Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

4L80e or TH400 w/Gear Vendors in 1st Gen??

What do you guys think is best for performance and resale value on the car? I have a 67 SS/RS with ZZ502. With 4l80e you can buy the paddle shifter but with the TH-400 you can also shift manually with a button on the steering wheel and gear splitting...effectively having 6-speed trans.
      What would you prefer??

I'd go for the 4L80E w/ paddle shifter. The T-com or other tranny controller is where the advantage comes in. You can infinitely tune the 4L80E and paddle shifter.

Well how about a 4L80E with a Gear Vendors O.D.? That would provide the benefits of both technologies: 8 close ratio gears thanks to gear spliiting by the GV electric over/underdrive unit PLUS custom calibration and "manu-matic" capability from a fully computerized 4L80E. I'm sure I could whip up a paddle shifter that handles both shifting and gear splitting chores.

How does this sound for resale?
      FOR SALE: 67 Camaro SS/RS Pro-Touring. ZZ502, Paddle Shifted 8-speed manumatic... :icon996:

Remember that electric OD or not, half of the shifts in your TH400/GV scenario will still be made the old clunky mechanical way--by grabbing the shift lever. Shifts may be slow to react and are not readily adjustable. Adding a GV on the end of a TH400 is by no means the same as "manu-matic" shifting technology such as Porsche's Tiptronic or Chrysler's Autostick.
      Many people have asked why they can't paddle shift their TH350 or TH400. The easiest analogy that I have come up with is as follows:
      Trying to add a paddle shifter to your TH350 is like trying to attach a video monitor or "mouse" to a typewriter.

It's not about the paddle shifter. The software is the key.

That idea tops them all! How would the shifting work with the paddle and GVOD? Would the paddle control and sync shifts for both the trans and GVOD?

Quote Originally Posted by 4MuscleMachinesMan
      That idea tops them all!
      Yup--it's an over the top idea. I'm not even sure where you would use eight gears??? You'd run out of track (1/4 mile) in fourth gear. And on the highway, you would be arrested somewhere around sixth gear. But it would be fun to try. I haven't done the math, but I think that with double final overdrive, a 25" tire, a and a 3.42 gear, you will achieve a theoretical 912 mph.
      I have spoken with one rodder who is considering a paddle shifter for his Allison 1000--which is a 5 speed auto. It's a big tranny, but he's building a big dog: A 1930-something truck/street rod on an all new frame. A1000's are fully computerized, so true manumatic function is possible.

[QUOTE=How would the shifting work with the paddle and GVOD? Would the paddle control and sync shifts for both the trans and GVOD?[/QUOTE]
      I have not tried this scenario--so we are just bench racing. I'm thinking that the paddle shifter can be configured to work in series: ACTUATE the GV's electric splitter AS WELL AS perform the gear changes on the 4L80E when in manual mode. The hard part may be configuring for dual function in both directions. I can see it in my head--and it hurts.

Anyway, is it clear that an electric gear split TH400 is not the same as a computerized, manumatic 4L80E? If not, feel free to call me or email me with a phone number and we can talk on my nickel.

Given the 31" length of the 4L80E, with the added length of the GV OD, you'd be looking at a too-short driveshaft in most cars.

I agree. Back to the question at hand:
      A gear splitter is primarily designed to keep slow heavy tow vehicles from dropping out of their peak rpm band. Here, "close ratio" has a whole new meaning. However, put yourself in the shoes of that tow vehicle driver: Shift time takes a back seat to maintaining momentum in a straight line. Push a button, move the gear lever, push a button, repeat.

Now take the gear splitter process and apply it to a performance vehicle with twisty roads and 10, 11, 12 second E.T.'s. Yes you gain the benefit of close ratio gears--and you get to brag about the number of gears, but the physical task involved in gear splitting and shifting may not be appropriate. Good when you are trying to slowly climb a steep hill on a superslab. But kinda clumsy when you are tossing the car around.
      So if you will be using your car primarily for touring the country the TH400/GV scenario is a good choice. If you will frequently find yourself in performance driving situations, be sure to envision shifting and splitting gears with it before you buy.

With the paddle shifted, fully computerized 4L80E, you put the gear lever in "Drive" and forget about it. When in manual mode, all gear changes are handled by paddles from the steering wheel. And unlike a tow vehicle, your P-T car should have an ample torque/load ratio, such that staying in your powerband is not a problem.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com