as quit as I can with out sacrificing to much power.

UPDATE:

I bought a slightly used pair of # 17734 Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers from B-Man and had them installed today. I took the car for a 70 mile drive right after.

The car is much more tolerable now. I still have an aggressive tone but not nearly the volume. I can carry on a conversation much easier now and hear the engine better. I was surprised that the drone was not completely gone but considering this is a convertible I would expect it to be more susceptible to it. The only drone I get is while accelerating around the 2K RPM area and seems to go away when cruising.

For some reason the exhaust doesn't seem to smell as bad either. My guess would be less un-burnt gasses with the increased back pressure. Also and I may be wrong but I seems to be getting better gas milage.

Anyway I'm much happier with the Turbo style muffler then the strait through.

Glass packs can be used for resonators...

Yeah I also went from Flowmasters to DynoMax Super Turbo's.... I love them.
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

Here's a video of my car. 17749 Dynomax Super Turbos, Pipes 2-1/2 system. Pontiac 462 Ram Air 4 cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMDxogELKVs

Of course it doesn't get any better then a pair of Porter steel packs.. I'm planning my new exhaust system around these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKToK...eature=related

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com