Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need feedback - developing an online project planning tool for gearheads

Hey guys,

I'm working on developing a new online project planning tool to help manage, organize, document and budget our build projects. The idea was to get a little more organized and move away from the many note pad lists that I tend to come up. I thought it would be awesome that when planning/budgeting to have something that I can log into and manage each aspect of the build. Plus by having some what of a templated format it makes it easier to remember the little things that tend to add up quickly.

I'm a web developer so this was right up my ally. I came up with Dream Build Drive (http://dreambuilddrive.com) which is an online project planning tool for us gearheads. Right now its in the early beta stage so if you want to check it out, poke around, try to break it, that would be awesome. I'm looking for as much feedback/suggestions as I can to make it as thorough as possible.

Let me know your thoughts!

Also, feel free to PM or email me at [email protected] if you have questions/comments/feedback etc.

Thanks!
      Roger

first an most important feature without doubt is visualisation of expenses. It cannot show the real number. Security should include any way to stop wives and girlfriends accessing account, and if they do present a number that is half what has actually been spent.

In all seriousness kudos for the idea, I like it
      Chris Luxford

68 Camaro 632 BBC

61 Buick Lesabre - Daily Driver

06 Prius - Wife's a tree hugger !

Country Flag: United States
      Sooooo, this is pretty neat. I only spent a few minutes with it but I see it as a useful tool and I have planned a lot of projects.

I think there should be a section for outside labor. Stuff that most people job out, Chrome plating, powdercoating, dyno tuning, alignments, welding, etc

A quantity box would be cool as well as the ability to add more line items. For example fuel line fittings, most cars need more than 1 fitting and they are usually all different.

Projected cost vs actual is usually an eye opener for most, maybe two boxes to input numbers for each item.

In my mind, the coolest thing that could come out of this would be having a national average of project costs, assuming you could get enough people involved. Total build costs vs individual component costs would be very useful for people that have never been through this process before. From a shop standpoint this would be great for educating potential customers on what the actual numbers would look like.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I'll check it out too. It's hard to take customers through the basic costs (engine, subframe, wheels) and get to a final delivery cost (which we as builders may not even know).
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
      first an most important feature without doubt is visualisation of expenses. It cannot show the real number. Security should include any way to stop wives and girlfriends accessing account, and if they do present a number that is half what has actually been spent.

In all seriousness kudos for the idea, I like it

Haha, exactly! Thanks! Glad you are digging it!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Sooooo, this is pretty neat. I only spent a few minutes with it but I see it as a useful tool and I have planned a lot of projects.

I think there should be a section for outside labor. Stuff that most people job out, Chrome plating, powdercoating, dyno tuning, alignments, welding, etc

A quantity box would be cool as well as the ability to add more line items. For example fuel line fittings, most cars need more than 1 fitting and they are usually all different.

Projected cost vs actual is usually an eye opener for most, maybe two boxes to input numbers for each item.

In my mind, the coolest thing that could come out of this would be having a national average of project costs, assuming you could get enough people involved. Total build costs vs individual component costs would be very useful for people that have never been through this process before. From a shop standpoint this would be great for educating potential customers on what the actual numbers would look like.
      Thanks Donny! Its awesome to get insight from a shops standpoint.

Will definitely work on adding outside labor because that is a must and I really like the idea of having projected and actual costs!

Good call on a quantity and having the ability to add misc. lines.

I will definitely be picking your brain more if you don't mine. Really appreciate it!

That is a neat program. Well done. I'm gonna send a link to our project manager at DSE. I think it would be great for estimates.

I started a build on a side project I've been working on. I think it would be very cool if it had a printable function. I do two binders on every build. One for the customer and One for me to keep. A paint code location would be nice too.
      Eric Evans

Quote Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
      That is a neat program. Well done. I'm gonna send a link to our project manager at DSE. I think it would be great for estimates.

I started a build on a side project I've been working on. I think it would be very cool if it had a printable function. I do two binders on every build. One for the customer and One for me to keep. A paint code location would be nice too.
      Thanks Eric! Awesome, would love to hear what the project manager at DSE says.

Absolutely. Its definitely needs a section for paint and supplies. I was thinking about a print function too. I'll work on adding that.

I appreciate it!

Thanks,
      Roger
      1970 Pro Touring Chevelle
      454 BBC, RideTech Coilover Suspension, 19/20 Rushforth Rated-X Wheels, Wilwood 6P brakes. TKO600 install soon.

Check out my project planning tool for gearheads: DreamBuildDrive.com

nice, a calender that allows you to list task within each group and cross them out to char progress would be cool.
      Dale Hayes
      87 turbo t
      turbonetics t60, pet stock location intercooler, ride tech coilovers, rjc exhaust, 60lb injectors with tt chip, ported heads and intake, ported tb, baer brakes, roh 17 inch wheels....now need to finish paint and get it put back together.

Country Flag: Canada
      I like it! What about being able to attach a link to the part you are planning on? Eg. I am looking at a speedway engineering rear end

I didn't see a section called Paint Prison!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      I like it! What about being able to attach a link to the part you are planning on? Eg. I am looking at a speedway engineering rear end
      This is what I was thinking. Fields for specific portions of the build or general free form areas that someone can place a link and write themselves a little note.

I also think the ability to share/search similar projects for ideas would be fun. Like if someone is putting together a Chevelle being able to search for similar year/model/platform projects.

Very cool idea. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      New Jersey F-body Owners Association
      www.NJFBOA.org
      NJ's home for all owners, friends, and fans of Camaros and Firebirds

Quote Originally Posted by instro84 View Post
      nice, a calender that allows you to list task within each group and cross them out to char progress would be cool.
      Thanks! Yeah I'm liking that idea!
      454 BBC, RideTech Coilover Suspension, 19/20 Rushforth Rated-X Wheels, Wilwood 6P brakes. TKO600 install soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      Awesome! Yeah thats a good call. I'll add it to the list!

Quote Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
      This is what I was thinking. Fields for specific portions of the build or general free form areas that someone can place a link and write themselves a little note.

I also think the ability to share/search similar projects for ideas would be fun. Like if someone is putting together a Chevelle being able to search for similar year/model/platform projects.

Very cool idea. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
      Yeah a notes area for each of the sections would be awesome.

We can develop a project directory where you can checkout other builds for ideas. I just added today the ability to make progress updates so you can post photos/updates of the car as it comes together.

Thanks a bunch Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      I didn't see a section called Paint Prison!
      Haha! I'll be adding in a paint section for ya shortly!

Really cool idea, this definitely beats the excel spreadsheet I have going so far.

I don't know how feasible this would be (or more realistically how much time it would take), but it would be awesome to have a sort of database of existing product catalogs from major suppliers on big items like suspension so that when you go to rear suspensions for example you can pick from a list of common providers which would automatically populate the price info.

Need feedback - developing an online project planning tool for gearheads

Cool site... Let's see, feedback;

Needs a Ford on the home page! (Just kidding)

It would be cool to the able to snap a pic of your various parts / pieces to help keep track of the car, especially if you have a 'disassembly' section - perhaps with photos categorized by subsystem or assembly (steering, brakes, etc...). This may go beyond just 'planning' but becomes somewhat of an actual build tool during construction.

Also, it'd be cool to be able to save PDFs in a retrievable (even searchable) manner... I'm thinking receipts (for the invariable returns when something has to go back), wiring diagrams, installation instructions, etc... Most manufacturer's today have that documentation for download on their websites.

Neat idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ICrombie View Post
      Really cool idea, this definitely beats the excel spreadsheet I have going so far.

I don't know how feasible this would be (or more realistically how much time it would take), but it would be awesome to have a sort of database of existing product catalogs from major suppliers on big items like suspension so that when you go to rear suspensions for example you can pick from a list of common providers which would automatically populate the price info.

Awesome! So happy your digging it!

I like the idea of the integrated catalog. It wouldn't be too hard to create the list of manufacturers but it would be quite a bit to include each manufacturers offering. If there ends up being a good amount of people using this I would say many companies would probably be open to submitting that info though. It would be pretty damn cool thats for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Red67Mustang View Post
      Cool site... Let's see, feedback;

Needs a Ford on the home page! (Just kidding)

It would be cool to the able to snap a pic of your various parts / pieces to help keep track of the car, especially if you have a 'disassembly' section - perhaps with photos categorized by subsystem or assembly (steering, brakes, etc...). This may go beyond just 'planning' but becomes somewhat of an actual build tool during construction.

Also, it'd be cool to be able to save PDFs in a retrievable (even searchable) manner... I'm thinking receipts (for the invariable returns when something has to go back), wiring diagrams, installation instructions, etc... Most manufacturer's today have that documentation for download on their websites.

Neat idea.

Haha! I do plan to make the homepage image randomize so I'll get you a Ford on their soon!

Yea we could build a disassembly section that would allow you to upload pics of each section of the car. Really cool idea!

A document library is completely doable. In there you could attach your invoices, manuals etc. Yeah good call!

Thanks!!
      Roger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com