Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
      I've had a few ask me about the details on the compressor. here you go:

Old Air Products - The Pro6TEN Compressor is a 10 Cylinder "bolt-in" direct replacement for the GM Frigidaire/Harrison A-6 Compressor. This new design is specifically engineered to fit original A-6 mounting brackets and A/C hose assemblies. This highly efficient compressor offers a smoother, quieter operation, creating less vibration and engine drag, increased fuel mileage, improved engine and cooling system performance. The aluminum body of the Pro6TEN is 52% lighter than the original A-6 (significantly reducing shipping costs). Designed to accept both Superheat and high pressure safety switches, one single groove part # replaces 90% of all applications (also available with a double groove clutch). Fits 1962 & up GM vehicles, many Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes Benz, Rolls Royce, Volvo, various heavy duty trucks and other applications with the A-6 Compressor. For more information visit our website at www.oldairproducts.com or Phone Number: 817-531-2665

Joe Lincoln
      Lime Green 71 Olds 442 Convertible

Upgrades thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ible&highlight=

Country Flag: United States
      Hey Joe,
      Did you have to use the AC rear bracket to stabilize that compressor. I am using a similar set-up using brackets from a 76 Olds Cutlass instead of the 71 brackets. I am having a few issues with the HS rockers, stock valve covers, factory rear bracket, and the Performer intake bolt holes.
      Regards, Lance

Hey Joe,
      Did you have to use the AC rear bracket to stabilize that compressor. I am using a similar set-up using brackets from a 76 Olds Cutlass instead of the 71 brackets. I am having a few issues with the HS rockers, stock valve covers, factory rear bracket, and the Performer intake bolt holes.
      Hi Lance,

Because the compressor is so much ligher the rear bracket was not needed to stablize it. If you are using the factory compressor I'm pretty sure you will have to use the rear bracket. Also the pulley's didn't line up properly for the AC belt. Lots of custom work here. Also my valve covers are factory appearing tall valve covers so the AC box had to be modified for it all to fit. The project was started with the tall sheet metal valve covers until the more factory appearing ones were found. They are about the same height:

The entire AC "box" had to be removed and reshaped (with Fiberglass) to make room for the taller valve covers:

finished product:

I'm not sure on the bolt holes for the performer (I have the Torker) but it would be safe to assume it would be more custom work unfortunately because nothing seems to line up or be easy once you go away from stock.

-Joe
      Joe Lincoln

Looks good and I love that color on those cars. Are you planning to keep it that color or change it?
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

That car is just plain stunning,,, nice job my friend.
      Carbon Kustoms Limited
      A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

Car is looking great. Looking forward to seeing it painted.
      Mike R
      '66 Olds Cutlass Convertible
      '15 Challenger SRT 392 (DD)
      '72 Pontiac LeMans (wife's toy)

Are you planning to keep it that color or change it?
      Thanks guys. The car will ALWAYS be its original color = GM Paint code 43 - Lime green
      Joe Lincoln

I am using a Nostalgic Air aftermarket kit. With the '76 brackets the AC belt is the last one on. During mock up it aligned pretty well. The compressor is exactly like yours in this kit. My car was heat only so I do not have to worry there. I will mock up the '71 bracket to see how it aligns with the '76 parts. My HS rockers may fit under the factory valve covers with some oil baffle mods. MTF
      Regards, Lance

Quote Originally Posted by 71OLDS View Post
      ARTTIIs 18x10 rims (5.5” BS)
      w/Nitto 555r 305/45/18s drag radials=12.02”section width, 28.78”diam
      They look killer. What is the size and BS for the fronts?
      Kevin Oeste
      V8 Speed and Resto Shop
      V8TV
      Muscle Car Of The Week
      V8 Radio Podcast

All about us:
      https://www.v8speedshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by oestek View Post
      They look killer. What is the size and BS for the fronts?
      Sorry Kevin. Missed your post from a while ago. Here's the info on the fronts:

18x8 rims (4.5” BS) w/Nitto 555 255/45/18s 10”sw – 26.97”d - But this was BEFORE the B-body spindles and the new glass fenders were installed. Now these "stick out" too far and do not fit (rests against the fender right now). Would have to go with maybe with a 5" or 5.25" BS to push everything in a little.

I will be selling these Rims and tires (all 4 ) in the near future (upgrading to 20s with adjusted BS #s to fit properly) but they may already be spoken for. Let me know if you are interested (or anyone else) and I can confirm one way or the other.
      Joe Lincoln

Been a while since I've had any updates. Here are some pics on the NewGen500s mounted. Dont have correct Olds caps yet and just did a quick one coat job on the painted on RWL. Not sure I like the look of the Nitto RWL but I do like the Nitto tires. May switch to Goodyear Eagle GTs in similar sizes for a better look:

Sizes are 18x8 255/45/18
      18x10 305/45/18

Joe Lincoln

Country Flag: Australia
      Very nice....really like those New Gen 500s.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

^^ what he said! wheels look great on there!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Looking good! How does that trans hold up behing the 455?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Thanks guys!

Looking good! How does that trans hold up behing the 455?
      CSOUTH,

I can't answer that question yet. My previous motor with this trans was the stock low compression motor. No where near where it is now. Hoping to have the car back and on the road by March. I will be running it hard at that time. If the trans goes I will probably upgrade to the The G-Force GF-5R 5-Speed using the same gears but hoping it will last for a while. We'll see. The Road Race 5 speed is supposed to be a little stronger than the original Richmond 5 speed.

-Joe
      Joe Lincoln

Gauge and Dual Diaphragm Question

Great car Joe, and nice work. I'm sure you cannot wait to get on the road.

I'm interested in your gauge cluster(s), including the sub-cluster. Obviously very customized from stock, yet you managed to preserve the "sumulated wood grain" that is so familiar. If possible, please reveal anthing you can about this customization you've done - looks great. Not having bought a 'tic-toc-tach' back in the affordable days, I'm interested in any aftermarket options.

Also, a question you may not yet be able to answer - how do you like the dual-diaphragm booster? Any issues? With similar engine work in my '71, I was only able to go with a 7" booster, but single diaphragm. I'm finding my braking behavior to be sub-par.

Thanks,
      Mike

Name:  DSC02166.JPG
Views: 2520
Size:  322.8 KB

Car looks great, love those wheels!!!!!

Thanks guys.

Mike, you are right, I can't wait to get the car back and get it on the road. Luckily I have a 70 Cutlass Supreme I picked up about a year ago that's been keeping me busy while it's been gone. For the gauges I just got a piece of card board and cut it to fit where the stock gauges go. I drove around and tried to find the best place to see the tach (with the sport wheel) and kind of built everything around that. The 3 round stock gauges are not placed well to be able to see with the sport steering wheel. I don't like the big tach on the column or dash....so the only spot that worked was just off center to the right, the the speedo off center to the left, then find a way to fit as many other gauges on there and look good. I also wanted to make sure the 5500 to 6000 RPMs on the tach were on the inside middle. Again because that's where I'll be shifting and I don't want it blocked by the wheel. I kept changing things around with that piece of card board until I came up with the stencil. Then I bought all the gauges I liked that fit in the stencil. Mounted them in the card board and sent them off to this guy:

http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/

...with a sample of from 71 woodgrain and he matched it up as close as he could. Sent back the finished product all ready to be mounted. I think he charged me about $180 including shipping it back.

Brakes are kind of a long story. Bottom line is the 9" Dual diaphram booster didn't work. Went back to Baer about 3 or 4 years after I bought it from them and they said they never sold that type of booster. I couldn't find the reciept so I was SOL. Not running a booster at all now. May end up going with a hydroboost set up or something once I get the car back. Not adding any new projects for now. Just trying to get all unfinished projects done and get the car back in my driveway.

-Joe
      Joe Lincoln

awesome build, and would love to see it on the road as well. Later this year we should have an Oldsmobile PT gathering as there seem to be a good group of us building Cutlass-es at the moment!

Digging the wheel and tire combo

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com