Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Gas cap

Gas cap

ANyone have pics or links to Larry's Camaro fuel filler cap. I can't seem to find anything searching the forum. Any help would appreciated.

Daniel Kuehn
      '71 C-Prepared Chevelle

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...hlight=gas+cap

here you go..
      i have an easier way do accomplish the same look and effect.. if you dont want to wait for larry's ,, but his is and will be the easiest way to go with the least amount of effort..
      but if you dont want to wait i can tell you what i have come up with..

Quote Originally Posted by vyking67
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...hlight=gas+cap

here you go..
      i have an easier way do accomplish the same look and effect.. if you dont want to wait for larry's ,, but his is and will be the easiest way to go with the least amount of effort..
      I've got tired of waiting (over a year now)??!! I don't think that Larry's cap will ever become available to purchase, so could you PM me your ideas for a working gas cap.

Thank you
      Mark E.
      '68 RS/SS Camaro, 350 c.i./400 hp, Thumper Cam, Hurst shifter, Muncie M-21, Pypes H-pipe w/violator mufflers, 18" Rushforth Battery Wheels

Country Flag: United States
      Do tell.....

Well, truth be told I have to wrap this up soon to help fund MotiV8r. It's been WAY too long.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

truth be told you have missed out on thousands in the wait.
      Chris V
      SOLD

I agree and it will all come together soon.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

basically this is what i did... i took a stock gas cap from a 1998 suzuki gsxr the gas cap and retainer ring is one pieced and hinged... this as is will be to larger to fit into the stock recess of the tail panel.. so what i did was take a dremel tool and take the very outer lip off the outermost part...the piece has screw holes all the way around just like a sparco unit.. you need to take it down to those.. then this piece will fit flush to the tail panel in the recess.. the mounting holes will have to be inlarged and i think i added a new one or two but it does sit flush....

best part is that you could use your stock fuel filler neck and the locking feature on the gsxr cap will work but it will not be the greatest seal... ( i did have fuel slosh out when i accelerated ) ... there is two way to fix this... you can double up on the gasket that seal the cap.. i did this and it worked fine.. but cap is really tight and sometimes hard to close... or what i am in the process of doing now is...
      get a gas tank from same year bike.. or just but one with the filler and cut out the inner part where it sits in the bike gas take.. ( no welding needed ) and sandwich that between then filler/cap and your tail panel.. you will then have to modify the filler tube to mate to the assembly...
      is was easy to do and take about half day from start to finish ... best part is that you can always return to the stock look and fuel filler assembly if need be.. ----

--again this gave the look.... and functioned... but larry's setup will be the easiest and least amount of effort -----

basically this is what i did... i took a stock gas cap from a 1998 suzuki gsxr the gas cap and retainer ring is one pieced and hinged... this as is will be to larger to fit into the stock recess of the tail panel.. so what i did was take a dremel tool and take the very outer lip off the outermost part...the piece has screw holes all the way around just like a sparco unit.. you need to take it down to those.. then this piece will fit flush to the tail panel in the recess.. the mounting holes will have to be inlarged and i think i added a new one or two but it does sit flush....

best part is that you could use your stock fuel filler neck and the locking feature on the gsxr cap will work but it will not be the greatest seal... ( i did have fuel slosh out when i accelerated ) ... there is two way to fix this... you can double up on the gasket that seal the cap.. i did this and it worked fine.. but cap is really tight and sometimes hard to close... or what i am in the process of doing now is...
      get a gas tank from same year bike.. or just but one with the filler and cut out the inner part where it sits in the bike gas take.. ( no welding needed ) and sandwich that between then filler/cap and your tail panel.. you will then have to modify the filler tube to mate to the assembly...
      is was easy to do and take about half day from start to finish ... best part is that you can always return to the stock look and fuel filler assembly if need be.. ----

--again this gave the look.... and functioned... but larry's setup will be the easiest and least amount of effort -----
      Thanks for the explanation. Do you have any pictures of your cap that you can post? I am interested to see how it looks on the car!
      Mark E.
      '68 RS/SS Camaro, 350 c.i./400 hp, Thumper Cam, Hurst shifter, Muncie M-21, Pypes H-pipe w/violator mufflers, 18" Rushforth Battery Wheels

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Mark, remember what kind of cap they used on the car in your avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by neki67
      Mark, remember what kind of cap they used on the car in your avatar?
      No, I don't even remember seeing a pic showing it! Do you have a shot of the back end of the car showing the gas cap in question? If so, please send me a copy of it.

Thanks
      Mark E.

Country Flag: Netherlands
      It isn't very clear, but here you go:
      http://images.chevyhiperformance.com...enger_Side.jpg

That car is called Orange Peel and was built by Troy Trepanier for Ty Woodhall. There is an extract from the original article on the web: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/fe...aro/index.html

The original CHP text also mentioned the gas cap being borrowed from a Harley Davidson. So, go to ebay and search for gas caps under HD parts and see what comes up.

mark68,

mark68

i dont have any pictures of it on the car... i did not think about it when i first did it ... and right now it is off the car... but the pic of the orange camaro in the link is exactly how it looks on the car with the exception that my cap is grey and the trim ring it silver..

Gas Cap

Here's a link to the setup I used. It came out pretty good. Now if I could just finish the rest of the car. Can't believe it's been 2 years since that post.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=22746

that is a very nice clean install .. my first attempt was a easy way out.. i did not want to cut into the tail panel..... but that does solve the problem of it seating properly.. and not having to mickey mouse the gaskets... again very nice clean job...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com