Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Any ideas?

Any ideas?

I converted to Pertronix Ignitor ignition in my 68 Chevelle.It ran absolutely awesome until I changed the alternator out with one I had laying around.After I changed it the car runs like crap,it's popping and sluggish.A couple people said it might be the module got shorted out.What do you think?Thanks in advance.

I find it hard to believe that 56 people have looked at this and no one has anything to say.

Try buying a new module if it works it is the module if not return the module.

Mike

Is the new alternator charging. Could be as simple as running low on voltage. Should be charging 13.8-14.2 runnning around 1200-1500 RPM.

Country Flag: United States
      I agree with MJOC1 except that usually when the module goes it doesn't work at all. Try using a meter to check voltage at the coil and at the module. I would also want to see what the alt is outputing.....do you still have the other alt? Try putting it back and see if the problem cleans up.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

Quote Originally Posted by mjoc1 View Post
      Try buying a new module if it works it is the module if not return the module.

Mike
      I like this... except the part about trying to return the module. Most parts houses around here don't allow you to return electrical stuff (condensers, modules, voltage regulators, etc.) I do keep a module in the trunk for exactly the reason TT302Z28 said (usually when the module goes it doesn't work at all). I have been stranded once before this way.
      -Marcus

Having ADD isn't so bad, you just have to... Hey! Look! There goes a chicken!

Gotta agree with SpeedBump. Around here you can only return electrical parts if they are still in the plastic and unopened.

X2 on the alternator. Seems like the likely culprit to me.

Thanks for the input guys.I ran some tests this past week and the ignition module tested fine according to my meter and testing info from pertronix,also tested the coil and that seems to be fine(about 2.5ohms).Now I'm not sure where to go,maybe plug wires or possibly a fuel issue?

Why did you change the alternator? My guess is the replacement alternator has a bad diode and is putting a lot of noise or voltage spikes into the electrical system, which is probably not making the Pertronix Ignitor too happy.

John

Country Flag: United States
      If you disconnect the alt, does the problem go away? This might be a simple test to see if it is the alt that is giving you these problems.

This really sounds like it could be a bad ground too.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

Quote Originally Posted by TT302Z28 View Post
      If you disconnect the alt, does the problem go away? This might be a simple test to see if it is the alt that is giving you these problems.

This really sounds like it could be a bad ground too.
      +1 Check your ground(s).
      67 fastback
      351w
      Baer brakes
      G-Force T5 trans
      9" rear w/3:50 gears & 31 spline axles
      Link
      Recently moved Salt Lake City from the SF Bay area.
      Looking forward to driving on the Miller Motorsports track this summer!