Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Richmond 5 Speed Hydraulic Conversion?

Hey guys, I have a 69 Camaro that I recently acquired a Richmond/Doug Nash 5 speed to replace the th-400. Im going to be cutting the firewall up and setting the motor back about 7-8 inches and need to convert the mechanical clutch linkage to hydraulic. Has anyone done this with a Richmond? I searched the site and online and found plenty of kits for the tremec and tko 5 and 6 speeds but not much for the richmond. Any input would be helpfull.

Thanks.
      -Ryan

Country Flag: United States
      You just need to use something like this:
      http://www.ramclutches.com/Products/...se_bearing.htm
      They work with stock type setups (muncies, T10's) and should work with the Richmond as well. I would contact Ram first to see if they know or compare the front of the Richmond to a Muncie or T10 to see how close it is.
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

Here's a link to Andrew's GTO in which he converted to a hydraulic actuated clutch for his Richmond 6 spd which should be the same I would think.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40904
      Goodwin

Thanks guys. That link to Andrews GTO helped millions!

Quote Originally Posted by Weezy F View Post
      Hey guys, I have a 69 Camaro that I recently acquired a Richmond/Doug Nash 5 speed to replace the th-400. Im going to be cutting the firewall up and setting the motor back about 7-8 inches and need to convert the mechanical clutch linkage to hydraulic. Has anyone done this with a Richmond? I searched the site and online and found plenty of kits for the tremec and tko 5 and 6 speeds but not much for the richmond. Any input would be helpfull.

Thanks.
      -Ryan
      You are in for some fun but it can be done.

Your tunnel has to be good size and the shifter can be moved forward to work. The amount the shifter can be moved forward is 6 in. but that is enough since I had to bend my shifter arm back to reach it but only about 2 in. so if you want to try and go 7 or 8 in. you could. I would only recommend going back 6 in. unless you are going with an LS motor. Your headers will be right at your gas pedal and it is a battle of room for your feet vs engine that far back.

Here are some pics of the shifter bracket I made. My car shifts as good as my Muncie M21 ever did and the linkage is a lot shorter than the stock Richmond/Long setup making it even better from what I have heard of Richmonds.

There are no kits for this so to speak but any hydraulic setup can be done. that's the easy part. I went with a Howe and after going thru the growing pains of their design I really like it. The way my clutch feels and responds is easy and smooth as a stock camaro and it has a saftey to keep it from over extending wich others don't. The Ram piece looks just like the same design I had from Howe the first time that over extended on me. Now my setup won't overextend and with a .750 Willwood master in only moves .560 which is well within the .688 that is the limit. I only use about 1/2 to 2/3 of the pedal to release and the control at contact is so good that I can nudge my car gently an barely move with control.

I will be here if you have questions.
      Last edited by Jim Nilsen; 05-11-2010 at 04:12 PM.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weezy F View Post
      Thanks guys. That link to Andrews GTO helped millions!
      Let me know if you have any other questions.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Tilton makes a combo hydraulic throwout bearing/front bearing retainer that fits too. Seems to be made well. I have one on my Doug Nash.
      70 Mach I, dry sump & lots of mods
      70 1/2 Z28 project car

I used the Mcleod throwout for the ROD 6 speed, should be the same as the 5 speed, direct bolt on and as a huge plus - it is self adjusting. The Ram and some others need to be shimmed to set the clearance. For the master cylinder I got the same setup as Andrews. -Dan
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 68sixspeed View Post
      I used the Mcleod throwout for the ROD 6 speed, should be the same as the 5 speed, direct bolt on and as a huge plus - it is self adjusting. The Ram and some others need to be shimmed to set the clearance. For the master cylinder I got the same setup as Andrews. -Dan

Do you have any part numbers for this? Trying to get my 6 speed setup in my 68 Chevelle as the z bar doesn't create enough throw for the clutch to release... hydraulic it is... just need to know what fits.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com