Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

65 mustang (k-model)

I though I would share my other project. My dad ordered the car in May of 1964 and got it in October he has owned it since. He raced it back in the day at the strip and at some SCCA events. We are now really getting this set up for drag racing. i know not quite what this forum is used to seeing, but its a really nice car and thought I should share.

The motor (spare motor)is my original block and rotating assembly out of my falcon, only 50K original miles. We took the motor apart and cleaned it all up and reassemble with some other good parts. The race motor is on the stand a 319 cubic inch SBF 13:1 compression and 0.600" lift cam. We are running the spare motor to test everything out.

The car has no new holes drilled in it, this was to maintain the K-model value. The rear suspension is leaf springs with slapper bars. It has a moser aluminum center section with a 4.86 spool and 31 spline axles. The 265 DOT slicks fit very nicely in the back. The rear wheels are 8.5" centerline autodrags. The street wheels/tires are 14 american mags real magnesium wheels 14" x 7" with 245 tires on all four corners.

The front suspension is my current build/design effort. It will have a bolt in coilover system using stock control arms. Afco T2s with 225 springs will be purpose built for drag racing but the design will be compatible with cornering. It also has the TCP rack. This was the only way to clear the 1.75" headers. It has subframe connectors with a custom bolt in drive shaft loop.

More build info to come. Here are some pics.

The first picture is of my dad and I and our cars.

Bryce nice mustang it sounds like a fun project

nice project
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Sweet looking Cars.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

This has been my project this week. I designed and fabbed a Bolt in coilover system. Yes i designed it for drag but a different spring selection could make the car very capabable in the corners as well.
      here are some pics.

a few more pics of the car

Yes that is a carbon fiber hood.

sweet. your MechEng skills are paying off tremendously.
      EngineeRunner - Vintage Ford - '66FBGT + '68F250CC4x4

Nice! I'm diggin' both of those rides!
      Ron B - 1966 Ford Cortina work in progress. 5,0HO, T-5, 8inch with 3.00s, Megasquirt ECU, rollin'on 52 inches!

Awesome!

That is one super clean interior!!!

Got more info on the hood or is it a one-off custom?

ok so what's a K model? Car looks great.

Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

K code was a HiPo 289, 271 horse. Same motor Shelby used in the GT350's. Could be special ordered in any mustang.

Rick C.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541371/4

Used to be known as PonyCar'68

Quote Originally Posted by hivewax View Post
      sweet. your MechEng skills are paying off tremendously.

Yes it has. I work for an aerospace company and I have an awesome job, but my creativity still needs an outlet. So for the last year I have spent most of my free time studying, learning, pondering, designing and fabricating suspension systems. While aplying everything I learned in college to make it light and strong. I have built a few spring rate calculators and front suspension load calculator as well.

Quote Originally Posted by windsor View Post
      Awesome!

That is one super clean interior!!!

Got more info on the hood or is it a one-off custom?
      I have a guy here in san diego that built it for me. It was built using the year one mold from a few years back.

The dash is the center was designed to only use factory bolt holes. that is why you dont see any external fasteners.

Quote Originally Posted by pimtina View Post
      Nice! I'm diggin' both of those rides!
      thanks man, your car is going to be really cool. hurry up and start building it!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyCar'68 View Post
      K code was a HiPo 289, 271 horse. Same motor Shelby used in the GT350's. Could be special ordered in any mustang.

Correct, also this car was order with heater and radio delete. This dropped a few pounds off the car and was beneficial as it raced in a stock class that did not allow removal of items unless it was factory.

The heater delete cost something like an extra $30. I will have to look at the original bill of sale to verify.

Country Flag: Australia
      Very nice....I like the design of that hood with the T-bolt bulge..nice!
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

It was the only hood that would clear the carb and filter, well except for a 6" cowl and that would look a little silly.

Please don't get me wrong, it all looks nice and it will work. I like to do my own work too. I'm not a mechanical engineer but is the weight of the car being held up by the spring perch mounting bolts? I see flaw in this, if the nuts let go or the bolts snap the coilover will drop onto the upper control arm. These bolts are now load bearing. The original design from Ford has the perch placed on top of the control arm. Granted both designs, yours and Fords, the load is still being carried by the upper control arm mounting bolts. BUT, in your design I believe the weakest link will be those perch mounting bolts.

I see the plus side of this mod, adjustable shocks, but these could have been incorporated into the stock setup and been just as effective. Another plus, adjustable ride height with the coilovers, but how often do we adjust ride height once it's set?

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any handling improvements over an upgraded stock setup, heavier springs and Koni shocks with roller perches. My 2 cents.

i see all your points. For my design i did not do the shelby drop, becauase it was not neccessary for the use of the car. The stock mustang with shelby drop handles very well.

Yes the fasteners are load bearing, but the specs of the fasteners are 20 times the ultimate load they will see. So i am not worried about failure in the fasteners.

Other advantages are the weight reduction using this design. I will have weights tonight. I will be adjusting ride height frequently as this car will be drag and street. Also a tuning element in drag racing is the front ride height.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com