Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 18 of 101 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 68 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
      I don't think most of us mount enough tires to have our own equipment.
      Well I wouldn't either. Like I said it is at the shop where I work. We wouldn't have it their if one of the workers hadn't swapped for something.. I think a dead lawnmower.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon65 View Post
      Lucky. I can mount my own tires, I have in the past. But with these wheels and the small sidewall I dont want to take a chance.
      True.. I wimped out when i got mine and just had them mount and balance them there. But it wasn't going to be any less if I hadn't. So it was kinda a no-brainer. And the only ones I mount are the chap ones that I'm going to burn off very shortly. I let someone else mess up the expensive ones.
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Aero Duster" project
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Daily Duster" project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...RO-DUSTER-quot

Country Flag: United States
      So I am working on my TCI cradle modifications and the watts link mount.

The blue piece is the modded TCI cradle.
      Gray will be all aluminum.
      Light yellow is stock trunk floor.
      yellow is steel.

Its not complete yet. But starting to get ideas on paper is the hardest part.

Sweet!
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

Very nice!
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters

Thanks guys, I heading to FEDex right now to pick up some more parts from TCI. Hopefully I will have some more physical updates this weekend.

Spent all day yesterday and today cutting and grinding off the stock bumpstops. What a pain when they mount to the frame. It hard trying to not harm the frame. ALmost ready to mount the TCI frame brackets. Oh and I got a TV in the garage now. WOOHOO.

Pics! What made them so difficult? You couldn't drill the spot welds out? I'm sure when I see the pics it will make sense. Oh yea brotha, gotta have one of those!
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

Spent all day yesterday and today cutting and grinding off the stock bumpstops. What a pain when they mount to the frame. It hard trying to not harm the frame. ALmost ready to mount the TCI frame brackets. Oh and I got a TV in the garage now. WOOHOO.
      That's funny, I did the ones on my 63 Falcon today. I ended up using an air chisel to blow them apart and then ground down the spot welds that were hidden inside of the upright section. PITA!
      I was also cleaning off 47 years old undercoating and dirt (Note to self, never buy a car from a guy in Palmdale that lives on a dirt road ever again)

My TCI Rear supports and frame brackets are now back off and going for powder coating.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
      Pics! What made them so difficult? You couldn't drill the spot welds out? I'm sure when I see the pics it will make sense. Oh yea brotha, gotta have one of those!
      Well I didnt take any before pics. But all seven spot welds were into the frame. I used my spot weld drill but had to be very careful not to cut into the frame itself. Then I used a hacksaw blade and cut the spot weld with the blade between the frame and bump stop sheetmetal. Then used the die grinder to help thin out the bumpstop sheetmetal so it would fail when I hit it with the chisel. Well now both are off and no frame damage. So I am happy. Drilling holes now for all the brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoDon View Post
      That's funny, I did the ones on my 63 Falcon today. I ended up using an air chisel to blow them apart and then ground down the spot welds that were hidden inside of the upright section. PITA!
      I was also cleaning off 47 years old undercoating and dirt (Note to self, never buy a car from a guy in Palmdale that lives on a dirt road ever again)

My TCI Rear supports and frame brackets are now back off and going for powder coating.
      Haha. well good timing. Did you need to remove your bumpstops to get the frame saddle brackets far enough forward?

Haha. well good timing. Did you need to remove your bumpstops to get the frame saddle brackets far enough forward?
      NO, I just didn't feel I needed the anymore with the Coil Overs having built in bumps and I need the tire clearance.
      The measurements in the TCI Instruction were WRONG for the placement. If you move them forward to that position (the instructions) the frame bracket (U Channels) will NOT line up with the cradle!
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'

NO, I just didn't feel I needed the anymore with the Coil Overs having built in bumps and I need the tire clearance.
      The measurements in the TCI Instruction were WRONG for the placement. If you move them forward to that position (the instructions) the frame bracket (U Channels) will NOT line up with the cradle!

Same here, I am going to run afcos with bump stops built in. I installed the cradle first then put the frame sadles in. My bump stops were in the wayand I had to move the the sadles forward another 1/2 inch. What year falcon are you building. I think they might be different. My measurement from the spring eye was 21.75" not 21.5". show some pics of your build.

Here is the pics of the installed craddle. Tomorrow I will pull it out and chop it all up. I need to make a few mods to work with my 3-link design.

Mines a 63 Convertible. I think the back half of the Uni Body frame is the same though. The brackets butted right up to the bumpstops to be in position and the measurement that said 21 1/2 turned out to be 18"! Interestingly it was 21 1/2 to the one bolt hole

Here is the pics of the installed craddle. Tomorrow I will pull it out and chop it all up. I need to make a few mods to work with my 3-link design.
      Good to hear that I'm not the only one who buys perfectly good parts and cuts them up and changes them!
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters

Mines a 63 Convertible. I think the back half of the Uni Body frame is the same though. The brackets butted right up to the bumpstops to be in position and the measurement that said 21 1/2 turned out to be 18"! Interestingly it was 21 1/2 to the one bolt hole
      Actually they look a little different to me. Your bump stop is a different shape and size than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjkadron View Post
      Good to hear that I'm not the only one who buys perfectly good parts and cuts them up and changes them!

HAHA word!

[QUOTE=falcon65;730956]
      QUOTE]

Actually they look a little different to me. Your bump stop is a different shape and size than mine.
      Could be. Did your instructions say to put the frame bracket right up against them though? Mine did and that position was right, just the measurement from the old spring Eye was wrong.
      All that ugly old undercoating is now gone as well and man was that a mess to remove. At least I have a lift so I was standing up, not laying on my back

haha, your lucky to have a lift. I was up and down all day for the last 3 days. I think I did about 10,000 squats. HAHA.

It said put it all the way to the bump stop. BUt that was only 21 inches. I needed 21.5 inches. So the bumpstop had to go.

Luckily my car had no undercoating. Jsut a little in the wheelwells.

haha, your lucky to have a lift. I was up and down all day for the last 3 days. I think I did about 10,000 squats. HAHA.

It said put it all the way to the bump stop. BUt that was only 21 inches. I needed 21.5 inches. So the bumpstop had to go.

Luckily my car had no undercoating. Jsut a little in the wheelwells.
      Actually, undercoating is a two edged sword. It is a pain to take off.. But my car (either one of them actually) wouldn't be here without it.
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters

Page 18 of 101 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 68 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com