Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Install an H pipe with a catalytic converter or converters.

Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Country Flag: United States
      cruise with the nagging wife!
      ---------Fabian Sanchez-----------
      71 velle Project Syckness ATS,Rushforth wheels,PRRC, Autometer,UMI, Hotchkis,QA1,hood-latches.com, comp cams,

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43881

Quote Originally Posted by 1badchevelle View Post
      cruise with the nagging wife!
      Thats why I thought my car was quiet
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

I went from Flowmaster 2 chambers on my 500 hp 347 Fox stang to Magnaflows and it's much quieter. I prefer the flowmaster sound but I want to be able to hear in 10 years.

One other trick I've picked up that sometimes works...if you look at stock exhaust like on fox stangs, the mufflers
      are not the same distance away from the h-pipe or x-pipe junction. this was done to help tune out the resonance and
      in cases where people have welded even 2-chamber flowmasters into stock pipes they've been much better about drone than with a standard catback where everything is pretty close to mirror image. some cars this isn't possible with because of the floor pan.
      Last edited by tonykim; 09-11-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
      89 Supercharged Saleen 352 rwhp, 93 Mustang LX 347 stroker 420 rwhp daily driver, 78 Firebird, 69 Opel Kadett Rallye ex-SCCA track car..."everyone needs to own a 4-bbl 4 cylinder once"

Do you guys use 14" or 22" mufflers?
      MD
      70 chevelle, 427, forged, solid roller

Well I swapped flows to magnaflow, sounds great now with no drone! Nice sound at idle and cruising, really rips at WOT.
      MD
      70 chevelle, 427, forged, solid roller

I put a cut out switch on my car--a flip of the switch takes the car from a quite daily driver to a full blown race car.

Have a look at the DYNOMAX Race Bullets, I used them on my exhaust system on my 1996 Impala SS. It took down the drone of the Spintech
      system down to a tolerable level. I have the Sportsman XL mufflers.

The Race Bullets come in 3 inch size.

Good Luck.
      Paul R Dumdie Jr
      HERD546 W9DWP
      ISSCA 2158 AZISSO 460
      East Dundee IL

We built our own exhaust on my big block 69 Camaro with 3" piping, x-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, and some hidden tail pipes. No drone what so ever. I have a ton of Dynamat in my interior which helps but adding a x-pipe and exiting the exhaust towards the rear of the car helped a ton. My old exhaust dumped right off the mufflers and made your teeth chatter. Now it sounds like a 600+hp big block at idle but really cleans up nice when cruising. Couldn't be happier.

For reducing noise, and drone you need to use a combination of products.

- Vibration dampers - Eiter a mat or a liquid coating will do. The coatings, like our Spectrum (noise_ and Firewall ( heat) are designed to go on under the car, in teh wheel wells and on the floor pan, or inside the car on the interior sheet metal. The damping mats, like our Damplifier Pro, are designed for interiro use only. Using the mats inside the car with the coatings on the outside (underbody) is ideal since it will sandwich the sheet metal between the two dampers.

- Noise Barriers - Thes product, like our Luxury Liner Pro are designed to reduce airborne sound waves and should go on top of the Damplifier Pro vibration dampers inside the car to reject the stuborn airborne sound wave frequencies that are coming out of your exhaust system..

That is the best way to reudce obnoxious exhasut drone..

Hope that makes sense

ANT

Will changing from 3" tailpipes (after mufflers) to 2.5" make any worth while difference?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Believe it or not, the length of the pipes has more to do with drone than you'd think. If your pipes are short like when you dump at the rear axle, the simple act of adding full length tailpipes will lower the RPM that you get the drone, most likely below your cruise RPM.

Tommy

Tommy Souren

"The older I get, the faster I was."

Grandma's 20k mile '80 Malibu Classic, in-progress factory style LS6 454, Legend LGT 700 5 speed, 9" 3.70 posi, Global West suspension, 12"/11" discs.

My friend has Corsa's on his 2000 Vett. They drone at 2200. I have 3" 3 chamber flow masters with an X pipe. I am switching to the Magnaflows. I do love tthe FLowmaster sound but, the interior noise is just too loud. I have sound insulation in my TA. Helped a little. Not enough though.
      Last edited by Taman; 02-28-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added to
      Everything Under the Sun is Intune
      Chris
      http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea..._am/index.html

there is a reason why we call them Dronemasters and not Flowmasters.....just got mine out of my Chevelle and I could not wait to throw the pieces of ......(fill the blank) out in the dumpster...

get rid of them you will be happy....

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      Other than changing it completely? I have 3" duals with Flowmaster mufflers. Love the sound, but the drone in the cab gets on my nerves.

Thanks

I welded a cheapy summit venturi into my mufflers and it worked wonders

Something like this?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Country Flag: Puerto Rico
      Ear plugs!!

jk of course...

Resonators, or an additional small bullet muffler like suggested above.

do you have turn downs?

My bro's 83 GP had that, and it droned like crazy.

Full length headman headers, true dual 3" exhaust dumping into dynomax ultras i think (very loud). Turn downs before the axle, droned like crazy.

He put full length 2.5" pipes over the axle and exited past the rear bumper, HUGE difference. No drone, although its still throaty, and you can still hear it when you punch the gas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com