Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice writeup, Pete. What wheels are you using? Although heavy I have a line on a set of 17" cragar soft 8's.

69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Country Flag: Argentina
      Pete thanx for the info.

I guess i should have read and re-read what you wrote. It's all there. That's what happens when you just quick read.

Ok t o also bring something out that Tobin didnt post nor the OP.
      Kore3 has a list that allows you to use the C5 325mm(12.8) rotor, c5 Z51 340mm (13.39) rotor or the C5/C6 Z06 355mm(13.98)rotor. The 325mm rotor will clear Soft 8 17" and most others from what I hear, depending on Calipers used, the 340mm and 355mm will need 18" wheels and the big 355mm will need careful checking depending on calipers used as there are several combos including a mix of C5, C6, Z51, Z06 and years.
      do the research, I have seen on here one guy has most of the options, specs and differences all on one post. Ill post it unless someone else has it to link in here.

please do!

Car has 18x8 front, 18x9 rear Boyd Coddington Junk Yard Dog 2-piece aluminum wheels, powder-coated in flat black. They fit the brakes pretty easily. I used the templates from Kore3 to check em first.

Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

Wheel and brake images

Rear / Front

Pete

1968 Camaro

Did you have to use KORE3 brakets alone or do they work in conjunction with the OEM corvette bracket & KORE3 brackets?

Quote Originally Posted by nsxpert View Post
      Did you have to use KORE3 brakets alone or do they work in conjunction with the OEM corvette bracket & KORE3 brackets?

They work in conjunction with the OEM bracket.

Here is a picture taken from www.kore3.com

I think you can see what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxpert View Post
      The KORE3 brackets just mimic a C5/C6 knuckle with respect to the relationship between the caliper assembly mounting points and the hub. This should allow you to run basically any C5 or C6(Z51/Z06/ZR1) brake configuration with our conversion kits. The one exception is our "Hybrid" bracket kit where we use the standard base level C5/C6 front caliper assembly with the larger 355mm C6 Z06 rotors. While Corvette components, our "Hybrid" kit isn't a standard Corvette configuration and would not work on a C5/C6 knuckle.

Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

Hey Pete. Nice post!

Any pics or additional info on the mods or shims you had to do to mount the booster & M/C?
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Excellent write up Pete! I just finished up the same swap only on my Ford 9". I posted some pics on that thread of how I did the parking brake setup that you might be interested in or pm me.

Colby

Chad, I don't have any pics yet but here is what I did to mount the C5 Corvette (remember that's a 1997-2004 vette) master cylinder in my 68 Camaro:

1. I bought the master cylinder on ebay, it was $140 with the booster
      2. The Corvette master cylinder firewall bracket will work in your Camaro it just has to be modified a bit. You will have to drill out the holes a bit so they fit the studs on the Camaro firewall, its actually amazing how close they are.
      3. Once that is done you will need to shim the top two bolts a bit which will angle the master cylinder down so it does not hit the hood. I used a couple large stainless steal nuts that were about a 1/2 inch thick, that did it.
      4. I went to the local hardware store and found a rubber grommet that was the perfect size to seal the firewall hole where the brake rod goes thru.

As I mentioned this master cylinder will give you great pedal feel and feedback, which is really nice to have on an old car.

And here is one more reason to use the modern vette master cylinder, it has an electrical connector next to the clear plastic reservoir which is a low level warning. You can splice this warning wire into the original Camaro brake warning wire that goes to the proportioning valve. This will warn you if the brake level gets low!! This connector is $51 dollars at the chevy dealer but I found hundreds of them at the local junk yard, just find a nice clean one, it cost me 80 cents!

Good luck
      Pete

1968 Camaro

Hey Pete - nice write up.
      I just did the C5 Corvette swap -but used the Kore3 325MM kit and used a CPP master cylinder and went completely manual due to a big duration cam and low engine vacuum.

I think that Kore3 have great optioned kits for the cash. They've done all the footwork in selecting the parts. Tobin is extremely knowledgeable and can provide you a ton of info on your brake situation. The only thing I can add is that wheel fitment will be critical if for any doing this and has existing 17 and 18 wheels.

You have a great layout on finding and showing where to get the parts on the upgrade.

Nick

http://www.brokenboltgarage.net/reassembly.htm
      Nick Visciani
      1969 Camaro 454 Richmond Super T10, SpeedTech Pro Tour suspension, AFX Spindles, Kore3 C5 325MM Brake Kit, 10 Bolt 355 Posi, Tran AM rear Discs
      2002 C5 Corvette -

It begins - [url]http://www.brokenboltgarage.net

One more comment, if you buy used calipers I would suggest painting them grey or black. I cleaned mine up but they are a bit corroded and faded in spots. You can always try to find red calipers too, if thats your thing. But my Boxster already has red and the car is red so it seemed like too much for me. : )
      Pete

1968 Camaro

Pete did you need any spacers for the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete68 View Post
      Car has 18x8 front, 18x9 rear Boyd Coddington Junk Yard Dog 2-piece aluminum wheels, powder-coated in flat black. They fit the brakes pretty easily. I used the templates from Kore3 to check em first.

(sarcasm)how in the name of all that is good is this possible???(sarcasm) all here claim that you cannot fit an 8" wheel with 2" dropped spindles. on a serious note, did it take anything special to fit the 18x8's on the front with the dropped spindles?

No spacers on the front. Tie rod end is very close to the tire tho, maybe about an inch away from what I remember. Im running 225's up front and Im not sure if I can go any wider, maybe 235's or even 245 would work, max. Ill check and verify soon.
      Pete

1968 Camaro

what is the backspacing on the front wheels?

im interested in this as well.

i just bought some brand new C5 red ZO6 front calipers on ebay for $240 shipped.

I looked at the Kore3 web page short spindle kit and subtracted the cost of their calipers and billet hubs and got a kit price of $330 that will include rotors w/ 7/16 studs, pads, brackets, and lines.

so around $600 isnt all that bad for a front upgrade!!

thank goodness i saved my drum spindles i took off my 68 buick skylark.

i forgot to ask. will i need to use the C5 factory caliper mounting brackets as well? i think im only getting calipers. ill be missing the OEM brackets...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com