Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by tommycomfort View Post
      Heck yeah we'll be at RTTH's. Hopefully we can have the wagon and the 66 there. You'll be there right?
      Oh yeah can't miss it!! I will bring the 68 back as the 69 has a long way to go. Overtime at work has been cutting into my car building time, but at least I am still have a job!

Michael Tucker
      Project "Trouble" 1969 Camaro DSE subframe, quadrilink, 13" wilwood brakes, Rated X Rushforths, LS2/T56
      1968 Camaro

Just got it back from the glass shop last Sunday. It was only going to be there a few days to install the front and rear glass that I already had, but the rear opening was a little odd, so they had to make a new piece of glass and have it sent away to be tempered. So, almost a month later it is back in my possession... Time to really get down to business.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

It's lookin' good Tom!

Motor State Challenge and RTTH are just around the corner!
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

looks great!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Ok, there's been a lot going on with the 66 lately!

First, I was not at all happy with the way my modified original crossmember was working out, so I ordered the summit racing universal kit and welded/fabbed up something better. I ended up having to have a guy down the road finish welding it since some of it is 1/2" steel and my 110 mig just wouldn't cut it. I just shot a quick coat of semi-gloss paint on it to get it back together and will take it off and have it powder-coated next winter.

Next project was exhaust. I really debated many options from a really nice stainless kit, to oval aluminized stuff, but ended up ordering the flowmaster 64-72 2.5" aluminized kit without mufflers. I did that so I could get a quieter muffler that might be more tolerable on long road trips. That ended up being Flowmaster Delta 50's. Believe me, it still screams when I get into it! I didn't want to clamp the kit together, but I also wanted to be able to take it apart (mostly to remove my crossmember for powder-coating). So, I fabbed up these flanges to go between the mufflers and tailpipes. They don't look like much, but I have a few hours of labor in building them and they seem to work well so far. The only thing we couldn't do was bend pipe to connect our shorty headers to the rest of the exhaust system. Took it to the local muffler shop and they were thrilled to work on it. So, once it came off the lift, I was able to start it and take it for it's first drive (only around the parking lot) since we bought it in 2002!!!

Somewhere along the line while all this was being done, we finished up the wiring and thankfully my wife is pretty good at toubleshooting and sorted out the few mistakes we (I) made and now everything seems to work correctly.

So, now it has been driven a few times, aligned, all the fluids changed and is ready to be really driven. I have a buddy coming over this week to see if we can fine tune the motor, but it seems to be running very well (thank goodness for my dumb luck!).

The interior still needs finishing, but right now it has the front seats installed and the rest will come soon. Next weekend we're taking it to the Midwest Muscle Car Challenge (www.midwestmusclecarchallenge.com) and will thrash it on the road course, auto-cross and speed/stop challenge along with the 99 mile cruise. Hopefully I don't grenade it before CB10 and a few other events, but if I do, it will just be another project with a deadline...

More to follow soon!

Hey Tom, it looks like everything is coming together nicely! I can't wait to see this thing in person!
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Ok, there's been a lot going on with the 66 lately!

First, I was not at all happy with the way my modified original crossmember was working out, so I ordered the summit racing universal kit and welded/fabbed up something better. I ended up having to have a guy down the road finish welding it since some of it is 1/2" steel and my 110 mig just wouldn't cut it. I just shot a quick coat of semi-gloss paint on it to get it back together and will take it off and have it powder-coated next winter.

Next project was exhaust. I really debated many options from a really nice stainless kit, to oval aluminized stuff, but ended up ordering the flowmaster 64-72 2.5" aluminized kit without mufflers. I did that so I could get a quieter muffler that might be more tolerable on long road trips. That ended up being Flowmaster Delta 50's. Believe me, it still screams when I get into it! I didn't want to clamp the kit together, but I also wanted to be able to take it apart (mostly to remove my crossmember for powder-coating). So, I fabbed up these flanges to go between the mufflers and tailpipes. They don't look like much, but I have a few hours of labor in building them and they seem to work well so far. The only thing we couldn't do was bend pipe to connect our shorty headers to the rest of the exhaust system. Took it to the local muffler shop and they were thrilled to work on it. So, once it came off the lift, I was able to start it and take it for it's first drive (only around the parking lot) since we bought it in 2002!!!

Somewhere along the line while all this was being done, we finished up the wiring and thankfully my wife is pretty good at toubleshooting and sorted out the few mistakes we (I) made and now everything seems to work correctly.

So, now it has been driven a few times, aligned, all the fluids changed and is ready to be really driven. I have a buddy coming over this week to see if we can fine tune the motor, but it seems to be running very well (thank goodness for my dumb luck!).

The interior still needs finishing, but right now it has the front seats installed and the rest will come soon. Next weekend we're taking it to the Midwest Muscle Car Challenge (www.midwestmusclecarchallenge.com) and will thrash it on the road course, auto-cross and speed/stop challenge along with the 99 mile cruise. Hopefully I don't grenade it before CB10 and a few other events, but if I do, it will just be another project with a deadline...

More to follow soon!
      Looking real good Tommy. And a wife that can troubleshoot wiring! Debbie is a special Lady and you a lucky man. Look forward to seeing the car and you guys at Michigan. Mike

Thanks Herb and Mike! I'm overall really happy with how it's coming out, but don't get your hopes up for seeing it in person. It's just a home built that tries to be a little show car, cruiser and racer (hopefully in opposite that order). It will never be great at any of them, but should be fun. We are over the top excited to run it this coming weekend at MMC and dial some things in.

Mike, you're right, Deb is a keeper, but I was thinking how lucky she was to have a car guy like me!

Country Flag: Iceland

Congratulations! Get that sucker on the road.

Love the color and that back panel (among other things).
      MarkK

Looks Awesome Tom! Congrats!

Thanks Herb and Mike! I'm overall really happy with how it's coming out, but don't get your hopes up for seeing it in person. It's just a home built that tries to be a little show car, cruiser and racer (hopefully in opposite that order). It will never be great at any of them, but should be fun. We are over the top excited to run it this coming weekend at MMC and dial some things in.

Mike, you're right, Deb is a keeper, but I was thinking how lucky she was to have a car guy like me!
      Tommy, I am way more impressed with a build like your's than all the highend mega buck builds on the planet. You guys are keeping it real. And you and the family will get way more enjoyment out of your build than any of the HMBB could possible give. The picture of the beginning of the Chevelle with your family says it all. Sam has grownup with this project. And the memorys past and future will prove to be priceless. Have fun.
      Mike

Engine problems!

Well, the Muscle Car Challenge was an absolute blast!!! But, here's how the weekend went:
      Much to my disgust our Zirgo electric cooling fan crapped out Friday night on our way from our garage/shop to our house in Mooresville. Sam and I hauled it out to Putnam park on the trailer and Deb scoured the Indy area for a reverse pitch mechanical fan. She did finally find one, but the longest spacer they had was 1.75" and we really needed an unsafe 3" to clear the accessories on the front runner system. So, I talked to a handful of people and they believed we'd stay cool on the road course so we tried it. They were right, 195* without a problem. The car handled great and was a blast to drive. I drove it in four of the six sessions. Two with instructors, one with Deb and one with Sam.
      Sunday started with our group doing the speed/stop challenge first. Sam and I made two runs and developed a knock on the second pass. We really hoped it was something easy like a rocker arm nut working its way loose, but after getting some experts (much more so than me) to take a listen we determined it was much deeper. So the rest of the day we spent riding with a few different people on the auto-x.

So, about the motor... Deb and I worked Memorial day, but first thing Tuesday morning we started pulling the motor. By the end of the day it was out, but not disassembled. This morning we finished taking it apart down to the short block and it looks like the #2 rod bearing is suspect. Around noon we took it to our favorite machine shop and he agreed. He is going to take it down clean and hone the block, turn the crank and reassemble with new rings and bearings. We also talked about the pathetic tiny port oval port truck heads I have and he is going to put together a set of larger oval port heads for us using all new parts except my valve springs which he will reuse. All that said, he is going to try to have it done by Tuesday of next week. Bottom line, we are trying to get it done in order to take it to Chevellabration on 10 June. God help us! We'll have to trailer it some and won't be able to beat it up on the auto-x, but will also take the wagon to thrash.

I'll update as time allows...

Well, the Muscle Car Challenge was an absolute blast!!! But, here's how the weekend went:
      Much to my disgust our Zirgo electric cooling fan crapped out Friday night on our way from our garage/shop to our house in Mooresville. Sam and I hauled it out to Putnam park on the trailer and Deb scoured the Indy area for a reverse pitch mechanical fan. She did finally find one, but the longest spacer they had was 1.75" and we really needed an unsafe 3" to clear the accessories on the front runner system. So, I talked to a handful of people and they believed we'd stay cool on the road course so we tried it. They were right, 195* without a problem. The car handled great and was a blast to drive. I drove it in four of the six sessions. Two with instructors, one with Deb and one with Sam.
      Sunday started with our group doing the speed/stop challenge first. Sam and I made two runs and developed a knock on the second pass. We really hoped it was something easy like a rocker arm nut working its way loose, but after getting some experts (much more so than me) to take a listen we determined it was much deeper. So the rest of the day we spent riding with a few different people on the auto-x.

So, about the motor... Deb and I worked Memorial day, but first thing Tuesday morning we started pulling the motor. By the end of the day it was out, but not disassembled. This morning we finished taking it apart down to the short block and it looks like the #2 rod bearing is suspect. Around noon we took it to our favorite machine shop and he agreed. He is going to take it down clean and hone the block, turn the crank and reassemble with new rings and bearings. We also talked about the pathetic tiny port oval port truck heads I have and he is going to put together a set of larger oval port heads for us using all new parts except my valve springs which he will reuse. All that said, he is going to try to have it done by Tuesday of next week. Bottom line, we are trying to get it done in order to take it to Chevellabration on 10 June. God help us! We'll have to trailer it some and won't be able to beat it up on the auto-x, but will also take the wagon to thrash.

I'll update as time allows...
      You did not mention but I would suggest at least adding new rod bolts and having the rods re-sized. If #2 has an issue and not fixed it will happen again.

, but after getting some experts (much more so than me) to take a listen we determined it was much deeper.

Tom, i just want to say that you and your son have built one hell of a nice car. Im glad to see young kid out in the shop with there dad. Most kids these days want to stay inside and play that x box thing.

Sucks about the motor, but i have faith in you that you will have it done and out on the track at motorstate. (wish i could see it there)

Beautiful car! Love the build. I have a '67 that hopefully someday will be as nice as yours! Great stuff.

I have 3-4 sets of 781 heads if you want them. Just let me know !

Tom

It was great meeting you and your family at the MMCC. I am totally impressed on how you have taken this all in stride and are thrashing on the Chevelle for the upcoming weekends.
      The 781 heads that are being offered are the best oval ports Chevy made. If this is not what you are using, I would take Lance-W up on his offer. The781s are the ones Lingenfelter was using back in the 80s and made big power. He proved that this was the ticket on engines below 6,000 rpms. I had a set of these on my old '70 Chevelle. Nothing trick. Just a 468 with 9.5 comp. Ran 10.50s on the bottle and 11.80s on motor.
      I hope all goes well and you and Sam get the car back together soon. We're looking forward to seeing you guys again in Michigan.

Very purdy Chevelle. I love the 65-66 years. Glad you're driving it hard too. I dig the color/wheel combo.

Alright, my machinist was good to his word and we got the motor back on Tuesday around 2 PM. Deb, Sam and I worked on getting it back together and in the car until 5 AM Wednesday morning and Kaytlin and her boyfriend (car guy) also stayed until after midnight. Unfortunately Deb and I had to work on Wednesday. Luckily we're fire fighters and were able to nap between runs. So, Thursday morning we took the wagon to the alignment shop then got right on buttoning up the 66. I really wanted to be on the road by 2 PM but things never go as well as I hope. We did get the car running by 2 and were on our way to Chevellabration in Goodlettsville, TN by 4 PM. What better way to break in the new rings than drive the car 300+ miles? It ran great, but I have to say I have become hyper-aware of every noise.

Trying not to drag this out, but I changed the oil once I got here and we ran it last night a few times in the short auto-x. I'm having a hard time keeping it cool, so I took it easy. I have a few ideas on fixing my temperature problems so now I just need to thrash again this week before the Motor State Challenge.

On another note: We brought the 64 Chevelle wagon that some of you know down also, and Deb drove it pass after pass on the auto-x (maybe 20+ laps). She is HOOKED! I had to peel her out of the car just so I could enjoy it a couple of times. Good times!

Pictures to follow.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com