Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

AC line crimping

So I am installing the Vintage Air in my car and was wondering if I can install the lines and have the ends going to the compressor crimped while they are on the car. I have a ball park idea of how long I want them to be but I am still assembling the car and once the unit is in under the dash I really did not want to take it out.

only if you have proper crimping tool.

I wanted to avoid buying the tool, I was hping to take it somewhere. The question I am asking is do shops have the capability to crimp while on the car?

I just cut the lines to the proper length then made a line on the end and the hose to assure proper orientation. I then unscrewed them and took them to an A/C shop to crimp.

I am not familiar with your install to know why you would have to remove the unit to have them crimped.
      Jeff

I recomend cutting them to proper lentgh, taping them with 2" masking tape so they stay clocked the right way (only important if neither end has a straight. If one end is straight, not required.) then take them to a A/C or hydraulic shop that has a proper crimper.

Thanks guys. Jeff the reason I am asking the question of leaving them on the car is due to the fact that the Vintage Air kit is in my opinion not the greatest. The kit does not have a firewall cover so I am using a heater delete plate that I purchased from DSE to cover up the factory hole. I would like to crimp them on the car due to the fact that the fittings would be a pain in the a@@ to fish through the grommets.

That makes sense, I used a bulkhead connector. The reason I marked all of the ends is that the hose seems to want to bend the way it was rolled up in shipping.

The only one I ever did without a bulkhead, I fished the lines thru the fan motor hole and the kick panel vent hole.
      Jeff

That's where they are being routed. We'll see tomorrow if anybody does it on the car locally.

Have you considered the new self-assembly lines that V/A sells? I used them on II Much, and it was really nice being able to fuss with them and do the whole assembly in my garage.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I just did mine while on the car. Pretty easy with the right tool.

I did my 442 and the Camaro by mocking them up, using White Out to mark the lines and got them crimped at an A/C shop. Only cost a few bucks to get them crimped, but cost tons of time, and they weren't open on the weekends.

When we were almost finished with the Camaro, we had to change one fitting in the engine bay on a line that was near impossible to remove without taking off the fender. I looked at ebay, and low and behold they were selling the tool for only $160. Bought it, and put the fitting on while the hose was still in the car. Super easy to do if you've got an impact wrench.

At that price I'd just buy the tool for the convenience, especially if you'd have to pay to get them crimped anyway. I wish I bought my tool years ago. Would have saved so much time it's not even funny.
      1969 Olds 442 convertible; 455 th400 sable/gold
      2006 Pontiac GTO: cammed LS2 T56 blue/blue
      1968 Chevy Camaro coupe: cammed LS7 T56 C5 subframe DSE 4 link, etc. rallye green/parchment

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Have you considered the new self-assembly lines that V/A sells? I used them on II Much, and it was really nice being able to fuss with them and do the whole assembly in my garage.

jp
      Is this a special line? What type of hose is it? braided? Guess I can go look ...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com