Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      ok i prob missed it but what about the rear brakes? Say you are using a 9" rear with c clip eliminators and want the E brake to work

9" Ford never had c-clips to start with, so don't really have an answer. Probably depends on which bearing ends you have - best to contact Tobin @ www.kore3.com and see if he has a solution.

nice wright up planing on the c5/c6 brakes up front and ls1's on the rear of my 69 camaro

Hi all, to the guys running 'c5 master cylinders, what type of brake line fittings are you using for the conversion, and where did you get them?
      All help much appreciated
      Jarvis

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
      Hi all, to the guys running 'c5 master cylinders, what type of brake line fittings are you using for the conversion, and where did you get them?
      All help much appreciated
      Jarvis
      You mean from bubble to inverted? Autozone or your local parts store sells adapters.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

From my original post:

You will need 2 hard lines to connect the C5 master cylinder to the Disc/Disc proportioning valve. If you use your stock master cylinder you will not need these. This was perhaps the trickiest part of the swap, the lines must be old school type flare at the proportioning valve and bubble-type flare at the master cylinder. I bought bubble type flare stock tubes at the auto parts store and then cut one end, flared them with an old school flare and then bent them to fit, I then borrowed a friends flare tool and created the flare for the proportioning valve. It leaked. So I redid it. It leaked again. I redid it again this time without crushing the fitting so much, I allowed it to crush a bit while I was tightening it, no leaks! If needed some parts stores may be able to do this for you, or a brake shop can, ask around if you don’t want to do this.

From the master you just need to worry about the two lines that run to the proportioning valve.

Does that help?
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

Ran across this old pic of the master cylinder and booster:

Pete

1968 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Pete68 View Post
      Rear / Front

Ive got to ask, maybe they arent made anymore, but this is the look I want- the wheels and tires, and I cant find good performance tires with a redwall/line on them- How did you accomplish this or are these actually tires you bought this way?
      Great looking car!

Ha! Its actually not the tires, the red stripe is on the wheels. Its $5 pin stripe kit from local car parts store. But stuff is amazingly durable and easy to apply. I like it cause I can remove it if I want and it also pays homage to the old school red line tires. : )
      Pete

1968 Camaro

Vicinity and Pete.. for the 4th Gen Booster. Do you know the Rod's travel is ?.. I have mod'd my 4th Gen Booster as you did and now have it mounted up. I have two holes on my 71 Nova Pedal and want to make sure it will travel the correct amount..

Thanks..

BC

Quote Originally Posted by bczee View Post
      Vicinity and Pete.. for the 4th Gen Booster. Do you know the Rod's travel is ?.. I have mod'd my 4th Gen Booster as you did and now have it mounted up. I have two holes on my 71 Nova Pedal and want to make sure it will travel the correct amount..

Thanks..

BC
      I checked before I put it in, but I do not recall what it was. I do remember welding the threaded portion right on the end of the booster rod and mounting it against the firewall provided more than enough travel.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvmongo View Post
      Ive got to ask, maybe they arent made anymore, but this is the look I want- the wheels and tires, and I cant find good performance tires with a redwall/line on them- How did you accomplish this or are these actually tires you bought this way?
      Great looking car!
      You can get them from Diamonback Tire, but they won't be cheap. www.dbtires.com I would do like Pete68 did though in case you don't llike the look it can be easily reversed.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I just Installed c5 brakes on my 69 camaro.
      I used kor3 brackets. I added 1/2 wheel studs. I also mounmted the c5 booster/master and the stock 4 wheel disc prop valve.
      It came out great and with a few problems it was quick and easy.
      My problems were #1 the drumb hubs were off a 69 firebird wich is 5/16 wider thanks to pontiac widetrack, I would not have known if I did not call tobin at kor3, he knew right away.I had to use spacers to bring the adaptor bracket to the caliper bracket.( I would have replaced the hubs with chevy hubs if I had not already machine it down and install new bearings and studs.
      #2 the master to prob valve lines were tough to bend and flair because they are a hardened steel.
      #3 the left rear caliper I bought from auto zoned out sucked , the top pad clip does not even fit. check it in store before you take it home and paint it!
      This was the best and cheapest way to upgrade the brakes ,its all gm parts .
      The big brake companys should be ashamed of the price they are asking for brake kits that are about the same as a stock c5 brake upgrade. It only cost me under $400.00 total for the complete system.

In case you are wondering here is the finished look with the C5 brakes:

Name:  Camaro%u00252BL%u00252B005%u00252BG.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  208.0 KB

Name:  Camaro%u00252BL%u00252B003.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  210.7 KB
      Pete

1968 Camaro

Pete - Do you have any pictures of the C5 booster/master cylinder mounted up?

The firewall is all I have left to do with my swap, but I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to mount this unit. I have manual brakes though, so it looks like I don't have these brackets you (guys) are talking about.

Do you (guys) have straight brackets, or angled ones? Looks like if I went with straight brackets, it should keep the unit well away from my hood without the need to shim. Or, will I still need to shim a straight bracket?
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

I am interested in the answer to this question above as well! Look like the DSE 050302 reduced angle bracket that they sell would be a close match to the studs on that booster.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Got mine done this week, here are some pics for anyone else interested in this swap!

I got some $15 brackets from Summit. I liked the reduced angle ones like DSE, but I was apprehensive about trying them since they say "for DSE booster only". These worked perfectly, and I didn't even have to open up any holes. I just used 2 nuts as shims, and it gave me the perfect angle I was looking for.

And my Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve.

Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

I used the same exact master cylinder and apparently It wasn't pumping fluid to the rear drums. So I had to get a disk/Drum master from a 69 Camaro and it worked with that booster. Kinda pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by camarodude87 View Post
      I used the same exact master cylinder and apparently It wasn't pumping fluid to the rear drums. So I had to get a disk/Drum master from a 69 Camaro and it worked with that booster. Kinda pissed me off.
      Me too. Then Tobin @Kore3 told me that the front port is for the rear brakes and rear port is for the front brakes. I flip flopped my lines and it worked perfectly.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Hi guys, sorry for the slow response. Im sorry but I did forget to mention one thing in my original write up, way back in 1991 when I was 19 I swapped in the early 70's Nova disc brakes, at that time we also swapped in the master cylinder and power booster from the Nova...and Im pretty sure we also swapped the firewall bracket from the early 70's Nova. Sorry for the omission but that was a long time ago!! Anyway, hope that helps.
      Pete

1968 Camaro

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com