Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitter Dun View Post
      Could be time for an Aerodynamics forum. That would be cool.

I agree

I think more discussion on aero stuff would be awesome, but given the limited posts about it I dun think that there will be a forum dedicated any time soon :(

-- Dan

yeah, I agree Yoda. But maybe "Paint and Body" could be changed to "Paint, Body, & Aero tech"
      You can't be slick to a can of oil

Paint and body is more about cosmetic and restoration aspects than it is performance, at least until until aero becomes a popular topic round here it fits best in advanced technical and performance.

-- Dan

I don't think the name of the section should change, but I do feel aero stuff should go in the paint and body section. Afterall, all aerodynamic changes are done to the body. Remember...a slick paint job is more aerodynamic than matte. haha

We have gotten to the point where our cars can be competitive with late models mechanically. It only seems logical to me that aerodynamics would be the next level for our cars to go.

How exciting would it be to see the next line of aerodynamic products available for early model pro-touring cars.

As far as forum location, paint, body, and aero sounds fine to me.

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

I would agree. But the thing with aerodynamics...in order for it to be accurate, it needs to be tested, and that's pricey.

Remember Troy's Blowfish? they used Chrysler's wind tunnel. How cool is that!? lol

I think there was an article in Hot Rod some time ago where someone has a facility for "off the street" use, but it's so much $ per day or something like that.

I think the article is from '05 it's called "Kingdom of Air" I remember scanning the article for my Aero notebook in college. I could post the article pages if I'm allowed to lol

I have been spending alot of time thinking and researcvhing aero and have found some pretty cool stuff on line.

I will be revamping my valance for radiator and brake cooling air and currently researching how to close off grill area without looking tacky. Most likely from the back of the grill so it goes un-noticed.

There is a kit I found on line that will allow me to do this aside from reconstructing valance.

Another thing I would like to do is figure out a way to slope the nose of the car, but not so extreme that it takes away from the original look.

Also have been looking out for front air dams, spoilers, and rear spoilers.

Wonder what a wind tunnel would cost for the day...

Gaetano Cosentino

I have been spending alot of time thinking and researcvhing aero and have found some pretty cool stuff on line.

I will be revamping my valance for radiator and brake cooling air and currently researching how to close off grill area without looking tacky. Most likely from the back of the grill so it goes un-noticed.

There is a kit I found on line that will allow me to do this aside from reconstructing valance.

Another thing I would like to do is figure out a way to slope the nose of the car, but not so extreme that it takes away from the original look.

Also have been looking out for front air dams, spoilers, and rear spoilers.

Wonder what a wind tunnel would cost for the day...
      i made some grille blockoff plates for my 74 Monte Carlo out of some 20 gauge perforated steel i got out of the scrap bin when i ran a flat laser.
      i just formed it to the shape of the back of the grille, painted it Krylon semi gloss black, and used the stock grille mounting bolts to hold it in. i started with about 3/4 of the grille closed off, and kept cutting away more of it from the center of the grille until it maintained temps right around the opening point of the thermostat.

it did make a difference in the way the car feels going down the road- it feels more securely anchored to the ground and the steering is noticeably tighter. i also noticed a 2" increase in engine vacuum at highway speeds, which tells me that it needs less throttle opening to maintain speed.
      i've also done a couple of other tricks to that car that helped out. i made a "closeout panel" that takes up the gap between the front bumper and radiator support and added a 4" tall chin spoiler that i got from a mid 80's Caprice in the junkyard.
      both of those changes also helped with the way the car feels and how much vacuum it makes going down the road.
      my next project is going to be closing off the space between the bumper and inner fenderwells like GM did on the G bodies when they went to the smaller body style in '78, and i also plan to seal off the holes in the radiator support behind the headlights and put a seal between the radiator support and hood to help direct airflow thru the radiator instead of around it, which should allow me to close off more of the grille..
      someday, the bumpers are going to get sectioned in about 1" on each side to pull them in out of the air and flow better with the body lines, and the bumper shocks are going to get removed to suck them into the body 4". i don't know if that last thing counts as an aero thing, but it will make the car look better. i'm also gonna ditch the roof rain channel thingies and contour the B pillar to make a smoother transition from the door glass like they did on the NASCAR racers.

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
      i made some grille blockoff plates for my 74 Monte Carlo out of some 20 gauge perforated steel i got out of the scrap bin when i ran a flat laser.
      i just formed it to the shape of the back of the grille, painted it Krylon semi gloss black, and used the stock grille mounting bolts to hold it in. i started with about 3/4 of the grille closed off, and kept cutting away more of it from the center of the grille until it maintained temps right around the opening point of the thermostat.

it did make a difference i nthe way the car feels going down the road- it feels more securely anchored ot he ground and the steering is noticeably tighter. i also noticed a 2" increase in engine vacuum at highway speeds, which tells me that it needs less throttle opening to maintain speed.
      i've also done a couple of other tricks to that car that helped out. i makde a "closeout panel" that takes up the gap between the front bumper and radiator support and added a 4" tall chin spoiler that i got from a mid 80's Caprice in the junkyard.
      both of those changes also helped with the way the car feels and how much vacuum it makes going down the road.
      my next project is going to be closing off the space between the bumper and inner fenderwells like GM did on the G bodies when they went to the smaller body style in '78, and i also plan to seal off the holes in the radiator support behind the headlights and put a seal between the radiator support and hood to help direct airflow thru the radiator instead of around it, which should allow me to close off more of the grille..
      someday, the bumpers are going to get sectioned in about 1" on each side to pull them in out of the air and flow better with the body lines, and the bumper shocks are going to get removed to suck them into the body 4". i don't know if that last thing counts as an aero thing, but it will make the car look better. i'm also gonna ditch the roof rain channel thingies and contour the B pillar to make a smoother transition from the door glass like they did on the NASCAR racers.
      That is totally cool, and the next thing I will be working on. God knows our cars are in serious need of aero help.

Gaetano Cosentino

That is totally cool, and the next thing I will be working on. God knows our cars are in serious need of aero help.
      Yeah 69's are real bricks!

I don't have a shifter boot yet...driving down the road yesterday I couldn't believe how much air was gushing into my car through the shifter hole cutout. And that was at 65mph... I can't imagine how much lift is generated in these cars at any sort of real speed. I know Big Red camaro has an altered looking nose. It's really raked down.
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
      Yeah 69's are real bricks!

I don't have a shifter boot yet...driving down the road yesterday I couldn't believe how much air was gushing into my car through the shifter hole cutout. And that was at 65mph... I can't imagine how much lift is generated in these cars at any sort of real speed. I know Big Red camaro has an altered looking nose. It's really raked down.
      Yeah, I was wondering about Big Red's aero. Didn't that beast average 200 mph at an event running through Nevada?

Gaetano Cosentino

someday, the bumpers are going to get sectioned in about 1" on each side to pull them in out of the air and flow better with the body lines, and the bumper shocks are going to get removed to suck them into the body 4". i don't know if that last thing counts as an aero thing, but it will make the car look better.
      The front bumper sticking forward of the grill can be more aerodynamic that sucking it in. The farther forward the front valance is the more you can divert the air from hitting the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon65 View Post
      The front bumper sticking forward of the grill can be more aerodynamic that sucking it in. The farther forward the front valance is the more you can divert the air from hitting the grill.
      yeah, but it looks like crap. i'm not building an all out race car here.

yeah, but it looks like crap. i'm not building an all out race car here.

WORD. I totally agree with you! Just thought I would clarify for anyone looking for ultimate aero tricks.

haha you guys made me chuckle.

In school I had made a comment that made me "less of a designer"

I had made the comment, "Yea? well areodynamic cars are ugly!"

I mean really? look at a prius...

but yea, anyways, aero tricks are cool, but I wouldn't sacrifice the whole look of your car.

Yeah, I was wondering about Big Red's aero. Didn't that beast average 200 mph
      Lots of reading here:

http://www.bigredcamaro.com/newsite/mainpage.html
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Quote Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
      Thanks John.

Wow, a dedicated web site, that car is amazing. I dont know how RJ drives that fast sitting on his monstrous size balls, LOL.

I've seen 140 mph in my car but 220 mph. Holy guacamoli!!

Gaetano Cosentino

Oh yeah..big red is bad to da bone.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Driving home down I-25 yesterday I saw some vortex generators on the rear sides of a Jeep Cherokee. I believe they were the AirTab ones. There were 3-4 on the sides of the Jeep at the rear edge of the side and 3 more at the rear edge of the side glass. Wonder if it helps with his mileage.

Keep your eyes open... aero is everywhere.
      Adam Moyer
      '69 Cutlass "S"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com