Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: Argentina
      Yes you need the brackets too.

$41 each from Kore3. looks like ill add those to the shopping list.

I found out i have 1/2-20 thread drum spindles. looks like ill need to find my hubs or score some from ebay or the pull a part. i cant find the ones i removed.

Corvette master cylinder firewall bracket

I am about to buy a c5 booster and m/c but I don't see the braket you are talking about that is on the fire wall, is it on the corvette or am I using the one off my camaro. this is 67ls

Would this be pretty much the same thing if used the stuff from an ls1 fbody into a 2nd gen fbody? I have the booster and m/c, and everything for the brakes (calipers, rotors, etc.)
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am, Ls1/t56, SLP lid, LT's, cut-out, Borla cat-back.

1980 Pontiac Trans Am, soon to get Ls1/t56 transplant.

bracket on c5 corvette m/c

Let me ask this question again to pete68 on post #32 you stated that 2.The Corvette master cylinder firewall bracket will work in your Camaro it just has to be modified a bit. Did this bracket come off the corvette because the power booster and m/c on ebay just have 4 bolts sticking out the back of the power booster I see no bracket, could you clarify this for me my name is Rich thank you.

Rich,

Pete posted this on the 1st post.

# C5 Master Cylinder (eBay/craigslist). It’s made of lightweight aluminum, and the master cylinder is clear plastic so you can see the fluid level. Yes, you can use your existing crappy cast iron master cylinder if you want but why would you want to when you can use a modern one for $100 extra? Cast iron master cylinders rust which can cause leakage between the internal rubber seals, eventually leading to a mushy pedal. You will need to cut the C5 brake pedal push rod and re-tap the end that I cut it so it will work with the old Camaro brake pedal, this just takes some measuring, then shim the booster at the firewall to get the correct spacing and to make sure it clears the hood, takes a bit of measuring and trial and error but is easy. You may need to shim the booster a bit so it angles down more, mine hit the hood a little. Be sure to use two nuts to hold the rod where it attaches to the pedal and use red Locktite to make sure it does not come loose.
      # C5 Brake Booster (eBay/craigslist). Get the master cylinder and booster together if you can, it’s almost a direct bolt in. Almost! I think I got booster and master cylinder on eBay for ~$140?
      then on post #32

1. I bought the master cylinder on ebay, it was $140 with the booster
      2. The Corvette master cylinder firewall bracket will work in your Camaro it just has to be modified a bit. You will have to drill out the holes a bit so they fit the studs on the Camaro firewall, its actually amazing how close they are.
      3. Once that is done you will need to shim the top two bolts a bit which will angle the master cylinder down so it does not hit the hood. I used a couple large stainless steal nuts that were about a 1/2 inch thick, that did it.
      4. I went to the local hardware store and found a rubber grommet that was the perfect size to seal the firewall hole where the brake rod goes thru.

So the C5 booster and MC fit. You need to modify the firewall by drilling the wholes so it will line up. Cut the MC rod so it can reach the pedal correctly, and move forward from there.

This may sound stupid, but Kore3 offers a Tall Spindle and Short Spindle bracket, how can I determine which I need?
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

Country Flag: United States
      The tall spindle is for 70 1/2 and up Camaro and the short spindle is for 67-69 Camaro.

Vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Great thread & write up...subscribing.
      Ed Cooney
      '96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, LT1/4L60, full bolt-ons & Solomon's tune, 18" Ridler wheels, lowered with Belltech springs

‘70 Buick Skylark Convertible project w/ GN drivetrain

'91 Formula, pending track day build

brakes

Mine using 98 camaro master cylinder and speed tech C5 brackets
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quick note, a buddy of mine is running this C5 set-up with 17-inch wheels, he had to file down the top of the calipers a bit but they fit, Ill add pics if I can. Use the diagram on Kore3.com to check your 17 inch wheels...they may work!
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

I really like your wheels did you buy the wheels black or did you have them coated? I didn't know coddington sold those wheels in black.

Anyone interested in the wheels can check with Boyd Coddingtons sons at www.billetwheel.com. They make em in almost any diameter and width and with custom backspacing, and if you don't know the ideal backspacing they can help with that too, they know the right setup for almost any muscle car. Wheels are 2-piece with a 6061 forged outer and a cast center.

Junk Yard Dog details:
      http://www.billetwheel.com/junkyarddogLpricing.html
      17x7, 17x8, 17x10, 18x7, 18x8, 18x9, 18x10, 18x12, 19x8, 19x10, 20x8.5, 20x10, 20x12, and more...
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

Thanks guy's. I'm into the same set-up for my 68. Your info is priceless and will call kore3 monday to get my brackets.

Great write up thanks for taking the time im sure it well help a bunch of people

Hey Pete, I purchased the front brackets for my 69 years ago, but I was under the impression that I had to use C4 rotors. Know anything about this?
      1969 Chevy Camaro
      D&D T-56, 04 LQ4

Quote Originally Posted by 69importkilla View Post
      Hey Pete, I purchased the front brackets for my 69 years ago, but I was under the impression that I had to use C4 rotors. Know anything about this?
      For the Speed Tech brackets, I believe you do.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

Drop Spindles

So I emailed Heidts about the tall drop spindles they offer. They responded telling me that the tall drop spindle will not work with the stock drum hub. Is this true? Do I need to buy the aluminum hub they offer as well? Is there another drop spindle that will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus66 View Post
      So I emailed Heidts about the tall drop spindles they offer. They responded telling me that the tall drop spindle will not work with the stock drum hub. Is this true? Do I need to buy the aluminum hub they offer as well? Is there another drop spindle that will work?

There is plenty of information around this forum about the good and bad of drop spindles.

Save your $$$. Use your stock spindles if they are still in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete68 View Post
      Quick note, a buddy of mine is running this C5 set-up with 17-inch wheels, he had to file down the top of the calipers a bit but they fit, Ill add pics if I can. Use the diagram on Kore3.com to check your 17 inch wheels...they may work!
      Were you able to get any pictures? I have 17" snowflakes from YearOne and would love to do this conversion on my '78 TA. I have been looking at changing my brakes over to the 1LE setup but would love to have the C5 setup.

Also, can the stock MC/booster support the C5 front brakes if I keep the rear drums for now?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com