Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Which Direction???

I need everyones' help with a decision...

I currently have way too many projects going on right now and have to decide on which path to follow...

Here is a little history on one of my projects...

I started the project in 2001; where I had decided it would be fun to drop in a mildly built 2.3L turbo motor into a 2nd generation Ford Ranger, so I went out and bought a motor and proceeded to drop about 2k into the rebuild, well after several years went by from getting married, moving out of the state and moving back, to being laid off twice in 2 years, the project fell to the way side...

A few years ago I completely fell in love with track days, so I went out and bought a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs, I thought that it would be nice to have for the Ohio Winters... Which I was correct... the only issue was that the car completely emptied my pockets trying to keep the car on the road and on the track... i fortunately ended up selling the car to make ends meet, out went the expensive car, but the want for track days is still there...

So that takes me to my other project, after I had sold my Subaru I felt the need to buy another car for track and autocross, I ended up finding a rare AWD turbo car that is also very fun to drive, the car is a 1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD turbo, looking at the car in the pictures, the car looked very clean... I bought the car and found out that there is a lot more rust than I was expecting...

See the problem is that I love having projects and love working on cars, but my wife and I just moved into a house that does not have a garage, At heart I am a huge Muscle Car/Vintage car enthusiast... so a little Japanese car is not my first pick for a project, I personally want to finish the Ranger project, but without a garage it makes it incredibly difficult to finish...

I guess I need help choosing which route to go project wise, I mean trucks are not the most approved vehicles for track days, but I must say that I love being on this site and talking with all of you guys, it makes me aspire to be more and do more with projects current and future that may come up, I would like to be able to attend events that Pro-Touring.com puts on...

I appologize that this was such a long post, but I am completely lost with which direction to take...

anyone?

It does suck working without a garage. I had my car in a boat storage building for years, and I would do projects in the winter on it. It was freezing over there laying on my back on the concrete. It had a really high ceiling in it and there was no way in the world to heat it up. Finally I got a house with a garage about 4 years ago and life has been great every since.

It sounds lik you may definitely need to thin your herd. I would sell down to 1 vehichle, probably the ranger, and use the money to get a storage and finish the project. Once you have tha one done, you can move on to another. Don't get distracted and lured off one project onto another. It's a sure way to never finish anything.
      Alex Godsey
      Somerset, KY
      Pro Touring 67 GTO
      461 Pontiac Power

Both projects have their good points and bad poinst. I have been leaning towards the Ranger also, it seems like I would have a lot more enjoyment out of something that I could take out to the drag strip or the autocross course, or even take a few laps on the road course...

hmm... I'd go the other way. keep a DD as your DD. then put the money in the project car. although it sort of depends on how much each project needs to be finished.

if the Isuzu is a track car, don't worry about rust. just use it to get better at driving, and DD the truck until you have a place and the funds to work on them.
      dave.t
      86 Olds 442 - Project If It Ain't Broke, Take It Apart and Fix It
      74 Javelin AMX - stocker

There's a slick S-10 hanging around here that can really take turns. Adam can really drive, too. Check out his threads for inspiration. And try to rent some garage space.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36738

Thank you for your responses, I do think that I want to build the Ranger, I just feel that it will be more of a versitile vehicle for me to drive...

How rare is the impulse? If very rare you could sell it to fund the ranger project. Or you could cut it up and put the drive train in the Ranger.
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

Isuzu brought 800 of these cars into the United States... There are about 400 left...

My motor is actually done, but no Ranger, I actually have been through 3 trucks for this project so far...

Here's a REALLY nice running Ranger... It competed in a number of the "24 Hours of Lemons" races... It has come in 10th, 7th, and 3rd so far in the three races I know it has competed in...

I like the play on names, "Crapsman Truck" and "Danger Ranger"...

Go with the Ranger project...
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

A properly built and set up truck can be both useful and fun to run... This brings back memories of my Luv with a 400 sbc, it was so low I had to pick up on the bumper to slide a jack under the front crossmember... nice wide tires, it handled like it was on rails. I still had a whole bed to haul things in too. I say ditch the Impulse or DD it and build the pick up.
      Jonathan Baty

Rangers have been raced in the past. remember the Saleen Ranger in 90 or so. then around the same time they actually raced in a SCCA race series. The Archer Brothers used to race Jeep Comanche trucks. The RWD trucks are classed in SCCA rules. AS far as track days. I have seen just about everything from trucks to full size RWD fords. I say, ditch the tuner and find a Ranger. the local GM dealer has a mid 80s 2wd Ranger short bed single cab for like $800-900.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door next project.

I agree with you guys with ditching the Impulse also... and you are correct when saying a properly setup truck is very fun to drive and could be competent on the track... Rangers are dirt cheap right now also... I think my decision is leaning towards the Ranger at the moment,

Another nice thing is that the Ranger has a ton of parts in the aftermarket and can be easily adaptable from Mustang parts, Where the Impulse has no aftermarket, I will spend a ton of money to create one off pieces

Either way, you really should devote some brain cells to finding shop space. It's not impossible to build a project in your driveway, but it's like pushing a rock uphill. Your best bet is to share space with other enthusiasts. Divide the rent. Share tools and resources. You might offset your personal costs by doing work for other shareholders. Be the guy who humbly takes care of wash/wax, maintenance and repairs for the other people. Clean the toilet, take out the trash. Add a fridge, microwave--make it a place to hang out.

Industrial parks are begging for renters right now. At the very least, drive around seeking For Rent signs and make some calls. Then round up some friends or get the word out at local cruises.

So, you are building a Ranger.... but you have no Ranger?

You are correct, I do have some space at my parents house 2 1/2 hours from my place, it is a old barn that has a dirt floor which can make it hard to work on projects...

I currently do not have a Ranger for the project, the motor for the project is finished though... I thought about using a Thunderbird Turbocoupe or a Mustang Notchback for the project, but the Ranger is much cheaper and easier to work on...

From the sounds of it, your heart is in the Ranger....Stick to what you want/like or you'll never get it built.....
      Just one opinion from a guy currently without a PT project....
      Kurt G
      Las Vegas

I agree with you, I think I should Just finish the truck project...

Ok 3 options, custom frame, custom suspension , or transplant suspension.
      OK when I had my 86 Rangers I wanted to put in a modded 94-up 8.8 Tbird/Cougar IRS, they have both camber/toe adjusters, the centers can be identified as a 7.5 or 8.8 and with lots of parts for them your good inside the center section and air ride can be added very easy. Up front I personally would remove inner fenders at first, a set of tubular upper/lower control arms, Air springs or even an Air Strut setup(I had though of this one but at time no one made Air Struts, now air ride Technologies does).
      My idea was a framework that sits across the frame rails or even use 2x3 or 2x4 mild wall rectangle steel for frame rails.
      All you need is the place to weld on cab mounts so the ideas are limitless and with small engine you arent going to have major torque issues to overcome so I dont think the IRS would ever fail.

IFS would be a much better setup as far as suspension adjustment goes, I found a 1998 Ford Ranger, which already has the IFS front suspension for $800, but my funds are a little dry at the moment...

I have never been a big fan of air suspension, I do not know why, I have troubles trusting it, I was thinking a 3-link with Qa-1 coilovers but I do go back and forth between a IFS or Lowered I-beams for the older trucks, I have seen both the IFS and I-beam front suspension be very nice handling trucks...

my 2.3L turbo right now is setup for 250-300 wheel horsepower and about 300ft lbs. torque, I want to go further and build a 500 wheel horsepower motor, I have seen it done on a stock block motor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com