Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      What do those rear tires measure height and width?

ARTTIIs 18x10 rims (5.5” BS)
      w/Nitto 555r 305/45/18s drag radials=12.02”section width, 28.78”diam
      Joe Lincoln
      Lime Green 71 Olds 442 Convertible

Upgrades thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ible&highlight=

Country Flag: United States
      looking good !

71 olds cutlass supreme convertible
      07 dodge ram
      96 monte carlo
      11 dodge challenger

http://www.fquick.com/724TIM
      http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/724tim/

wow, great looking olds.
      I am new here and am working on a 72 W30/pro touring clone & have questions about your fiberglass fenders. I have been thinking of going to fiberglass front fenders and bumpers myself to save some weight.

Are you happy with the fit/quality of yours?
      Can you tell me-us more about them?
      Thanks
      Alain V.
      Topeka, Kansas

73 Cutlass supreme owner here, glad to see some BOP action on this board!

wow, great looking olds.
      I am new here and am working on a 72 W30/pro touring clone & have questions about your fiberglass fenders. I have been thinking of going to fiberglass front fenders and bumpers myself to save some weight.

Are you happy with the fit/quality of yours?
      Can you tell me-us more about them?
      Thanks. Long story on the glass parts. Car started off at 4300 lbs (with me in it) and part of the many new projects is to try to lose 350lbs. Alum heads, intake, AC compressor plus new all glass (repro -no steel) ram air hood, glass fenders, glass front bumper, glass rear decklid, lots of cutting on core support, etc should get me close.

The glass fenders and front bumper came from Showcars unlimited. The bottom line with most glass products is they will take a while to get them (months) and they will never fit quite right. Gaps and spacing on all sides is going to take lots of works to make it look close but it will be very difficult to get it to look as good as the factory steel. That said if you get it right or even pretty close it will never rust and it will save you some weight. Also plan on never getting in a fender bender or all that hard work is going to be history. So your call. Weight savings may be less than you think. Bumper is 20 lbs lighter than steel and fenders are 16 each. Rear decklid is 26 lbs lighter but the weight savings up front is more valuable in my opinion. Still don't have mine out on the road yet and there's lots of body work and spacing/gapping to go with these glass parts. We'll see how it ends up. At 4300 I was trying to do anything and everything to lighten the car without sacrificing some of the heavier "necessities" like big rims and tires, sound deadener, all my stereo equipment, AC etc etc. AC parts are around 100 lbs for example so you can drop a bunch of weight if you're willing to pass on AC...then maybe it's not worth the 32 lbs savings of the glass fenders. The same could be said for the subwoofers and amps...
      Joe Lincoln

Thanks for the reply.
      I too am trying to keep the weight "in check" yet keep the car looking "stock"

I'm planning on alum- heads,intake,wp, rad, and sanden a/c compressor along with alum brackets for accessories. Will also be using a hawker oddessy battery.

My car already has a factory original W30 hood (steel& glass combo), that is a little rough. I has some cracks in the rear corner like if it "opened" up on someone while driving.

I might just fix the original hood and hang it on the wall, so I have it, if I ever want to do a full on resto,,,,,
      and get a lightweight W30 replica all glass hood to save weight.

My main plan for fiberglass is to use glass front and rear bumpers (painted in the body color -flame orange).
      Should help get some weight off the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by 71OLDS View Post
      Weight savings may be less than you think. Bumper is 20 lbs lighter than steel and fenders are 16 each. Rear decklid is 26 lbs lighter but the weight savings up front is more valuable in my opinion. Still don't have mine out on the road yet and there's lots of body work and spacing/gapping to go with these glass parts. We'll see how it ends up. At 4300 I was trying to do anything and everything to lighten the car without sacrificing some of the heavier "necessities" like big rims and tires, sound deadener, all my stereo equipment, AC etc etc. AC parts are around 100 lbs for example so you can drop a bunch of weight if you're willing to pass on AC...then maybe it's not worth the 32 lbs savings of the glass fenders. The same could be said for the subwoofers and amps...
      IMO, fiberglass parts are there for the 'hey, cool' factor, cause that doesn't seem like a worthwile weight savings, but every little bit counts, esp if you 'need' the stereo (A/C is WAY important to me, I would lose a stereo before going w/o!)
      really like your 442, the stock look under the hood is great!
      Keith C.

sweeeeeeeet!
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Looks good my man. I was working on setting up the dash in my Cutlass for new gauges and I like what you did with yours. Makes me want to get back in the garage. Keep working at it.
      Kyle

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme:
      Hotchkis TVS
      SC&C Stage II+
      SPC Tubular Lower Control Arms
      Rushforth Super Spokes 19/20 brushed/polished
      Olds 455 Build
      200-4R Transmission (CK Performance Full Billet Pro Street/Strip)
      10bolt 8.5" w/Truetrac, 3.73 gears, Moser 30spline axles

Thanks everyone. Hoping to have some more progress soon. We'll see how things go.

-Joe
      Joe Lincoln

I might just fix the original hood and hang it on the wall, so I have it, if I ever want to do a full on resto,,,,,
      and get a lightweight W30 replica all glass hood to save weight.
      forgot to comment on this. I actually had a factory ram air hood on mine before I got the glasstek (all glass - no steel frame) hood. I got a new one because my original was separating (glass from steel) on one side and started to bow. I THOUGHT the all glass would be much lighter. Trusty bathroom scale only showed 13 lbs difference!! Now I posted this a while back on ROP (Realoldspower) and several Olds guys said I was way off but I weighed them both and that's what I got....so in my opinion (per my scale) stick with the stock hood or get a Thorton with the steel. Maybe glasstek glass hoods are heavier than some of the others out there but it doesn't seem worth it for that small difference.

-Joe
      Joe Lincoln

Very cool Joe.

I'd be interested in how many were built equipped like your car.

Can't be many obviously.
      Skip

Very cool Joe.

I'd be interested in how many were built equipped like your car.

Can't be many obviously.
      Thanks skip. Here are the #s:

1,304 442 convertibles in 1971 (only 110 of those were W-30)

Mine is NOT a W-30 but it was an orignal 4 speed car (M-20 trans, non-ram-air AC car, with 3.23 rear)

Out of the 1,304 442 convertibles in 71 only 183 were 4 speeds. So there you go..1 of 183. Still has original block but lots of changes from there. Goal was "mostly stock appearance" with as much performance as possible.
      Joe Lincoln

Country Flag: Iceland

Been a while but I have a few new pics. Lots of work on the glass body panels and hood trying to get them aligned properly. Can actually open both doors now (without moving the fender out of the way) and the hood is getting closer. Also the glass front bumper is on. The plan is to chrome the front bumper so it looks more stock (vs. painting it) but it has been a challange to find someone that will chrome a glass bumper. We'll see. It would be much easier just to paint it body color or paint it with chrome "appearing" paint but I'm hoping we will find a way to get it done with real chrome.

pic of the hood from above:

close up of the passenger side fender and door. Not perfect but so much better than it was:

close up of the front view including the bumper. Sorry this is VERY blurry...camara phone :(

Joe Lincoln

Looking good!
      Lee
      1966 Cutlass

The difference between truth & fiction: fiction has to make sense.

Build Thread:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=64470

Cool Build!
      I never get tired of looking at A-Body convertibles!
      Dan
      1971 Chevelle Maliboo Convertible 496/4L80E
      1956 210 2 door Sedan 8-71 blown 468/T400

Thats a mean looking car man.

New light weight/high performance low drag AC compressor installed as well as the cruise control pieces. The rear AC bracket was not needed anymore because the compressor was so much lighter than stock (about 20 lbs lighter). Leaving the bracket off saved a few more lbs. I'll take whatever I can get. Here's a few more pics. As always sorry for the blurry ones:

Joe Lincoln

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com