Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 camaro mufflers

Alright guys, ran into a little trouble trying to replace 40 series flowmaster with 50 series... They don't fit under the car in any natural way at least with the muffler guy I have working on it.

Any suggestions? Looks like I'm on the market for a new muffler. I can't stand the noise from the 40 series, was looking forward to the noise level of a 50 series, or quieter. Read a couple of forums from this site referencing magnaflow or Bullet performance. I'm guessing Bullet performance will be a bit too pricey (they actually don't make the muscle car streetable version for our 1st gens anymore)...

I delved into magnaflow a little, anyone have any experience with these?

Otherwise, if anyone has any advice on mufflers, I'm all ears.

thanks!
      -Bill

Country Flag: United States

Flowmasters

Bill, I had the 40 series flows on my 69 Camaro. They were a bit much for me too. I got the 50 series 3 chambers to fit my car even with 3" tubing. I cut back the inlets and outlets on the mufflers to about 3/4" to gain the additional length I needed. It is snug, but they do fit, at least on my 69. Huge difference between th 40's and 50's, I really like the sound now. I think my neighbors are cool with it now too.
      Brett

after starting this thread yesterday, I talked with my exhaust guys, and the option they were throwing out to get the 50 series to work was to completely weld input and output to the mufflers. This isn't an option since I'd like to have access to the transmission. The output would need to be trimmed, and the tailpipe would be cut back some (muffler would be welded on the start of the curve that bends over the axle).

I called a friend, who knows someone at Meineke, the friend tells me they sell Magnaflow, so if I can find a testamonial from someone, even meineke to tell me just how loud their 'oval' mufflers are compared to the 40 series, I'll probably go with them. The muffler I'm thinking of is 1" longer (case size) than the 40 series.

If anyone else out there has experience with magnaflow with respect to performance, sound or other, please speak up!!!

thanks!
      -Bill

Bill, sounds like you are dialed into the Magnas, but for what it is worth for whatever muffler you decide on...I welded on flange rings from Speedway so everything can be unbolted. I used them at the H-pipe and at the back of the mufflers. Easy removal of any section you need.
      Good luck, Brett

now THAT makes sense... no trouble with ground clearance?

This is a bugger. Not receiving much feedback, and I only want to go through this once...
      -Bill

now THAT makes sense... no trouble with ground clearance?

This is a bugger. Not receiving much feedback, and I only want to go through this once...

I may reconsider doing the 50 series as you suggest.
      -Bill

The header collectors are the lowest part of the exhaust. The rings are no bigger in diameter than the muffler is thick. So no ground clearance issues there, but the front Cal-Track mounts... One thing to pay attention to is where the bolt holes are. Make sure you can actually get the bolts in and out before u weld it up. Kinda tight there right at the radius where the tailpipe turns up. As for the 50 series, everyone has there own preference and idea of what sounds good, I happen to like them. Hopefully someone else will chime in here with their muffler experience. I was in the same boat as you, just couldn't decide and didn't want to buy anything without hearing it.
      Brett

Pushrod-
      I have a 383 stroker in my 69 camaro ss convertible and everyone including the custom exhaust shop was pushing me to get the 3 chamber Flowmasters. I had made up my mind that I was connecting Bullet Performance stainless mufflers(2 1/2" system) to the Dynomax headers already in the car. The sound of these mufflers is incredible. They are designed to force the sound out the rear so you can hold a conversation or hear the radio even in a convertible. When the exhaust shop finished installing them, everyone stood around and waited for the car to be started. The reaction from the exhaust shop was that they were going to recommend the Bullet's for the small blocks from now on. Just thought I'd give you something else to consider. Good luck

what do you think of this? I did some digging on these mufflers, and found that the pro-turbo they make is nearly the same size as the 40 series! I can give you some links if you are interested for future reference... though, the question of the hour is, how would it handle a big block 396?
      Last edited by mosaic68; 04-15-2005 at 12:02 PM. Reason: forgot something
      -Bill

I have magnaflows and love them. I put ball/cone connectors in front of them so I can drop out the center section when I need to ( have an X-pipe setup).
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com