Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
      Agreed. After these changes are done almost my entire suspension will be stuff I bought from him or stuff he said I should buy. So far everything he suggested has done exactly what he told me it would. Hoping these latest changes/suggestions will be the same.

-Joe
      Joe Lincoln
      Lime Green 71 Olds 442 Convertible

Upgrades thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ible&highlight=

Got the new parts ordered today including:

SPC Springs:
      Front 1.2" drop 14 1/8 inch 550 rated
      Rear: 1" drop 14 1/4 inch 135 rated

Varishock dbl adjustable Quickset2 shocks front and rear. 16 settings for both compression and rebound with a rebound that maxes out at around 700 (vs a QA1 or Viking that maxes at 450) Again this is a non-issue for drag racing but that extra rebound is huge for a nicer street ride and autocross

SPC lower control arms with progressive rate jounce bumpers and a 1" drop and 1" of shims to allow the front springs to be adjusted up or down to dial in the ride height right where it needs to be.
      Joe Lincoln

Had same situation last yr with my wagon.

I had car hammered 4" drop in front 3" in rear, car looked killer. But handled like crap and chewed tires.

I have always been more about aesthetics altitude=attitude theory vs function. I also talked to Mark and did lots of research and realized if I wanted to actually autocross my car, id need to listen to the experience and knowledge of these guys and lift car as much as it pained me to do. Car handles killer now that I applied what I was told. And I still wish I could have both. But car being competent makes the higher altitude tolerable lol

Quote Originally Posted by beater65 View Post
      Had same situation last yr with my wagon.

I had car hammered 4" drop in front 3" in rear, car looked killer. But handled like crap and chewed tires.

I have always been more about aesthetics altitude=attitude theory vs function. I also talked to Mark and did lots of research and realized if I wanted to actually autocross my car, id need to listen to the experience and knowledge of these guys and lift car as much as it pained me to do. Car handles killer now that I applied what I was told. And I still wish I could have both. But car being competent makes the higher altitude tolerable lol
      I'm with you. Hoping to get the car back in time to get some autocross in before the winter hits. I'm 100% in with Mark's suggestions now. Basically my entire suspension will be what he suggested. Will update here on my results once I get the chance to autocross, also same goes for 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, and street driving.

-Joe
      Joe Lincoln

Pretty cool add for my new lower control arms. What exactly is a progressive rate jounce bumper? Found this article that describes it pretty well:

http://www.hrsprings.com/technical/m...-jounce-bumper

Translation - instead of a hard rubber bouncy bump stop (which doesn't help the ride in anyway) like these red ones on the Global West Arms:

........all new cars are now made with this "memory foam" like material"

Crazy that this little change supposedly can make the car ride much smoother. Mark says the dbl adjustable shocks will actually be better at a slightly lower compression setting with the progressive rate jounce bumper instead of a standard rubber bumps stop.

Also the SPC arms should be 2 or 3 lbs lighter than my current Global West Coil over only arms. - I'll take any weight loss I can get especially in the front end. Will make sure we weigh both of them to compare.
      Joe Lincoln

New lower control arms and springs are on but unfortunately still no Varishock dbl adjustables yet. They are made to order and taking a while.

Joe Lincoln

Country Flag: United States
      Nice parts.

Ordered these new hood hinges from www.eddiemotorsports.com that were just made available for 69-72 Olds Cutlass & 442s for both steel and fiberglass hoods. Went with the "300" shocks for my repro glass hood. They allow you to swap out the shocks higher or lower at no charge but they suggested the 300 one should be perfect. Will update here if I have to change to another one. Frank my builder had seen these hinges on a Chevy he worked on and said they were amazing and the hood opens really smooth and easy. My hood is all over the map with the glass fenders and hood so hoping these hinges will make it smoother and nicer. Will provide an update once installed. I went with the matte black finish:

Joe Lincoln

The roller lifters have been swapped out because the ones in there previously made this loud ticking noise that sounded like an exhaust leak or something. You can hear it if you listen to the videos I posted earlier when I open the hood. Hoping the new ones eliminated that noise. There was also a small/slow oil leak in the front part of the Torker intake that drove me crazy. Hoping both issues are resolved now. The motor is back together and painted a fresh coat of Olds blue:

Joe Lincoln

Looks good Joe, hopefully no leak and no ticking.

You could save some weight by swapping to a modern A/C compressor, unless you're going for a factory look.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Thanks Dan.

Nick - I'm running the Aluminum A6 Pro6ten compressor that is 21 lbs lighter than stock (per my bathroom scale). To give it that stock look - it was painted flat black and I bought the red sticker for $5 to go on there too. Hard to tell it's not stock w/o looking pretty close.

-Joe
      Joe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by 71OLDS View Post
      Thanks Dan.

Nick - I'm running the Aluminum A6 Pro6ten compressor that is 21 lbs lighter than stock (per my bathroom scale). To give it that stock look - it was painted flat black and I bought the red sticker for $5 to go on there too. Hard to tell it's not stock w/o looking pretty close.

-Joe
      Then you did a good job, because I wouldn't have known!

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      Then you did a good job, because I wouldn't have known!
      mission accomplished!!
      Joe Lincoln

Got some more pics - dbl adjust front shocks finally arrived. They are installed but not without some issues as you can see by the friendly gesture

On this one - note the new end links with the blue on the ends. These swivel to prevent any sway bar binding as you can see by the angles at the top and bottom - pretty cool part:

this shows the chassis brace pretty well:

This is the new thermostat setup for the oil cooler - see my earlier posts from a while back for why I needed this. Short version is the oil cooler cools the engine too much on the hwy on long trips especially in the cooler months oil temps and water temps end up going below 160 degrees - this thermostat shuts the oil cooler off when it goes below 180*

Radiator, Fans, alternator etc back on:

this is my new Power bstrd 220 Amp Alternator btw - also mentioned in earlier posts - upgraded from the Powermaster 150 amp alternator (90 at idle) to a powerbstrd 220 amp alternator (110 at idle) - hoping this keeps the volts higher at idle with the AC on, fans on, electric pump fuel pump for EFI, wipers on, and subs maxed out - it was borderline when most of these were on at the same time previously.
      Joe Lincoln

A few new updates. Clutch/flywheel was sent back to McLeod to be all checked out and resurfaced. I had 5k hard miles on it with the 6 speed and it was time. It's all back on and ready to go

The new front springs, arms, and dbl adjustable Varishocks are on. We started with just the 2 spacers in the bottom of the control arms and the car just sat too low.

Of course I love the way that looks but the rear is going to be higher with the changes there so they have to be the same front to back. The new rear springs and dbl adjustable Varishocks are on too. In this pic the rear is jacked way up since the trans was still out and the car hasn't been driven. The combo of the front too low and the rear up has a nice stink bug look:

Ordered the aluminum spring seats that mount on the top of the front springs to raise the front up and it's sitting much better now:

Hoping once the trans is in and the car is driven the rear will settle about 1.5" and it should be about right. We'll see. Also note you can see the new hood hinges in these pics. Will update how they are once the hood is back on.
      Joe Lincoln

Since I'm running a much lighter spring in the rear now per Mark at SC&C's suggestion, I went back to the old school air bags inside the springs. Will use to adjust for straight launches at the track as well as for rear seat passengers or heavy loads in the trunk on road trips etc.

Frank ran the air lines up into the trunk for the air bags so I don't have to crawl under the car to adjust them. Most of the time will be running with nothing in them (or maybe 1 or 2 psi) but it's nice to have another adjustable feature when needed.

Still trying to dial in the steering box/sway bar/turning radius with the Lee 800 steering box. We were going to send the steering box back to Lee to have one size up stops added but I was told the next size up could limit the turning radius lock to lock more than I wanted and there's no way to go "in-between" stop sizes. The problem with that is I may not even be able to do a u-turn on the street and if the turning radius is that limited it would be really bad for autocross. Frank tried to work his magic on the front sway bar by shortening in by 1/2".

It fits without hitting the frame and it appears it's not hitting at full lock but need to get the car on the ground and do some hard corners to see if it hits still. If you scroll up a few pics you can see the huge rub mark on the sway bar that was happening at full lock.
      Joe Lincoln

One of the issues that needed to be fixed this round is what we thought was a bent clutch pedal arm. As mentioned I've got about 5k miles with the new 6 speed and hyd clutch setup from American Powertrain. I pound through the gears with 6000 RPM shifts almost every time I drive the car. It turns out the alterations made to make the hyd clutch setup compatible weakned the entire housing unit to where some of the parts were bending or out of alignment. Here are some pics:

So Frank is going to have to reinforce the entire housing to make it able to withstand my abuse and then get everything straightened out and back where it should be.

Hopefully once this is done we can get the car on the road for some test drives to see where we are with the ride height and steering at max lock out.
      Joe Lincoln

Frank got everything done on the housing and pedal arms:

Had to clearance the bracket more:

here's my reinforced pedal arm vs a stock one:

all ready to go back in and take all my abuse now!!
      Joe Lincoln

Finally a few new updates - Front end alignment got done and the car was driven to and from the shop. Weather has been nasty so no chance for more test driving. The AC is now fully charged and holding the R134. Happy to report the sway bar/steering box lock to lock issue appears to be resolved. Now at full lock on both sides there's about 3/4" clearance. Hoping this is enough to also prevent it from hitting when I'm doing hardcore cornering during autocross. Guess we will find out. I would think it would NOT deflect enough to hit with 3/4" clearance:

- - - Updated - - -

Still playing reindeer games (season appropriate I guess) trying to dial in the ride height with the new setup. During the short drive to the alignment shop the front settled about 1.5" and the rear only dropped about 1/2" Was hoping for the reverse. Need the front higher now and rear lower. Ordered the 1" aluminum spacer to go on top of the front springs to swap out the current 1/2" spacer and will be adding one more shim below the spring. It's a hassle to get this dialed in but really hoping the ride vs. the old QA1 coil over setup is worth it.

Joe Lincoln

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com