Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Master Shift vs Retrotek Paddle Shifters

Hey guys I have a 68 Chevelle with a turbo 400 tranny. I plan to add a Gear Vendor's unit to the trans that is going to basicly split my gears to a 6 speed auto.

I want to also add paddle shifters. I am asking those that are familar with Master Shift and Retrotek to give your advice. Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      What about Twist Machine ??
      They were about the first company to have paddle shifters for hotrods / musclecars.

Can you even put paddle shifters on a TH400 ??
      I though you had to have an electric shift trans.. , like a 4l60e , 4l80e , etc..

( I could be wrong )
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Twist only works with electronic transmissions. He'll still have one controlled by the vacuum signal. There are some companies (the ones he mentioned are ones I've heard of) that do it for a vacuum operated tranny.

I researched this, mastershift is twice the money but they use twist machine shifters and top quality parts, also I think everything is usa made. Retrotek seems to be a little cheaper quality and their electronics might be from overseas.
      Frank M
      1970 lemans sport
      2004 silverado 4x4 lowered
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SER1gBLn2N0

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFTATE View Post
      What about Twist Machine ??
      They were about the first company to have paddle shifters for hotrods / musclecars.

Can you even put paddle shifters on a TH400 ??
      I though you had to have an electric shift trans.. , like a 4l60e , 4l80e , etc..

( I could be wrong )
      MasterShift states on their web site "The MasterShift™ Manual Shifter currently supports 700R4, Turbo 400, Ford AOD, GM-4L60 and 4L60E, GM4L80, and other such transmissions (see requirements)."
      Is their anyone on here that has any experience with both shifters?

I have no experience with either company but just got back from sema and talked to MasterShift at the show. It might shift slower than the electronic version but for your 400, this is the only way to go if you want a paddle shifter. My only problem is the control box is a good size and would be hard to hide. I dont remember the size but it was close to the size for a half loaf of bread. I think Chris Trevino said they can do up to a 8 foot cable.

Hi guys, I have -68 Coronet project. Installing new Hemi and 727. I am intrested that Master shifts pedal shifter. Does anyone has put it own car ? Any experiences?

Stay away from them, No customer support. They have moved to Canada. Pm me and I give more info.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com