Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Question: People who have build Pro-touring Trucks

I have a question, those of you who have built Pro-touring trucks, wether if it was a mini or full sized... Has anyone driven their trucks at Open track days or has Autocrossed their trucks???

Adam (HectorM52) ran his at Road Atlanta and does some Auto x. I'll let him post the videos, you will be impressed.

Here is another guy that was the regional champ in his class.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/515521

Some of his videos:
      http://www.youtube.com/user/devilboys10

You should check out the site in my sig. I know you were a member of the old site that never worked.

I have seen his Youtube videos before, I think it is awesome what he is doing, the track that he normally drives on is really short but looks like a lot of fun, I would love to see more tracks like that here state side...

I will have to check out the new Pro-Touring S-10 site, I feel like a outsider though being a Ford Ranger owner...

I got some news from my local sanctioning body that shattered my universe. I was informed that under no circumastance shall a truck be allowed to compete. This includes all auto-x, time attack, and open track events. Apparently even the private auto-x's that local clubs put on will not allow trucks, unless the coordinater owes you a favor. The truck could be an ex-NASCAR truck series and they will still tell you to leave it in the parking lot.

My suggestion to you, check out your local events before you start building. My plans for a sick track vehicle have now become a very uncomfortable street truck. I assumed that since dudes like hector and greencactus competed it was no big deal, and that lack of planning bit me in the arse.

Cheers, Ryer

Quote Originally Posted by bbcc View Post
      I got some news from my local sanctioning body that shattered my universe. I was informed that under no circumastance shall a truck be allowed to compete. This includes all auto-x, time attack, and open track events. Apparently even the private auto-x's that local clubs put on will not allow trucks, unless the coordinater owes you a favor. The truck could be an ex-NASCAR truck series and they will still tell you to leave it in the parking lot.

My suggestion to you, check out your local events before you start building. My plans for a sick track vehicle have now become a very uncomfortable street truck. I assumed that since dudes like hector and greencactus competed it was no big deal, and that lack of planning bit me in the arse.

Cheers, Ryer
      What do you think that is all about?....sounds like a tough pill to swallow for PT truck owners
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

I built this many years ago. I started using it for AutoX and was talked into doing drivers school/ time trials with it. Turns out it was even better on a road course than it was at AutoX. It didn't look like much but it sure did work. And the looks made it even more fun when running down much better cars in the braking zones and thru the twisties. But there were some clubs that would not let me run with them. The PCA and BMW clubs wouldn't even give me a look. Now funny story is that my first AutoX with the one Corvette region. I show up and drive up to the entrance where they had a barrle to keep regular people out of the lot. I pull up and the guy asks me if I am here to AutoX with a weird look on his face. I say yes and he let's me in. Now they ran the whole weekend of Memorial day weekend. Sat and Sun were AutoX and Mon was the road course and this was Sat and I was by myself. So Sunday the wife and I show up and during the day one of the Corvette guys comes up to her while I was on the course and says "Ya know yesterday when he showed up in that truck we all kinda laughed. Until we saw him run" After that not only the Corvette club but the SCCA region welcomed me with open arms and even wanted me to run the road course with them after only meeting me for two days. But I will agree not every group will be so inviting.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

This truck is/was from AZ and it ran road courses with the best of them. My buddy Charles painted it. (This was quite a few years back!)
      '70 Camaro
      '75 Camaro
      '66 Chevelle 'vert

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by bbcc View Post
      I got some news from my local sanctioning body that shattered my universe. I was informed that under no circumastance shall a truck be allowed to compete. This includes all auto-x, time attack, and open track events. Apparently even the private auto-x's that local clubs put on will not allow trucks,
      When did this happen? I have a friend in Edmonton that autocrosses his S10.

*edit* the last one he ran was in late July.

I must be lucky, both Ohio Valley Region SCCA and Western Ohio Region SCCA Welcomes me to run with them... I would love to stay H-Stock but have a higher center of gravity :( I wish I had a ZQ8 S-10...

Now running with NASA or SCCA road courses might be a little interesting, just might have to find out ;) I have heard that the BMW/Porsche clubs are not too friendly to outsiders with odd vehicles...

That mid-50's truck would be awesome to see on the road course!!!

I have a friend in the New England states that runs a Ford Ranger with a small block Ford motor... he has some pictures and videos on youtube... quite awesome to watch, especially when he is passing porsche boxsters... his name is Matt Boshar...

Quote Originally Posted by off camber View Post
      When did this happen? I have a friend in Edmonton that autocrosses his S10.

*edit* the last one he ran was in late July.

Got the news on sunday, while nursing a wicked hang-over. Wasn't a good day for me.

Would that happen to be Tyson aka "rentedmule"? I'm buddies with him aswell. I know he auto-x's with some local enthusiasts but I don't believe it's a sanctioned event, or classed for that matter. Just a bunch of dudes setting up cones on a private lot. I'll have to talk to him more about it when he gets back into town.

I'll still build my truck, but just a bit more tame than I was planning.

06ranger, that's good news. Hope to see some sweet build and action pics when you get em!

Country Flag: Canada
      That sucks man! I hadn't heard that. I run events under the Alberta Solo Association. They don't necessarily care if it's a truck - their only concern is for safety so it has to be reasonably low and pass the regular tech for Solo 2. They request that you take it easy on your first few runs so they can assess whether it's OK. The Canadian Syclone/Typhoon Nationals have even hooked up with them for the next event in mid September which should be a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLxZC60V7I

I run at about 1 min 40 seconds in that vid.

I'm not fast by any stretch but I also get this same comment every time I run

"...when he showed up in that truck we all kinda laughed. Until we saw him run"
      Tyson
      '95 Firebird Formula: suspension + 315's
      '66 Mustang Coupe, 289

It will be a while before I have pictures of the project due to lack of a garage, I thought about doing the project in stages, put the motor/transmission in and get it running, move to suspension for 2nd stage, Body/Paint for the 3rd Stage...

Quote Originally Posted by rentedmule View Post
      That sucks man! I hadn't heard that. I run events under the Alberta Solo Association. They don't necessarily care if it's a truck - their only concern is for safety so it has to be reasonably low and pass the regular tech for Solo 2. They request that you take it easy on your first few runs so they can assess whether it's OK. The Canadian Syclone/Typhoon Nationals have even hooked up with them for the next event in mid September which should be a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLxZC60V7I

I run at about 1 min 40 seconds in that vid.

I'm not fast by any stretch but I also get this same comment every time I run

Ya I was talking to the dude who runs the show at stratotec. I'm sure by the time i finish the blazer there will be a few more options made available. If Castrol ever puts good to their word on their track.

06ranger, I'm doing my build on the drivway. It's not even flat, and no where near level. My build is going in stages aswell. Front suspension done by fall, engine and trans will be built over winter, spring will be rear suspension, summer is interior and cage, then fall will be body work. It sucks not being able to work on it at night or when it's ****ty outside, but you just have to keep working on it.

Country Flag: Canada
      Ry - I have a good friend in town who races with several different organizations and he warned me about stratotec. He said they can be very unfriendly towards unconventional vehicles and even rookies in general and that their rules are super strict. It could be that the guy you were talking to was on the extreme end of that scale and the option is still open if you make a good case.
      Tyson
      '95 Firebird Formula: suspension + 315's
      '66 Mustang Coupe, 289

unfortunately, there are a ton of people who do not want to see a truck on the track, they all makes jokes about it when you ask about people who want to drive their truck on the track, they say that they will take out their lifted Suburbans onto the track and ask if it is ok for them to drive at insane amounts of speed...

I will probably do the swap at my parent's house, they have an old barn that I can use while I am working on the truck...

Quote Originally Posted by 06RangerSTX View Post
      I will probably do the swap at my parent's house, they have an old barn that I can use while I am working on the truck...
      Sweet

Ya it's true. I know the rules were meant to keep jackasses in lifted vehicles out, but I'll try and make a case when the time comes.

Ty, this guy apparenty runs the show at stratotec. Came off super douchey, and even my bud who owns the sick miata told me if i wanted to race there i better get something common.

BTW, when are you back in town. I'd like to grab a beer with ya and chat about the sy/ty nats and other truck stuff!

Ryer

So basically if I build a killer truck, the only places I can run it are track days, Nevada Open Road Races, and Bonneville?? No auto-crossing?? That's lame. If it fits the safety regulations and I'm paying an entry fee, I should be able to run anything. Heck you can run a Zamboni in the GRM 2k whatever cheap challenge...I'm fired up now...
      I always thought auto-cross was run watcha brung.
      Jonathan Baty

For the most part it is run whatchya brung. Providing it passes tech. I just have douches running the show in my town. Having only one road track within a 1000km radius sucks too.

I hear ya on the suckage, I'm a truck man from the heart so I wanna build a hot rod truck, but I want to do everything... Not just cruise to the burger stand.
      Jonathan Baty

In the SCCA; they should have a street modified or a unlimited class that is a catch all type of scenario... I know SCCA also has trucks classified into what class they are, but not usually much beyond stock though, There is a Florida Region SCCA that has a regional class call Truck Racing (TR) they have Ford Lighnings and Dodge SRT-10 trucks running... I found a SCCA site that talked about it, but usually trucks like the Extreme S-10, Syclone, Toyota X and S-Runner, or even S-10s with the ZQ8 suspension package have no problems running I think it was H-Stock or G-stock I am not sure...

I am with you guys, I am a truck lover at heart and would love to see more guys out there get into trucks at autocrosses...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com