Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Morris Seat Belts: Invest in your Safety

First of all, let me begin by saying that I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with Morris seat belts, and they do not pay me anything.

One month ago to this date I was involved in a very serious collision in my beloved 1968 Camaro which resulted in a total loss.

If you would like to read more about the collision, it can be found here, about halfway down the page, it is a long post:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...t=57999&page=2

Anyways, I would just like to tell everyone here in the pro-touring and muscle car community that you NEED to invest in your safety, for your own sake and for the sake of your loved ones. Do not skimp on a set of GOOD seat belts because you want to save $50, because that can be the difference between life and death, literally. Before you think of buying that brand new carburetor or those shiny beautiful headers, invest in your life.

When I first installed Morris seat belts in my car two years ago, I never thought I would end up fighting for my life because of my car. Yes they are pricey, and yes they may be a bit sensitive when you pull them to buckle up, but they are QUALITY. Should price even matter when your life is in question?

These seatbelts withstood the force of colliding with a concrete wall at 80mph, and saved both mine and my passenger's life.

Upon impact, their sensitive lock mechanisms instantly held the belts in place, rather than slipping like some cheaper, or less sensitive, belts. My passenger withstood zero injuries to the face, head, neck, or core, in fact he walked away from the accident; these belts held him tight and kept him well away from the dash or the side window.

As far as me, well those sensitive lock mechanisms saved me from a major face and head trauma. The hood entered the car through the windshield and broke my nose in multiple places and also left a hairline fracture under my right eye. Had those seat-belts stopped me a millisecond later, aka an inch closer to the front of the car, the hood would have impaled my skull and destroyed my eye leaving me brain-dead and/or blind. But they didn't, they instantly locked and kept my head far back from the dash, turning the hood hitting me into just a flesh-wound.

Here's some pictures...you want to survive a collision in one of these rockets? Then getting a QUALITY set of belts such as the ones I used from Morris Classic/Customs is a must, trust me I would know:

Country Flag: United States
      That's a nasty looking crash! Thank God the two of you made it out safely.. A good set of belts are priceless.

Wow...so glad you survived that crash. The car is replaceable..you're not.

Also glad to see that the belts did their job. Very glad that I installed a set in my car last year. I initially only got them because my daughter frequently rides with me...after seeing your pictures, I'm glad I have them for me too.

Some things just aren't worth cheaping out on...and sometimes, keeping the vintage look just isn't worth it either.
      Dan
      Chapel Hill, NC
      ***PM me if you're close by and can help with my 65 Mustang Fastback project***

I have them in my Nova. Fortunately, I've never had to functional test them. I have had them save mine and my family's life in a 1984 Subaru.

It is really good to hear everyone is ok.

i know i keep harping on it, but another thing to consider is the steering column. DO NOT replace it with a retrofit column from any of the aftermarket companies unless it is collapsible. and DO NOT replace the collapsible under dash mount with a solid one for looks. and just having a collapsible intermediate shaft does NOT count!

currently ididit is going back through all of their part numbers and replacing them with collapsible units. all cars built jan 1, 68 came from the factory with one.

your 3 pt belts saved your life. you would be dead with just lap belts. but, id still hate to hear of someone getting killed over a cool looking column.
      Tim

The WidowMaker: Garage Built 70 Chevelle

Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels, MuscleRodz, Kore3 & SC&C

Build Thread Link

3 cheers for Billy's belts!

Quote Originally Posted by The WidowMaker View Post
      i know i keep harping on it, but another thing to consider is the steering column. DO NOT replace it with a retrofit column from any of the aftermarket companies unless it is collapsible. .
      Indeed.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

We put them in our 68 Camaro, one of the first things we did to it.
      Thanks for posting this thread, and glad you survived that nasty crash!

Anyone like staying in Hospitals? Think about what you can do to stay out of one, or shorten your stay.
      David
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Wife just got me a set for the Nova for Christmas. Glad you survived. That was a nasty accident!
      Dave Smeal
      1972 NovaPwr

WOW! That looks horrific. Great testimonial for the seat belts. no doubt they saved you.

I just read the accident report in your other post, if I am reading correctly, it sounds like a testimonial about the dangers of screwing around on the street may be in order also.

I am as guilty, probably more guilty then most as our test drives could be construed by some as "too spirited" for the street. Things like this are good reminders for us testosterone laced males!

Great post - thanks for reminding us of what's important

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      WOW! That looks horrific. Great testimonial for the seat belts. no doubt they saved you.

I just read the accident report in your other post, if I am reading correctly, it sounds like a testimonial about the dangers of screwing around on the street may be in order also.

I am as guilty, probably more guilty then most as our test drives could be construed by some as "too spirited" for the street. Things like this are good reminders for us testosterone laced males!
      Sorry to bring this thread back to life again but it has been quite a while since I've been able to get back on the board...

You're absolutely right, after going through all this it kills me to see teenagers playing with their lives....especially in the tight and treacherous canyons that we have here in Southern California.

And I'm not even saying that us car fanatics are bad drivers, in fact most of us are some of the best out there...controlling vehicles with no computer assist and PLENTY of power. But...there are others on the public streets. They may not be the best drivers and may make errors that cause US to collide, especially when on-coming traffic is the case. Furthermore, by being so liberal with our engines we pose a safety risk to those who are simply trying to get to-and-fro work. Now I'm not saying that we should drive with a stick-up-our-ass (no offense to anyone, just a joke ), but there is a time and place for everything, whether it be a straight stretch of road in the middle of the night with no innocent bystanders or a full-on race track. We must always remember that. At the end of the day, we don't want lawyers taking away our beloved hobby because of new B.S. safety laws...and I am no less guilty than anyone else.

I have corrected my ways and will no longer be a negative influence on the sport, rather the opposite. This accident has taught me to always check myself before letting my right foot think for me, and think twice before doing something stupid behind the controls of what is literally a 3000lbs missile on wheels. I suggest everyone take note of what happened to me, and learn from my stupid mistake...maybe the reason I survived is to tell this tale...who knows?

Cheers everyone, and happy pro-touring
      Who is wise? One who learns from every man... Who is strong? One who overpowers his inclinations... Who is rich? One who is satisfied with his lot... Who is honorable? One who honors his fellows" - Ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, 4:1

In 1976 I had an altercation with a Phone pole while attempting to avoid making a Vega Driver the Hood ornament for my 1969 Ford Galaxie XL. The Pole Lost, The Car Lost, and because my car was not equipped with shoulder belts, only Lap belts, I'm sure you can see where this is going. A hard Steering wheel with a Steel ring inside which broke off with the impact of my face. It broke the wheel off of the column, so I am sure you can surmise what it did to soft tissue, bone, and teeth. I still have problems from this every day that I have come to accept as my every day. When I bought my 1967 Camaro with Deluxe seat Belts, the first thing I did was to track down a set of factory Deluxe Shoulder belts. I wish these would have been available then.
      Real Camaro's have Vent Windows!
      [CENTER]
      [U]AlphaDamp http://www.alphadamp.com"]CLD Mat[/URL]

If you have a set of Morris belts in your car, please take a little time to show them to others when possible. It might save a life!
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Group buy anyone?
      1969 Firebird
      Champagne taste and a Kool-aid budget...

I'd be down. I drive my nova every day in Los Angeles and I have images of the above accident pass through my head more often than not.

I'd get in on that too, been thinking about buying them for a while now.
      Tom Koontz

So thats 3 any more?
      1969 Firebird
      Champagne taste and a Kool-aid budget...

i AM IN
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

I'm in, if the group buy is still going on. Been thinking about getting a set for my 67.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com